Featured Posts

I'm planning our holiday on the waterways and struggling to decide between a ten day trip on the Kennett and Avon there and back again, or the South Pennine Ring.

We've done a good part of the Oxford Canal, which was wholly beautiful, even didn't mind Banbury. Also did the Four Counties, which was epic and breathtaking in a completely different way, although if I was going to split hairs ever so slightly marred at the beginning when going through the desolation of Eutraria at Stoke. (Note to readers - starve, rather than stopping off at Lindley Farm carvery).

My heart is with the SPR but a friend wants the K&A, but we both can be swayed. I like northerners and would like to stumble across Sean Bean and marry him, and alternatively the idea of all those white old ladies in Bath puts me off the K&A a little. I'd heard there are alot of towns on the SPR however, and am wary of a lot of it being like Eutraria.

Any thoughts?

How much hard work do you want to do?

I personally would like to see more people come and use the northern canals, perhaps then there would be more money spent on their upkeep. I did the Huddersfield narrow and broad single handed last year, although I did get a lot of help from other boaters and a volunteer from Standedge down to Slaithwaite.

The Rochdale is hard work and there's a lot of bad press about certain sections, but I would always advise people to check and see for themselves, for most it's just a few niggles.

I've never done the K&A, so can't comment on it, but I've also never wanted to go down there either.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Kevin

I didn't mind the derelict mills and warehouses. It was more the part where we were on the edge of the motorway and the only restaurant being a low quality carvery. 

There's four of us. I know for SPR it's double the locks than were on the four counties. There were good stretches of that however without any locks. We have the Pearson guide so I guess we know what we'll be getting ourselves into.

There is the rain to think about too... But then last year it seemed like that the north had a much better summer than the south.

I would go for the South Pennine Ring, Its really lovely- head onto the Marsden end of the Huddersfield first before the Rochdale summit I would, though that may mean a Monday start- take advise from the hire company, as the key is to get to Marsden on the evening of the day before the tunnel navigation is available and booked. The Huddersfield at Lock 1E also presently needs to be booked I believe . The hire firm may well  book both  . Ten days with 4 of you if you are experienced  should be just about OK, it maybe some long days, especially if stuff gets stuck on your prop. 4 allows a good rhythm with someone ahead setting the locks. The only possible issue is low pounds/ lock closures, but that can happen anywhere. 

You need to aim to be at the bottom of the Ashton flight and locked through the lower Rochdale locks ideally to the Rose of Lancaster or vice versa in one day. Thats fairly hard work. 

There are reasonable lock free stretches on the C&H which are lovely and you can head up to Marple aqueduct which is a good stretch of no locks.

We did exactly that ring (South Pennine) in 10 days on a hire boat from Shire Cruisers; if you did the same, the same itinerary would work for you. The only thing to note is that access to Thomas Telford Basin is now by resident keyfob not code, so you can't get back in on foot.

It's a fantastic trip so long as you like locks and have enough people (we had 4 on board) and are happy to spend most of each day travelling and not much time visiting places.

Edited by IanD

Bits of Manchester are 1000 times worse than Etruria, and with the SPR you will have two solid days in inner city urban Manchester, including parts where you really will not want to stop. Rochdale is not brilliant either. However some of the hilly sections are truly spectacular, and there are a few very nice towns if you have time to stop, Hebden Bridge in particular. You will not see many other boats. There is a small but real chance that stoppages or water shortages will seriously disrupt your holiday.

The K&A is a rural canal through some very pleasant countryside, some bits very very pretty and almost spectacular (but not to Rochdale Summit standards). Its towns and villages are all very pleasant and interesting, including Bath. It will be very busy with livaboards, visitors and hire boats, and finding good mooring spots might be difficult, especially in Bath. The K&A is really best done out of season. If you like rivers a trip down to Bristol and back could be the highlight of the holiday. The River Kennet end (if you do that bit) can be a bit tricky if there is any flow on the River.

The Rochdale (Eastern end) and K&A are possibly the two best canals on the system (as long as you are ok with big wide locks)

1 hour ago, WindLad said:

Thanks @Stroudwater1 and @IanD.

cheers for the heads up on logistics.

Have either of you done Kennett and Avon out of interest? Just wondering how you feel they compare.

Only from Bristol floating harbour to Dundas aquaduct (20 years ago) and Aldermaston to Reading 3 years ago . Livaboards were not as much of an issue though mooring even then was not easy in Bath.   Both also enjoyable, but I believe the best bits are in between including Caen Hill locks of course. Last year I walked around Dundas and its pretty busy now with livaboards. Its probably best to do both over two years 😄.    

Also agree with IanD Shire were excellent. They may quiz you over a 10 day plan- fairly thoroughly! 

Thanks, so much @dmr

I have a couple of friends around Chorlton and Stretford, and then I went to university in Manchester so I have many fond memories of it. I was also looking forward to Hebden and I have friends in Chorley. Sorry, this all feels like useless info but I'm just wondering if I weren't clear about why I wasn't a big fan of Eutraria. Just the lack of eating and pubbing options. I'll attach a photo of the awful roast I had nearby. 

PXL_20210523_131618642.jpg

Oh yeah @Stroudwater1, it sounds like it's become really popular to live aboard in the last couple of years. I can imagine it being very big around Bath and Bristol too.

I think me and my friend are going to have to toss for it. I thought maybe some more research might mean we'd be able to make a better call, but I'm still divided. However, good to get your advice and tips so thank you.

33 minutes ago, WindLad said:

Thanks, so much @dmr

I have a couple of friends around Chorlton and Stretford, and then I went to university in Manchester so I have many fond memories of it. I was also looking forward to Hebden and I have friends in Chorley. Sorry, this all feels like useless info but I'm just wondering if I weren't clear about why I wasn't a big fan of Eutraria. Just the lack of eating and pubbing options. I'll attach a photo of the awful roast I had nearby. 

PXL_20210523_131618642.jpg

Oh yeah @Stroudwater1, it sounds like it's become really popular to live aboard in the last couple of years. I can imagine it being very big around Bath and Bristol too.

I think me and my friend are going to have to toss for it. I thought maybe some more research might mean we'd be able to make a better call, but I'm still divided. However, good to get your advice and tips so thank you.

I've eaten already this evening but this makes me feel hungry again!

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Only from Bristol floating harbour to Dundas aquaduct (20 years ago) and Aldermaston to Reading 3 years ago . Livaboards were not as much of an issue though mooring even then was not easy in Bath.   Both also enjoyable, but I believe the best bits are in between including Caen Hill locks of course. Last year I walked around Dundas and its pretty busy now with livaboards. Its probably best to do both over two years 😄.    

Also agree with IanD Shire were excellent. They may quiz you over a 10 day plan- fairly thoroughly!

I talked to them before the trip and sent them my Canalplan schedule, they were perfectly happy with it -- also this wasn't our first trip with them and we'd done the HNC before so they knew we weren't going into it wearing rose-tinted glasses... 😉

There is always the chance that stoppages will screw you up or force you to change plans, but this is true of any canal, maybe more so on the Rochdale and HNC but Shire are well aware of this. You need to plan to do Standedge towards the beginning of the holiday (we did it on Monday from a Friday start) because it's only open 3 days a week, if you miss your slot due to a stoppage that's a 2 day delay (assuming you can get another slot, which may be impossible in summer) -- if this happens early in the holiday then you can go through and down the west side of the HNC and then turn and come back, if it happens late in the holiday you won't make it back to base.

Oh yes, as well as Thomas Telford Basin being inaccessible the nearby Jolly Sailor in Ducie Street is also no more 😞

Haven't done the K&A, have just never fancied it -- too Southern... 😉

Edited by IanD

I moored for a night last October in Picadilly just above the junction at the start of the Ashton, by the aqueduct on the towpath side, and didn't have any problems. Also enjoyed the Ashton locks both times I've done them.

There's always Stalyvegas to stop off in too..

Fingers crossed, you should love it. . 

2 hours ago, Jonkx said:

I moored for a night last October in Picadilly just above the junction at the start of the Ashton, by the aqueduct on the towpath side, and didn't have any problems. Also enjoyed the Ashton locks both times I've done them.

We stayed there last year and there were two boats who had been there for a while pending repair to a paddle on one of the “Rochdale  9”  none had any problems. Thomas Telford basin opposite is moor able just it’s  pretty clear you cant get out into Manc and back in. Ashton locks are  good now, not too busy either.

15 hours ago, WindLad said:

Any sights, pubs or restaurant recommendations, send them my way!

Cheers all.

See my trip report here (in case you missed it earlier) -- plenty of pub and food recommendations.

On 01/02/2022 at 14:59, Jonkx said:

There's always Stalyvegas to stop off in too..

But I know a boat that has moored in Newton Heath and had no trouble but its still not a wise thing to do 😀

My own view is that New Islington Marina is the best overnight stop as it gets the first couple of Rochdale locks done making the next very hard day a little bit easier. New Islington wanted £25 for a non secure breasted up mooring which is a bit steep, but hiding all afternoon the pub solved that problem.

We are quite deep and have been stuck in the New Islington pound a couple of times, its long so difficult to let water down which is another good reason to get the first two Rochdale locks done the day before the 18.

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

But I know a boat that has moored in Newton Heath and had no trouble but its still not a wise thing to do 😀

My own view is that New Islington Marina is the best overnight stop as it gets the first couple of Rochdale locks done making the next very hard day a little bit easier. New Islington wanted £25 for a non secure breasted up mooring which is a bit steep, but hiding all afternoon the pub solved that problem.

We are quite deep and have been stuck in the New Islington pound a couple of times, its long so difficult to let water down which is another good reason to get the first two Rochdale locks done the day before the 18.

Difficult if you're on your own, definitely. If you're with one other person, very likely.

If there are four of you on the boat like we had (Thomas Telford Basin to Rose of Lancaster) I don't think it's such a hard day even with the extra two locks, in fact going under the bridges where the friendly trolls lurk can be positively relaxing if you breathe deeply... 😉

Edited by IanD

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

Difficult if you're on your own, definitely. If you're with one other person, very likely.

If there are four of you on the boat like we had (Thomas Telford Basin to Rose of Lancaster) I don't think it's such a hard day even with the extra two locks, in fact going under the bridges where the friendly trolls lurk can be positively relaxing if you breathe deeply... 😉

It really all depends on how much water there is and how much rubbish is in the canal (and a few other factors).

We came up in October with two boats, an extra very experienced lock wheeler (of this forum), the famous CRT volunteer, plus a full time CRT man letting water down, and it still took 13 hours. The Rochdale 18 is a classic case of hope for the best and plan for the worse.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

It really all depends on how much water there is and how much rubbish is in the canal (and a few other factors).

We came up in October with two boats, an extra very experienced lock wheeler (of this forum), the famous CRT volunteer, plus a full time CRT man letting water down, and it still took 13 hours. The Rochdale 18 is a classic case of hope for the best and plan for the worse.

Wow, that's *really* bad. We had very little trouble, not even much round the prop, and took several hours less than you. Maybe we were just lucky and you were unlucky... 😞

It always pays to have a fallback plan for unexpected delays though, especially for less-used canals like the Rochdale and HNC where they're more likely to happen.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Wow, that's *really* bad. We had very little trouble, not even much round the prop, and took several hours less than you. Maybe we were just lucky and you were unlucky... 😞

It always pays to have a fallback plan for unexpected delays though, especially for less-used canals like the Rochdale and HNC where they're more likely to happen.

It was a bad one. We got to the Boat and Horses in total darkness, no chance of getting to the Rose.The previous run we had shot up with no weedhatch visits and done the Slattocks flight the same afternoon. The boat we shared with said she will never do the Rochdale again, but we are working on that 😀.

37 minutes ago, dmr said:

It was a bad one. We got to the Boat and Horses in total darkness, no chance of getting to the Rose.The previous run we had shot up with no weedhatch visits and done the Slattocks flight the same afternoon. The boat we shared with said she will never do the Rochdale again, but we are working on that 😀.

Sounds like your previous run was like ours...

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Good job Gilly had a stock of beer otherwise it’d have been truly dismal.