Washing machine advice wanted.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

May be in need of a new washing machine or washer/dryer on my narrowboat to replace a faulty one if I can't fix it. Door won't open and not draining. Need to pull out and undo drain pump filter and clean and take top off to get access to door lock.

I would like the washer to work on a Victron 3kw pure sine inverter if I go out  like the old one does.

Worried the more modern digital display machines won't run properly on an inverter.

I like Bosch, Sister has Hoover. Old washer/dryer is an Indesit W12.

What newer models do people have that work fine off the inverter?

Many thanks. James.

45 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

May be in need of a new washing machine or washer/dryer on my narrowboat to replace a faulty one if I can't fix it. Door won't open and not draining. Need to pull out and undo drain pump filter and clean and take top off to get access to door lock.

I would like the washer to work on a Victron 3kw pure sine inverter if I go out  like the old one does.

Worried the more modern digital display machines won't run properly on an inverter.

Many thanks. James.

Can't advise on a new machine but can say with a degree of confidence that this might just be a blocked filter or a pump jammed with something like a paperclip.

That will stop the machine draining and will consequently stop the door opening.

The drain filters and pump are normally accessed from the front of the machine so normally no need to move the machine. The difficult bit is normally getting rid of the retained water to get the filter out, if you remove the filter without doing that your floor will get very very wet. The method of draining differs per machine but often they have a drain tube accessed behind the drain cover door. It can take an age to get rid of all the water.

What make/model is it?

51 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Many thanks. James.

From reading washing machine woes here, there is no guarantee that any individual washing machine will work with any individual inverter. Folks say I have X inverter and Y washing machine and it works fine, other reply "I had exactly the same and it wouldn't work".

It seems to be very much a lottery.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Can't advise on a new machine but can say with a degree of confidence that this might just be a blocked filter or a pump jammed with something like a paperclip.

Our domestic washer was jammed with a piece of curved steel about the size of one of the wife's undertits. Buggered the pump completely.

We have a Victron 3kw inverter and our old 12 year old Candy washing machine worked fine. When that broke beyond repair a couple of months ago we bought a new Candy from Midland Chandlers. After using it only once it packed up. It would begin to fill and then stop. Candy's engineer diagnosed a faulty solenoid, replaced it, and it worked for 2 washes but now has developed another problem in that when the programme starts it begins to fill with water but discharges it at the same time. I've checked the hoses etc and will now have to call them out again.

The issue is that it's in it's own cupboard in a narrow corridor and at about waist height meaning the only way for the engineer to be able to access it to get the top or back off is to fetch it out and work on it outside the boat, a very tight squeeze and a hell of a job getting it out. This is a 2 person job and their engineers won't help. In fact they have a problem finding an engineer who will come out (they all seem to be sub contractors) because a lot of them refuse to come out to boats or caravans.

I'm wondering perhaps if it could be our Victron 3kw inverter causing the problems?

27 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

That would be my choice as well, keep it simple.

55 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Twin tub washing machines don't have a problem with inverters. Just saying. Simple mechanical timer controls and electric motors.

Thats what we have on both of our boats.

Uses absolute minimum of electric

Uses far less water than an automatic

Gets clothes dryer than an automatic

Whats not to like ?

1) It requires some human intervention (you cannot just put it on and go off to the pub)

2) It requires lifting out of the cupboard and using on the rear-deck, shower, or draining board.

3) Load size is smaller than an automatic.

• Greenie 1

Washer dryer drain pump unclogged! Had 10 nails, a 50p, 20p and 2 pence piece plus a pozi drive screwdriver end bit. Poor thing! Draining great now and works. At least it was free 7 years ago. Door catch not working, and had to prise door open which snapped the door catch tang, so ordered new handle kit, and door lock actuator for £12.74, so once they arrive hopefully all working again. Washing now at my Nan's for me to put in. Thanks all, for your recommendations and advice.

James👍

7 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Washer dryer drain pump unclogged! Had 10 nails, a 50p, 20p and 2 pence piece plus a pozi drive screwdriver end bit. Poor thing! Draining great now and works. At least it was free 7 years ago. Door catch not working, and had to prise door open which snapped the door catch tang, so ordered new handle kit, and door lock actuator for £12.74, so once they arrive hopefully all working again. Washing now at my Nan's for me to put in. Thanks all, for your recommendations and advice.

James👍

Good result!

3 hours ago, canals are us? said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to have a look at the drain filter and pump. What model of Beko was it?

Many thanks. James.👍

Sorry, I'm not on the boat at the moment so can't help. Also it's over 5 years old so probably not a current model.

Well done getting it drained.

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That's what comes of not emptying your trouser pockets before putting clothes in the machine!

There's often a dispute in our house about who's specific responsibility this is.

The wearer or the person placing said item in the machine.

If the item is mine and I've forgotten to empty the pockets and Mrs HN is placing the item in the machine it is obviously the latter.

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If the item is mine and I've forgotten to empty the pockets and Mrs HN is placing the item in the machine it is obviously the latter

Good luck with that! We're land bound but "it's my fault" we have lots of very clean dog poo bags, my fault we have a clean dog treat bag.... you get the picture.

I find the Zanussi Studio Line to be good in boats, I have the FC-1200W and my friend the newer ZWC1301. Both work fine off our inverters Sterling and Victron 2500 minimum. I find the new version better for quick wash much faster then mine and if I could chose the ZWC1301 is the one I would have.

Both small enough to easily fit into a boat.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

Around 5 years ago, when the door catch on my son's washing machine snapped, I found a video on youtube which showed how to fit a replacement. It seems they are pretty standard parts , and I was able to get one from a local shop that does repairs for well under £5.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I find the Zanussi Studio Line to be good in boats, I have the FC-1200W and my friend the newer ZWC1301. Both work fine off our inverters Sterling and Victron 2500 minimum. I find the new version better for quick wash much faster then mine and if I could chose the ZWC1301 is the one I would have.

Both small enough to easily fit into a boat.

With the ZWC1301 you may have to keep the inverter engaged and not allow it to go into standby by having a light on at the same time. There is a low consumption pause in the spin cycle that causes some inverters to go to sleep and then wake up and start the spin all over.