30 cwt cranes Peak forest canal

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I think that sort of crane would have been in a transhipment shed:

DSCF1415.JPG

Notice the pin at the top of the post that fits into a socket in the rafters. The one at Aylesbury has had a separate post fitted to provide a socket, this limits the swing of the crane. Also, note the overhead wheel to keep the platform clear

A tramway crane would have all of it's mechanism at ground level

Richard

Hm yes there is one similar at the Whaley bridge transhipment shed but there would be no way to support it that high at my place. 

Just now, sparrowcycles said:

Hm yes there is one similar at the Whaley bridge transhipment shed but there would be no way to support it that high at my place. 

Exactly the problem the original tramway would have had

Richard

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

I think that sort of crane would have been in a transhipment shed:

DSCF1415.JPG

Notice the pin at the top of the post that fits into a socket in the rafters. The one at Aylesbury has had a separate post fitted to provide a socket, this limits the swing of the crane. Also, note the overhead wheel to keep the platform clear

A tramway crane would have all of it's mechanism at ground level

Richard

That is correct. The Aylesbury crane did have a wheel at high level too, though in its location as shown was only there as an ornament. Whether it was moved from the other side of the basin is unknown, but an early plan of the basin shows a plinth base which could still be seen beneath the sheds for timber storage that were placed there much later. Someone from the ACS would know.

2019199121_AYbasin0003(Medium).JPG.76f55c790c23c44257188b79689d4819.JPG

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1