Eberspacher not working

tothecut

Featured Posts

Hi, we are in the process of buying a narrowboat. We got the survey done, amongst others, there is an issue which worries us a bit. The Eberspacher boiler did not power up during the survey. Is there a good chance that there is only a faulty part which needs fixing, or we will have to replace the whole unit? We are thinking to ask the sellers to reduce the asking price by £1.500.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

You may well need to replace the batteries too if they have been lying flat whilst on brokerage.

That's right. But we are prepared for it and for some other issues, which we identified during the viewing and others which we expected to be found by the surveyor.

We are realistic.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Fortunately I don't need a BSS.

Only my boats 😆

And with good reason too.

Labels to identify the various filling up and emptying points and what they are for. Fail.

Fire extinguishers and fire blanket. Fail.

Isolation valves and switches to turn you off in an emergency. All correctly labelled. Fail.

Smoke and CO alarm. Fail.

Correctly fused two wire nervous system. Fail.

Gas pipes made from seamless copper. Fail.

• Haha 1

On 28/01/2022 at 08:21, Rob-M said:

The batteries may not have had enough charge for it to run.

I had this on the boat I bought. Turned out also the starter battery was also dead, which I got replaced. The Eberspacher worked, but in a fault a few weeks later the fuse went on it, which was in a small white box on the cables near the unit. Easily fixed. 

There have also been issues with Eberspächers in boats lying idle during lockdowns from the B7 FAME content of gas oil (red diesel). Of the 19 boats in the Scottish Canals' hire fleet, 7 heaters were not working and when they went into the local dealer he found that ball valves in the pumps had stuck. This coincides with the the refinery at Grangemouth ceasing to stock FAME-free diesel, which he sees in conjunction with long periods of non-use, as the cause of the problem.

The short-term fix is obviously cheap and simple: dismantle the offending part, clean and reassemble.

The medium- to long-term solution is to switch to HVO, preferably before we are looking at B10 in the not too distant future.