Generators

Longmeadow

Featured Posts

Please be considerate.  Running a generator from early morning until gone 11 at night is not acceptable with other boaters trying to get some sleep.  Especially when the generator is a non-silenced especially noisy one. 

Edited by Longmeadow
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, MtB said:

CRT won't do anything beyond sending an email, which will be ignored by anyone thick-skinned enough to be running a frame genny until 11pm.

If they get enough complaints against a particular boat then they could, in theory refuse to relicence it 

9 hours ago, MtB said:

True, but the whole point of a boat is you can move away from the arseholes.

Its worth bearing in mind that this great advantage of being in a boat is not useful in every situation. 

For example, I am currently moored in a well-known town centre basin in the north west, and until a couple of days ago one of the moored boats was running a loud frame genny for about 4-5 hours each day. Mostly during daytime, to be fair to them, but sometimes evening and occasionally after 8pm. 

For the last few days this genny has not been running, and I've noticed the boat no longer has lights in the evening, so my guess is that its not occupied at the moment. 

There is a second quite loud genny on another boat nearby, but that has also fallen mysteriously silent in the last few days.

I have heard a couple of people mention that there had been complaints (including some from local residents, as there are terraced houses within 150 yards of the canal), and I remember it being mentioned on a thread here, so it is possible the CRT have been approached by the local authorities about this. 

But the option to move is one I don't want to feel forced into taking, because its a rather nice situation here- in fact I can see why its popular.

For those in need of retail therapy there are a fantastic variety of shops mostly within a mile or so, and the dandy socialite can avail himself of a good variety of pubs and restaurants. The keen historian will be positively enraptured by the number and variety of Roman ruins dotted all over the place. 

(In fact, I've no idea why the continuous moorers bother with mundane places like Nantwich when they have this cornucopia of delights not far away.)

Boaters who come here will usually want to stay put, and enjoy the fruits of decadent civilisation, before setting forth into the wilderness of muddy towpaths and and distant Spar shops once more. And to be fair, as a CCer, if you find a nice spot with decent solar and a dryish towpath, not too far from some good shops, you feel inclined to stay for a bit, and you resent feeling compelled to move because of a noise nuisance. 

That said, I personally take an unusually laissez faire attitude to unsociable gennys.

I don't know their circumstances, how late they get back to their boat, what kind of batteries and electrics they are living with, or their budget for improving things, so unless its after 11pm, I just try to ignore it, but I do totally understand people getting angry about it.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

If they get enough complaints against a particular boat then they could, in theory refuse to relicence it 

Was this issue not trawled through yet again only recently on here?

My understanding is no they can't in theory refuse to re-license a boat no matter how much genny noise it makes. If a boat has a BSS, insurance and a home mooring (or makes the declaration) and pays the fee, then CRT are compelled by law to issue a license. 

In practice however, CRT may refuse, citing a record of failure to meet the T&Cs, and the genny one in particular. This would put the anti-social, generator-running boater to one helluvalot for trouble going to law to force them to cough up the license CRT will ultimately be obliged to issue. 

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is also a fourth criteria, always required but rarely mentioned ............................... Payment.

How strange, you even quoted my post saying "pays the fee" ... never mind, its prolly your age kicking in... :hug:

11 hours ago, Longmeadow said:

Still running... on EA waters not CRT and I don't feel like moving the boat at this time of night....ignorant

I find the worse offenders are on EA waters- had one moor next to me once with an open frame site gennie with no exhaust once. Deafening. Owner was old, disabled and it was winter and it was his only heating system powering a fan heater 😃

I moved..

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Do EA have the 8 am to 8 pm only rule (or similar) in their Ts and Cs?

They didn't when I last had an EA licence, about 10 years ago.

Or to be totally accurate, I was not aware of one in my T&Cs. Its possible I just didn't notice it, not having a genny on that boat in the first place. 

54 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Do EA have the 8 am to 8 pm only rule (or similar) in their Ts and Cs?

To be honest Ive never looked but think its a more general rule and worded more along the lines of 'causing a nuiscance' or similar. 

Fairly unheard of by many anyhow 😃

The chap I mentioned moored right behind me on an empty St Neots mooring (as you know this is long). When I asked why he couldnt at least go the other end to me he said it was because 'the people in the houses would complain about him' !

So aware of noise nuiscance. Im no Saint and did point out his close resemblance to an anchor before I left 😀

@David Mack

Copied from EA byelaws-

5 Electric Generators, etc
No person shall on a recreational 
waterway or on a bank thereof cause 
or permit an electric generator or other 
engine to be operated in connection 
with any vessel when the same is 
moored so as to cause disturbance or 
annoyance to other persons enjoying 
the amenities of the recreational 
waterway.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Longmeadow said:

Please be considerate.  Running a generator from early morning until gone 11 at night is not acceptable with other boaters trying to get some sleep.  Especially when the generator is a non-silenced especially noisy one. 

I can't help thinking you're addressing your complaint to the wrong audience. People who join CWDF are interested in boats and the waterways. They know the rules and know that generators and engines must be switched off by 8pm. 

So you're wasting your time telling us to be considerate. You need to address your concerns to the people flouting the rules.

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

@David Mack

Copied from EA byelaws-

5 Electric Generators, etc
No person shall on a recreational 
waterway or on a bank thereof cause 
or permit an electric generator or other 
engine to be operated in connection 
with any vessel when the same is 
moored so as to cause disturbance or 
annoyance to other persons enjoying 
the amenities of the recreational 
waterway.

So the other boater shouldn't have annoyed you, but he could have annoyed the householders at the other end of the mooring since they weren't "enjoying the amenities of the recreational waterway"!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So the other boater shouldn't have annoyed you, but he could have annoyed the householders at the other end of the mooring since they weren't "enjoying the amenities of the recreational waterway"!

I think the fact he had already spent weeks there (and many more after) probably influenced who he annoyed more 😀