Watford Locks stoppage works

matty40s

Featured Posts

Interesting video from Alan from StarCafts showing the scope of works at the Watford Flight

Lots of debris that shouldnt be there and a large void in the lock bottom visible under the water.

The side ponds were due to be dredged out at some point, the arial shots show how desparately this is needed for water capacity storage.

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The side ponds were due to be dredged out at some point, the arial shots show how desparately this is needed for water capacity storage.

Side pond capacity isn't too critical as long as long the locks don't leak. They just need to be able to supply one lock-full without the level dropping too much, when turning the flight round from descending to ascending.

MP.

18 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Side pond capacity isn't too critical as long as long the locks don't leak. They just need to be able to supply one lock-full without the level dropping too much, when turning the flight round from descending to ascending.

MP.

The top sidepond has been emptying overnight for 2 years now, perhaps that's where the water that has undermined the locks has come from.

The leak between Lock 6 and 7 was fixed during the last stoppage by installing a new clapper post i.e. the post that the top gate of Lock 6 closes up against, so that is no longer an issue.  The erosion of the bank alongside Lock 3 (the main reason for the last stoppage) was due to an unused culvert being damaged by water entering the lock from the (red) paddle.  The culvert and surrounding floor area has now been fully bricked up and the cavities filled.

The current stoppage involves the regular routine maintenance work i.e. gate replacements, grouting and ladder maintenance.

As MP states, the side ponds have more than enough capacity to keep the flight operating.

6 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

The leak between Lock 6 and 7 was fixed during the last stoppage by installing a new clapper post i.e. the post that the top gate of Lock 6 closes up against, so that is no longer an issue.  The erosion of the bank alongside Lock 3 (the main reason for the last stoppage) was due to an unused culvert being damaged by water entering the lock from the (red) paddle.  The culvert and surrounding floor area has now been fully bricked up and the cavities filled.

The current stoppage involves the regular routine maintenance work i.e. gate replacements, grouting and ladder maintenance.

As MP states, the side ponds have more than enough capacity to keep the flight operating.

The bottom of the lock at 4m 31 sec is NOT how it is supposed to be, neither is the debris just before that.

• 1 month later...

There is work going on this week to remove safety fencing and other related 'stuff', this would suggest that things are going to plan. 

If you use social media, @WatfordLocks on Twitter may be a useful source of updates.

1 hour ago, Proper Job said:

Does anyone know how the works are going on the Watford flight?

Are they going to be open for Saturday?

I need to move a boat from Welford to Aynho for close of play Monday

Cheers  🙂

All seems to be on time for the Saturday 5th opening.  I’ll be up there on Friday and will update the @WatfordLocks Twitter account first if it is likely to change.

For those (including me) that dont do twitter- Watford opened earlier this afternoon and is fairly empty at the moment, though havent looked up the top yet.

Sat here at the bottom like Billy Nomates with only a workboat for company 😀

• Happy 1

A few boats managed to get through today, Friday.  Fully open again on Saturday 5th as planned.  March hours are open at 9.30; last boat 14.45. Flight locked at 15.30.  Arrive well before 14.45 if you need to get through on the same day