Self Defence

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

What equipment if any do people recommend for self defense on a boat?

It needs to be legal, because it needs to be usable. The main situation is when there is an issue with more than one person, e.g., two large men.

I might sound overly concerned, but I'm getting sick of hearing all these issues around where we are at the moment. Yesterday, someone posted on our FB group that three large men three a brick at a goose and fetched it with a Terrier. There have also been solar panel thefts (we have installed a security camera, will install another one). Gennie thefts (by a known criminal who has been previously done for manslaughter, but rarely gets caught despite clearly selling stolen goods), Bricks through windows. Etc.

I say all that, to explain that I don't think "call the police" is really sufficient. But at the same time, not even pepper spray is legal (and to be fair, that's probably a good thing).

Is there anything that someone would suggest, or is it pretty much a lost cause?

Just now, frangar said:

Can we ask where you are moored?......seems like a place to avoid!

Kennet-and-Avon. Gennie thief (his nickname is Thumb) is around Bradford-on-Avon, geese-killers are around Newbury, solar panel thefts are in Hungerford. Bricks through windows are Hungerford. Also, break-ins into boaters' road vehicles around Hungerford (vans so far).

So err, avoid Hungerford then. But we will need to go through.

Just now, Thomas C King said:

Kennet-and-Avon. Gennie thief (his nickname is Thumb) is around Bradford-on-Avon, geese-killers are around Newbury, solar panel thefts are in Hungerford. Bricks through windows are Hungerford. Also, break-ins into boaters' road vehicles around Hungerford (vans so far).

So err, avoid Hungerford then. But we will need to go through.

A Calder & Hebble handspike is a pretty useful thing to have onboard.....of course you travel widely.....

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Problem is that as soon as you turn the tables on the aggressor, you become the aggressor and now it is you with legal issues. It is a very fine line. Preparing a weapon ahead of time, rather than improvising on the spot isn't a good idea. Simply posting on here asking about it could become evidence against you. Many boats just happen to have a tiller extension, and perhaps a Calder & Hebble hand spike just inside the rear hatch, near the steering position. They have a legitimate reason to be there.

My understanding is that you run away. If you can't, then you fight enough to to get them to run, or to give you the chance to run. As soon as you stray in to righteous retribution territory, then you are in the wrong.

A boat can move, so get a mooring somewhere else, if where you are is so bad.

I agree with much of this. But it can be a bit nuanced, I have found this video helpful:

• Greenie 1

In my humble opinion unless you can actually use whatever it is you wish to "arm" yourself with, just don't, you could as easily be giving the perp a weapon from your own hand, considering my working life I have a fair few sharp and heavy hitting type things and they would stay firmly in there storage.

Again my opinion if you have to confront someone make sure you have an escape route first but be LOUD and confident maybe have an air horn nearby and use it and most importantly use you phone to take (or pretend) to take photos.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’d imagine any such “equipment” could be seen as premeditated and used against you.

Something grabbed spur of the moment, like a spare aluminium tiller extension, might not be?

Easier to move, unless it’s a home mooring :( 

Good ideas.

I'd also like to get an axe. Then if I have issues with youths I can ask them if they're "axing for trouble", which I understand is how youths today pronounce "asking". We'd all have a jolly good laugh and the situation would be diffused.

I'll go with the tiller idea, have one of those. Maybe that spike thing.

Hand axe kept by the door for kindling. 

If you happen to grab it in an emergency situation you can later demonstrate that it is always kept there. Make a proper holder for it and a retaining bolt so it can not be mistaken for anything other than a place where you keep the kindling axe. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

In my humble opinion unless you can actually use whatever it is you wish to "arm" yourself with, just don't, you could as easily be giving the perp a weapon from your own hand, considering my working life I have a fair few sharp and heavy hitting type things and they would stay firmly in there storage.

Again my opinion if you have to confront someone make sure you have an escape route first but be LOUD and confident maybe have an air horn nearby and use it and most importantly use you phone to take (or pretend) to take photos.

Yes, agree completely, that's why I wouldn't consider threatening someone with a knife (also because, the law).

Horns are also a good idea.

Just now, Thomas C King said:

Yes, agree completely, that's why I wouldn't consider threatening someone with a knife (also because, the law).

Horns are also a good idea.

In the very few occasions I have been in vaguely similar situations it was just bluster and noise that got me out, often most thieves or scrouts are ready to run tbh you just need to encourage 

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Kennet-and-Avon

There you go - with the 'sort of people' you get there what would you expect.

It's like a Ghetto for ner-do-wells and drop-outs from society, move to the Midlands upwards, much nicer class of people (always the odd bad apple, but a far lower percentage than on the K&A)

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There you go - with the 'sort of people' you get there what would you expect.

It's like a Ghetto for ner-do-wells and drop-outs from society, move to the Midlands upwards, much nicer class of people (always the odd bad apple, but a far lower percentage than on the K&A)

See, I didn't know this.

Unfortunately, we're heading to Slough next (briefly, to get the boat epoxied).

There is always a bad apple somewhere, i dont get that if people know who is being a thief why he is not sorted out by some locals. I used to live in a small village and a family of undesirables moved in, within weeks crime soared and everyone knew who it was but without proof cops done nothing. One Sunday afternoon big commotion with Police and Ambulance down one of the quiet lanes and the eldest son of family was found beaten to a pulp, they moved away soon after.

A large Maglite torch is a handy tool, fits up your sleeve for concealment for night time walks, heavy and legal to carry. The best self defence tool i ever had was a 65kg Doberman with an uncanny ability to spot trouble makers.

Edited by Mike Hurley
  • Greenie 1

Unless you know what you are doing, any weapon can be taken from you and used against you, be careful. By far and away the best " Weapon " is a large dog, of the kind that bark, not squeek. Scum bags are always wary of big dogs with big teeth. Two dogs, even better. Suggest minimum 30kg upwards.

• Greenie 4