Excitement over plan for Nottingham's historic British Waterways Building with a 'wow factor'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Excitement over plan for Nottingham's historic British Waterways Building with a 'wow factor' - Nottinghamshire Live (nottinghampost.com)

The transformation of the historic British Waterways Building in Nottingham has taken a significant step forward after plans were officially put forward to convert it into almost 100 flats.

Developers have tabled a bid to the city council to create 95 flats within the landmark property which sits off the Nottingham and Beeston Canal in Castle Wharf.

People welcomed the change of use of the towering city centre building, praising the character of the property and its location.

Roger Cass, 67, who volunteers for The Canal & River Trust and lives in Clifton, said: "It would be nice all done up and that is the going thing nowadays; people like the waterfront and it comes at a premium. It has that 'wow factor' along the canal - or at least I think so.

"There's a fair bit of history behind it I think - it has a bit of character but as long as the waterfront stays the same I don't really mind what it's used for.

"The issue is whether the flats will be affordable or if they will be expensive."

Roger Cass, 67, from Clifton, said the building had the 'wow factor'

Only the Glee comedy club remains open within Nottingham’s British Waterways Building

Edited by Alan de Enfield

This is the link to the planning application. The design has been done by Nottingham architects Franklin Ellis. https://publicaccess.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=R479YMLYJUQ00

I have memories of going round the building about 25years ago when it was empty - I was looking at a scheme to convert it to offices which never went ahead. The ceiling heights are quite low and the windows small - the floor to floor heights are between 2.8 and 3m so the ceiling heights will be around 2.35m . Given that the axis of the building is East-West apartments on the north side will be quite dark.

I have attached a couple of floor plans and elevations for interest.

GA_PLAN_PROPOSED_FIRST_FLOOR-1573092.PDF GA_PLAN_PROPOSED_GROUND_FLOOR-1573090.PDF PROPOSED_ELEVATION_-_NORTH-1573117.PDF PROPOSED_ELEVATION_-_SOUTH-1573118.PDF

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Its good that an old building can be saved and used rather than declining, but I really can't myself see any "excitement" in yet another housing development. 😀

It can be quite exciting if you are the developer. 

With 90 flats I'd say you stand to make (or lose) approx £3m.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, PaulD said:

Probably will ask CaRT to close the moorings on the opposite bank so all those boats don’t spoil the view!

Not happy if they do.

Best moorings in town. Around the corner from Castle Rock Brewery's 'Vat & Fiddle' and by the Police Bridewell with Mr and Ms Rozzer going in and out 24 hrs a day with the local miscreants,  of which there is an inexhaustible number.

How safe can you be in a town thats still as lawless as when Robin Hood was around?