Isolation Switch and BSS

Featured Posts

Hi All

Now planning (again!) for my electrics tidy/upgrade. Presently the two isolation switches are in the cabin but look quite old and i keep catching myself on them whilst walking past. I'd like to fit new switches in the engine bay above the batteries to reduce the amount of wiring needed. I've marked below where would be ideal - I have buffalo board on the wall now in preparation but just keen to double check the BSS 'interpretation' of accessible! Would these be too inaccessible in engine bay on hull wall?  I know I'll need to put a 'Isolation Switch' sign above the engine bay to say where they are.

20190908_173757.jpg

Obviously this comes under “interpretation” by a specific BSS examiner - always a difficult area! But I would say that if lifting one set of boards that is fairly easily lifted, gives access to the isolator switches, that is acceptable and is fairly common practice. I would think about improving the protection for the battery terminals though!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Obviously this comes under “interpretation” by a specific BSS examiner - always a difficult area! But I would say that if lifting one set of boards that is fairly easily lifted, gives access to the isolator switches, that is acceptable and is fairly common practice. I would think about improving the protection for the battery terminals though!

thanks, yes its all going to have an overhaul!!  :)

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Battery isolators are supposed to be as close as practicable to the batteries, although accessibility takes precedence over proximity. So it's a bit of a hard call. Though as Nick says, your proposed location is commonly seen.

Great thanks. At present the battery cables go through to the cabin, along a bit then to the switches and then all the way back so not ideal.....  this would reduce the mess of cabling and make things much easier to understand...

Edited by robtheplod

Mine are done like that and were installed by the boat builder. You just need to have a sign above them and the deck boards showing where they are to keep the BSS person happy. I have a cast brass sign screwed to the deck board, along with the one about fuel isolation valves.

• Greenie 3

The requirement is “readily accessible”, defined as “Capable of being reached for operation, inspection or maintenance without removal of any craft structure or use of any tools or removal of any item of portable equipment stowed in places intended for storage of portable equipment such as lockers, drawers or shelves.”  Mine are under the deck boards as well, appropriately signed, never been any issue with accessibility - it’s a very common arrangement. There might be an issue if the boards were lockable?

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

The requirement is “readily accessible”, defined as “Capable of being reached for operation, inspection or maintenance without removal of any craft structure or use of any tools or removal of any item of portable equipment stowed in places intended for storage of portable equipment such as lockers, drawers or shelves.”  Mine are under the deck boards as well, appropriately signed, never been any issue with accessibility - it’s a very common arrangement. There might be an issue if the boards were lockable?

thanks... where is your sign - is it on the deck board itself or just under the seat etc?

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks... where is your sign - is it on the deck board itself or just under the seat etc?

Signs adjacent to the switches, sign on the board itself, partly so it’s obvious that you have to lift the board, and partly because there isn’t really anywhere else convenient!

• Greenie 1