Help needed on Calder and Hebble

Chribley

Featured Posts

I'm not available at all for the next two weeks, and after that am likely to be busy to extremely busy. However if you are really stuck then send me a PM and I will do my best. Boating in a big boat on a new waterway will always be an attractive proposition.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

I'm not available at all for the next two weeks, and after that am likely to be busy to extremely busy. However if you are really stuck then send me a PM and I will do my best. Boating in a big boat on a new waterway will always be an attractive proposition.

Thanks, have sent PM.

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'll tag @dmr on this as his boat doesn't fit the Calder & Hebble.

No Idea if he'd be interested, but at least he'll see it.

Thanks for this.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, dmr said:

You are a very long way away, or is that the proper Portsmouth on the Burnley Road out of Tod? 😀

So my company is based in Portsmouth, but I live in London, and my other half lives in Hinckley, Leicestershire but i travel all round the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my post. Another boater who replied to my request, plus my brother, came along as crew. The trip ended prematurely at Brighouse because (1) the flood lock was closed and (2) the engine lost cooling water and got a rope wound round its propeller. We stripped the raw water inlet and found it completely blocked with leaves bound together with mud. However, even after clearing it there was still no water coming through. As to the rope, the prop still turns but presumably inefficiently. So we left the boat moored behind Sainsbury's and all went home. 

Two days later I returned and confirmed what I suspected, the raw water pump impeller was wrecked! 

I've got a new one and the pic shows the difference.

Unfortunately, with the two storms and ongoing unsettled weather it won't be possible to go on until the river drops.

And thanks to ChinnC100 for the offer of help. In fact I intend to put the boat on the market when I get to Dewsbury but will be buying another, much smaller and a proper narrowboat once it is sold. 

On 09/02/2022 at 15:16, ChinnC100 said:

Hey, 

I would certainly be interested in helping at stages throughout the year... 

I'll contact you later if I may once I have the new boat.

Cheers all.

20707633_Newandoldimpellers.jpg.7937f5c2698d837fcbebfeca5b6d856a.jpg

That boat was on sale for quite a few years, never moved far from the Thorne area. Could never really work out what it was supposed to be, they said it was a Thames Barge replica, looked a right pain to move with that long tiller. Hopefully someone will want a livaboard boat and not move anywhere.

21 hours ago, PD1964 said:

That boat was on sale for quite a few years, never moved far from the Thorne area. Could never really work out what it was supposed to be, they said it was a Thames Barge replica, looked a right pain to move with that long tiller. Hopefully someone will want a livaboard boat and not move anywhere.

Was it the one on the left as you arrived at Stanilands?

I bought this boat, Lukas, in late 2020. She was then moored at Long Sandall lock on the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation. She was very solidly built with 150% over-thickness plating by Peter Nicholls at Braunston in 1984, described as a Thames Stemhead Barge replica. Yes, I know she doesn't look like a Thames barge but apparently she originally was a sailing barge with a mast and leeboards, traces of which remain. She was on the Thames for many years until the previous owners rescued her from 'life as a party boat' and had her trucked up to Hull I think in around 2010. She was then completely refitted to a very high standard with new electrics, engine and a complete very solid new interior. Successive surveys (which I have) showed her to have no significant hull erosion despite her age. After I bought her I took her to Hull marina where I lived aboard for a year, bringing her back into good condition and updating her with replacement batteries, complete exterior repaint, installation of diesel central heating, a new cockpit canopy etc. After renewing the blacking and fitting new anodes I took her to Sowerby Bridge on a temporary winter mooring. 

She is rather heavy on the steering it's true, with an oversized rudder, presumably for her sailing days. She has hydraulic steering too, but because of its lack of feel the previous owners (and now I) prefer to use the tiller.

I am taking her to Savile Town Wharf to put her on the market as I no longer intend to live aboard (I have recently bought a house in Rastrick). Once she is sold I want to buy a narrowboat of about the same length.

4 hours ago, Chribley said:

I bought this boat, Lukas, in late 2020. She was then moored at Long Sandall lock on the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation. She was very solidly built with 150% over-thickness plating by Peter Nicholls at Braunston in 1984, described as a Thames Stemhead Barge replica. Yes, I know she doesn't look like a Thames barge but apparently she originally was a sailing barge with a mast and leeboards, traces of which remain. She was on the Thames for many years until the previous owners rescued her from 'life as a party boat' and had her trucked up to Hull I think in around 2010. She was then completely refitted to a very high standard with new electrics, engine and a complete very solid new interior. Successive surveys (which I have) showed her to have no significant hull erosion despite her age. After I bought her I took her to Hull marina where I lived aboard for a year, bringing her back into good condition and updating her with replacement batteries, complete exterior repaint, installation of diesel central heating, a new cockpit canopy etc. After renewing the blacking and fitting new anodes I took her to Sowerby Bridge on a temporary winter mooring. 

She is rather heavy on the steering it's true, with an oversized rudder, presumably for her sailing days. She has hydraulic steering too, but because of its lack of feel the previous owners (and now I) prefer to use the tiller.

I am taking her to Savile Town Wharf to put her on the market as I no longer intend to live aboard (I have recently bought a house in Rastrick). Once she is sold I want to buy a narrowboat of about the same length.

Must be a different boat, anyway good luck with your plan 

5 hours ago, Chribley said:

Went to Brighouse today to look at the river.(Quite glad I don't have a boat at the moment) The river looked rather scary!

Had a look at your boat (I am a nosey sod) and I thought it quite beautiful. You could almost host Strictly Come Dancing in her!

When you move her (which won't be soon) if you are short handed I would like to crew.

I live in Huddersfield which is quite close,so if you need an extra hand, PM me.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Went to Brighouse today to look at the river.(Quite glad I don't have a boat at the moment) The river looked rather scary!

Had a look at your boat (I am a nosey sod) and I thought it quite beautiful. You could almost host Strictly Come Dancing in her!

When you move her (which won't be soon) if you are short handed I would like to crew.

I live in Huddersfield which is quite close,so if you need an extra hand, PM me.

Thanks for your appreciation of my boat! Also for the offer to help. At the moment, oddly, the Calder & Hebble is green on the CRT warnings page; Surely that can't be right? Anyway I won't be moving the boat until the forecast is better. I'll get in touch when it seems possible to continue the trip.

1 minute ago, Chribley said:

Thanks for your appreciation of my boat! Also for the offer to help. At the moment, oddly, the Calder & Hebble is green on the CRT warnings page; Surely that can't be right? Anyway I won't be moving the boat until the forecast is better. I'll get in touch when it seems possible to continue the trip.

Perhaps CRT were looking at the wrong river!

The bit I looked at beyond the Brighouse Basin  lock was over the landing stage and was flowing rapidly,I would guess about 5kt.

19 hours ago, peterboat said:

I thought so it was there for years if I remember rightly 

She was for sale on and off the market for several years with little interest. A funny one to sell as with the raw cooling and the tiller set up not really suited to shallower canals as the owner has found out, maybe better suited on the deeper rivers, maybe a more viable proposition down the Trent at the right price???

• Greenie 1

• 6 months later...

@Chribley seen Lukas moving today, I bet it’s a bit better to handle on the deeper commercial carrying canals then those around Dewsbury, it was good to see her under power.

Any news on the sale? I wouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket with the guy from Eastwood that’s shown interest, found him to be a bit of a fruit loop in all the years I’ve known him. Now I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. But you never know, may prove to be a genuine buyer. Good luck and hope she sells soon.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

On 24/08/2022 at 13:56, PD1964 said:

@Chribley seen Lukas moving today, I bet it’s a bit better to handle on the deeper commercial carrying canals then those around Dewsbury, it was good to see her under power.

Any news on the sale? I wouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket with the guy from Eastwood that’s shown interest, found him to be a bit of a fruit loop in all the years I’ve known him. Now I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. But you never know, may prove to be a genuine buyer. Good luck and hope she sells soon.

The 'buyer' indeed proved elusive and messed me around for months, so now on recommendation from Gordon (CV Marine) have taken her to Nationwide Narrowboat Sales in Thorne,  her home waters. As you say the broader, deeper canals are very much to Lukas's taste so hope she will sell soon.

• Greenie 1