Craftinsure renewal 21.5% increase

PaulD

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It was a bit windy on the Coventry the other day, blew one of Mrs Hounds garden ornaments over... 🤣

A nine figure insurance claim I guess then? More than for the Ever Given that got stuck in the Suez, I would imagine... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

A nine figure insurance claim I guess then? More than for the Ever Given that got stuck in the Suez, I would imagine... 

Fortunately the garden ornament was undamaged, so our premiums are unlikely to rise much this year. 🤣

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

If I were you I'd be asking them why. 

Reply said it is due to “rising claims costs due to inflation” and “it has been necessary to apply a general increase in premiums this year”. Inflation is not 21.5% so not very convincing. When was your renewal date Flyboy?

I am shopping around this time. First quote came in same as Craftinsure’s renewal quote.

Having to shop around every year for house, car, boat insurance as well as energy is a right pain in the stern. 

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes I know this, hence I said - "Ah so inland boats are not insured via. marine brokers?"

I think you misunderstood the point I was making.

I don't understand the point of the reference to brokers

In defence of CraftInsure, I had my first ever claim last year.

Due to two bilge pumps in my cruiser stern narrowboat running excessively in the rainy season, they eventually flattened the batteries and stopped working.

The engine bay consequently got flooded to about 12"+ deep.  Luckily it was spotted before the whole thing sank.

CraftInsure paid out in excess of £6K for the damage, and were very fair about it.

That's far more important to me than saving a few bob on the premium.

Although in fact, they were the lowest of the quotes I had at the time.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

Reply said it is due to “rising claims costs due to inflation” and “it has been necessary to apply a general increase in premiums this year”. Inflation is not 21.5% so not very convincing. When was your renewal date Flyboy?

I am shopping around this time. First quote came in same as Craftinsure’s renewal quote.

Having to shop around every year for house, car, boat insurance as well as energy is a right pain in the stern. 

Renewal date 27th. Feb.  58ft NB.    Built 2008

"Based on the information we hold, your premium (inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax, current rate 12%) will be £197.57 with a Policy excess of £200.00 (last year’s premium was £204.15 with excess £200.00) "

Edited by Flyboy

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Renewal date 27th. Feb.  58ft NB.    Built 2008

"Based on the information we hold, your premium (inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax, current rate 12%) will be £197.57 with a Policy excess of £200.00 (last year’s premium was £204.15 with excess £200.00) "

Thanks Flyboy. My renewal is £129.36. 50ft narrowboat, built 2006. Excess £300. Probably I should move on and do something else!

Just spent 2 hours repairing a £25 fence panel. The first mate told me it’s “Nothing New for 22”

4 hours ago, Rebotco said:

In defence of CraftInsure, I had my first ever claim last year.

Due to two bilge pumps in my cruiser stern narrowboat running excessively in the rainy season, they eventually flattened the batteries and stopped working.

The engine bay consequently got flooded to about 12"+ deep.  Luckily it was spotted before the whole thing sank.

CraftInsure paid out in excess of £6K for the damage, and were very fair about it.

That's far more important to me than saving a few bob on the premium.

Although in fact, they were the lowest of the quotes I had at the time.

I was also happy with how Craftinsure handled my claim last year. Much smaller claim, but one they could very easily have weaselled out of paying

My premium went up by a little more than 21%, but I can live with that.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

May I humbly suggest that it's "time for a new first mate"  (c:

Bit drastic. Called “mek do and mend” around here. Saves all those boring shopping trips.

17 hours ago, Tacet said:

I don't understand the point of the reference to brokers

17 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

They were mentioned in an earlier post.

Possibly (but I can't see where).

In any event, was the point you were making only that brokers were mentioned earlier?  Seems a curious point to make in itself.

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

Possibly (but I can't see where).

In any event, was the point you were making only that brokers were mentioned earlier?  Seems a curious point to make in itself.

Brokers were definitely mentioned not 'possibly'

As I cannot be bothered to type out a lengthy explanation of the point I fear your will have to remain curious.

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Brokers were definitely mentioned not 'possibly'

As I cannot be bothered to type out a lengthy explanation of the point I fear your will have to remain curious.

Could you please be so kind as to quote that part of someone else's post mentioning "brokers" and preceding your own post.

50 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Could you please be so kind as to quote that part of someone else's post mentioning "brokers" and preceding your own post.

Why? Do you think I am lying?

If you want to have some sort of disagreement with me can I suggest you collect your own evidence to support it rather than expect me to provide it for you.

Edited by The Happy Nomad