More sharp corners!

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've heard both. 

Regarding the comments in the last few posts, why should they be "pot-smashers"? We had one in our first boat, , and we've had one in our current home since 2007 or thereabouts. We haven't been aware of any propensity for breaking pots compared with steel sinks - which often look cheap and nasty by comparison.

We do, of course, use a washing-up bowl  in ours, as I suppose most people do, unless we're washing something bulky such as a very large pan, which is not likely to break anyway.

My understanding was that a Belfast Sink is a deep one like we had on the boat and now have at home and a Butler sink was a shallower version, often split into two by a raised section in the middle.

But on checking with Mr/Mrs Google it seems my understanding is wrong.

As to 'pot smashers' yes that is definitely our experience. Stainless steel seems to absorb the impact more easily as it flexes all be it only by a small amount. Combined with granite work tops at home we have broken a few glasses/pots/egg cups that probably would have survived otherwise.

Our boat being on waters that 'move about a bit' was built by boat builders and has recessed 'buttons' on all (Bedroom, barhroom, saloon, galley and heads) cupboard doors. simply 'press button in' to open the door, close door and 'press button in to lock'

May not be the most aesthetically pleasing system but the boat is designed to be functional and not have sticky out bits to catch clothing or to fall against.

Versatility-35-24.jpg

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

My understanding was that a Belfast Sink is a deep one like we had on the boat and now have at home and a Butler sink was a shallower version, often split into two by a raised section in the middle.

Ours is neither fish nor fowl then: it's neither very deep nor very shallow, it is a one-and-half width, i.e. full-width washing-up sink, then draining//soaking half-width sink, then crockery standing area  to the right. The whole thing is ceramic. I'm not sure what it's called, we just liked it.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Back in the day when I was a young plummer, they were more commonly called "butler sinks". 

That's what I've always thought they were called.

As for sharp corners as opposed to radiused ones I suspect cost is a factor. Straight cuts are much easier and quicker than curves.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We like the look which of course is a purely subjective thing but there are two distinct negatives to one.

1 - anything pot or glass dropped into one whilst it is empty is highly unlikely to escape unscathed [snip].

2 - Both ours on the boat and at home are quite deep, so bending/stooping to reach in one for long periods can be tough on a dicky back.

And on a boat the other disadvantage may be that a deep sink prevents gravity draining or means that you end up with an external hull skin fitting far too close to the waterline.

I knew a couple fitting out a nice Tim Tyler shell and the girlfriend insisted on one of those butler/Belfast sinks in the galley at the stern of the boat. The result was predictably that the boyfriend ended up cutting a big hole in the hull about an inch above the waterline for the skin fitting because he wanted the sink to gravity drain. They ruined their boat for the sake of an interior fashion trend. That's an example of prioritising form over function when choosing fixtures for a fit-out. It's also an example of a bloke who wasn't able to stand up to his girlfriend's stupid ideas! 😋

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

And on a boat the other disadvantage may be that a deep sink prevents gravity draining or means that you end up with an external hull skin fitting far too close to the waterline.

I knew a couple fitting out a nice Tim Tyler shell and the girlfriend insisted on one of those butler/Belfast sinks in the galley at the stern of the boat. The result was predictably that the boyfriend ended up cutting a big hole in the hull about an inch above the waterline for the skin fitting because he wanted the sink to gravity drain. They ruined their boat for the sake of an interior fashion trend. That's an example of prioritising form over function when choosing fixtures for a fit-out. It's also an example of a bloke who wasn't able to stand up to his girlfriend's stupid ideas! 😋

I honestly can't recall how close our sink drain was to the waterline but it definitely drained through gravity not a pump. I suspect it may therefore have been quite close. It was a colecraft shell.

39 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I did always wonder if the regulation for fitting height for sinks was being misinterpreted...

Surely it only applies if water getting in through the skin fitting can flood the boat? If it's a drain into a sink, and the top of the sink (or the overflow) is around 1m above the baseplate, then any water entering (past the U-bend) will just fill up the sink.

I seem to remember there being something about this in the regulations, but I could be wrong... 😉

43 minutes ago, IanD said:

I did always wonder if the regulation for fitting height for sinks was being misinterpreted...

Surely it only applies if water getting in through the skin fitting can flood the boat? If it's a drain into a sink, and the top of the sink (or the overflow) is around 1m above the baseplate, then any water entering (past the U-bend) will just fill up the sink.

I seem to remember there being something about this in the regulations, but I could be wrong... 😉

That was my thinking until I pinged two hull penetration fittings off.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Is this meant to be a good or bad example? It doesn't look particularly good or bad to me.

It was me trying to find the pic that Mike's post was about so there was a visual reference for those without the mag, seems i had right page but wrong month.

And the best place for a Belfast sink is outside someone elses house being used as a planter :D 

Have also seen them used as water troughs for various beasts.

Edited by Hudds Lad
add sink info

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

That was my thinking until I pinged two hull penetration fittings off.

Surely that's no different to fittings like inlets (or outlets) for freshwater cooling? If these spring a leak at the join to the hull then it's glug glug time, which is why hull fittings are always supposed to have double clamps to pipes if they're below the 250mm level.

Edited by IanD

18 minutes ago, IanD said:

, which is why hull fittings are always supposed to have double clamps to pipes if they're below the 250mm level.

Which do nothing when the fitting falls out of the hull. I don't think these would be used for submerged coolant fittings, they would be welded stubs which is what I would want if ever I had another new boat

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Back in the day when I was a young plummer, they were more commonly called "butler sinks". 

I thought the difference between a Belfast sink and a Butler sink was the latter never had an inbuilt overflow, so the butler had to watch the sink being filled as to not waste water overflowing the sink. The Belfast with it’s inbuilt overflow could be left to fill but wasted water due to the inbuilt overflow. This was not liked by the rich, hence the butler watch????

I have a laboratory sink, like a Butler but smaller😂

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, IanD said:

😉

I never referred to any regulations regarding the height of through hull fittings above the waterline, I was simply talking about best practice.

What you're saying is fine but it relies on a jubilee clip to a hose or other plastic waste fitting/pipe. Personally I wouldn't want the watertight integrity of my entire boat to be dependent on a jubilee clip or two.

Then there's the potential for brass skin fittings to get damaged of knocked off in locks or against concrete or brick walls leaving a hole in the hull just above the waterline which the steerer may be completely unaware of. Flush ground welded-in pipes are an alternative to skin fittings but they can corrode.

In all cases it just makes more sense to have waste outlets a reasonable height above the waterline unless perhaps you're fitting a proper seacock.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Surely that's no different to fittings like inlets (or outlets) for freshwater cooling? If these spring a leak at the join to the hull then it's glug glug time, which is why hull fittings are always supposed to have double clamps to pipes if they're below the 250mm level.

The only difference for seacocks and intake valves is that they're usually positioned somewhere more protected where they're not going to get knocked off. If one does get smashed off from the outside then two clamps to the pipe on the inside isn't going to help!

9 hours ago, haggis said:

It's funny how things come back into fashion. I was brought up many moons ago with big white sinks and wasn't sorry when they sort of disappeared . Now they are back and my opinion of them hadn't changed. I can't really see their attraction.

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ideal for washing welly boots, flower pots etc.

They'll also easily hold a week's worth of washing up ...