What size nut fits this spanner?

Featured Posts

I need to replace a couple of brass nuts. The nuts fit a number 12 spanner (deduced because the number 11 spanner was a fraction too small, the number 13 is too big, and the number 12 spanner is missing 😉 ) 

Any idea what size nut fits a number 12 spanner please? 

🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧

It is possible that it is an imperial nut of some sort, not metric. Depends where it was made and how long ago.

The numbers you describe are metric measurements across the flats of the spanner, or nut in mm, so it would be 12mm AF, not number 12.

In imperial a 7/16" spanner would be 11.11mm across the faces and 15/32" would be 11.91mm across, which is why I asked. The standard ranges of metric nuts go

M6 thread take 10mm AF nuts/spanners

M8 threads take 13mm AF nuts/spanners

M10 threads take 15mm AF nuts/spanners.

These are the most common by far, but you do see other metric nuts for specific uses and I have seen 12mm AF nuts being used. Various imperial ranges exist too. Using the wrong size spanner, or buying the wrong nut could cause a lot of damage. Rounding off the nut faces and wrecking the threads respectively.

Jen

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

12mm probably.

What is it on?

Ah now interesting, there is no 12mm a/f nut in the metric thread range according to the site below. Odd because the 12mm spanner in my toolbox gets a lot of use. 

https://amesweb.info/Fasteners/Nut/Metric-Hex-Nut-Sizes-Dimensions-Chart.aspx

They're on a diesel day tank I acquired second hand, holding in place the "sight glass" aka see-through straw wot shows the level of fuel in the tank like this -> 🌡

I need to replace it with some sort of end nuts / blanking nuts, to take the level indicator out altogether, so I'm ship-shape for my BSS later this year. 😊 

Just now, BlueStringPudding said:

They're on a diesel day tank I acquired second hand, holding in place the "sight glass" aka see-through straw wot shows the level of fuel in the tank like this -> 🌡

I need to replace it with some sort of end nuts / blanking nuts, to take the level indicator out altogether, so I'm ship-shape for my BSS later this year. 😊  No idea whether they'll be metric or imperial. 

3 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I need to replace it with some sort of end nuts / blanking nuts, to take the level indicator out altogether, so I'm ship-shape for my BSS later this year. 😊 

In that case they are probably BSP or other pipe thread.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It is possible that it is an imperial nut of some sort, not metric. Depends where it was made and how long ago.

The numbers you describe are metric measurements across the flats of the spanner, or nut in mm, so it would be 12mm AF, not number 12.

In imperial a 7/16" spanner would be 11.11mm across the faces and 15/32" would be 11.91mm across, which is why I asked. The standard ranges of metric nuts go

M6 thread take 10mm AF nuts/spanners

M8 threads take 13mm AF nuts/spanners

M10 threads take 15mm AF nuts/spanners.

These are the most common by far, but you do see other metric nuts for specific uses and I have seen 12mm AF nuts being used. Various imperial ranges exist too. Using the wrong size spanner, or buying the wrong nut could cause a lot of damage. Rounding off the nut faces and wrecking the threads respectively.

Jen

Surely M10 is 17mm spanner. Unless you have a Renault who have some odd spanner v thread sizes.

Well, Alan, someone told me it had to go to pass the BSS. Either someone on here or possibly the BSS examiner last time around, when I got him to look at the installation (it hadn't yet all been connected up)

Of course if it can stay, I'll be happier,  less work for me and I still get to see how much fuel is in the tank! 😊

3 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Well, Alan, someone told me it had to go to pass the BSS. Either someone on here or possibly the BSS examiner last time around, when I got him to look at the installation (it hadn't yet all been connected up)

Of course if it can stay, I'll be happier,  less work for me and I still get to see how much fuel is in the tank! 😊

Of course the examiner that you get may not be able to read, in which case he may well say it is not allowed.

They are not allowed on PETROL engined boats, but are allowed on Diesel engined boats BUT need to be correctly installed :

2.6 Fuel gauges

2.6.1 Are petrol tanks free of glass or plastic tube or strip-type fuel gauges? R

Check each petrol tank for glass or plastic tube or strip-type fuel gauges. Petrol tanks must not be fitted with glass or plastic tube or strip-type fuel gauges.

2.6.2 Are any glass or plastic tube or strip-type fuel gauges closely coupled to the tank, fitted with a self-closing valve and in good condition? R

Check each diesel tank for the provision of glass or plastic tube or strip-type fuel gauges. If provided check the installation arrangements. Glass or plastic tube or strip-type fuel gauges must be:

• closely coupled to the tank; and,

• fitted with self-closing valves at the bottom; and,

• complete and free of signs of leaks and other signs of damage or deterioration.

Applicability – self-closing valves are not required for fuel gauges on any diesel-fuelled vessel formerly used for the commercial carriage of freight or passengers or as a tug or as an icebreaker and which is to be licensed for use as a pleasure vessel, or registered for use as a houseboat, unless used for the purposes of hire or reward.

Documentary evidence of former use addressed to the BSS manager is required to enjoy this exception.

Applicability – self-closing valves are not required on sight gauge arrangements on day tanks having a maximum capacity of up to 30 litres

6 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

This is what I'm talking about: 

20220201_165257.jpg

That is an enots fitting and if you had the correct spanner it would  have 3/16" or 1/4 whitworth stamped on it depending on the pipe size

Edited by Split Pin
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Thanks. But how does one find out if it's got a self-closing valve, if it needs one?  

(It's for a drip fed heater, not an engine)

From the photo, it does not currently  have a self closing valve.  How much diesel will the tank hold?  If you do not know please give us the tank  height and the diameter and we can work it out.  It looks to he close to the 30 l exemption, but it is quite hard to get a good sense of scale from you pic.

N

I've got several 12mm (across flats) spanners. Always useful to have. Plenty on e Bay from about £4. 

As someone else has said probably a BSP nut which I've always found  a bit hit and miss in the spanner department. 

As for the sight glass I vaguely remember a need for isolation valves but I may be making that up.

Edited by Slim
Correcting predicted spelling

5 minutes ago, BEngo said:

From the photo, it does not currently  have a self closing valve.  How much diesel will the tank hold?  If you do not know please give us the tank  height and the diameter and we can work it out.  It looks to he close to the 30 l exemption, but it is quite hard to get a good sense of scale from you pic.

N

Give or take, it's 32cm long × 18 cm diameter.

Kind of about the size of a really fat bottle of Coke to look at, I reckon. So maybe 3-5 litres? 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

32 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Thanks. But how does one find out if it's got a self-closing valve, if it needs one?  

(It's for a drip fed heater, not an engine)

If it is less than a 30 litre "day tank" then it doesn't need a valve,

17 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Give or take, it's 32cm long × 18 cm diameter.

8 litres.

The capacity based on your dimensions is 8.143 litres.  So nowhere near the 30 litre limit.

I suggest you find the detailed source of A de E's reference and have it handy to show the BSS examiner before he starts.  

N

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

The capacity based on your dimensions is 8.143 litres.  So nowhere near the 30 litre limit.

I suggest you find the detailed source of A de E's reference and have it handy to show the BSS examiner before he starts.  

N

Easy enough - it is the BSS guidelines.

I cannot post it because it is too large for the forum software.