Trouble Starting After Running Out Of Fuel

Featured Posts

Yes stupid mistake i know, I knew I was cutting it fine with the amount of fuel in the tank but what I didn't account for was the fuel pickups in the tank being on the opposite side to that which we were listing due to a full pump out tank. Anyway engine begin to struggle, pulled in and fetched fuel on foot to top up, bled the fuel filter, and she started for about 20 seconds before begin to struggle and cut out. Bled the fuel filter again struggled and started briefly again before cutting out. Tried once more won't start and have stopped before I drain the starter battery. 

Will go get more fuel in a minute just to be sure it's definitely high enough, but what else should I be checking? Beta 50.

Thanks in advance

No I totally forgot about the other filter, doh! Think the issue was that needed bleeding too, but before I did that I took it off to check if it was blocked and the gasket is worse for wear, I should have just bled it first and left it alone 😑

It's not got any markings on it so at a loss as to how to find a replacement? Thinking of using instant gasket, or is that a bad idea? Thanks

Forgot the photo :)

IMG_20220124_095955.jpg

The filter is filthy, needs a new one. The rubber seal comes with it.

For now wash the filter in clean fuel and fit the rubber seal the other way up in the groove properly, it has previously been badly fitted in the groove. It will get you going.

In no event use plastic gasket, if it gets into the fuel system you will have a massive repair bill.

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The filter is filthy, needs a new one. The rubber seal comes with it.

For now wash the filter in clean fuel and fit the rubber seal the other way up in the groove properly, it has previously been badly fitted in the groove. It will get you going.

In no event use plastic gasket, if it gets into the fuel system you will have a massive repair bill.

Thanks, something in the back of my head was telling me instant gasket was a bad idea. Are these filters a common item I could pick up from a chandlers same day maybe? There's no markings apart from 'Made In Italy' on the filter lid.

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You could try a site like https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/FilterBySize.aspx to find a matching size filter element, then Google that filter to find equivalents available here.

Thanks, hopefully I don't have to wait for it to come from online, but if so I'll check them out 

26 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

yes attack it with fresh diesel and an old toothbrush, comes up a treat!

That type of filter always bothered mi in case you get any crap left on the wrong side of it and flush it into the injectors. say a bristle off the toothbrush. 

On 24/01/2022 at 23:59, ditchcrawler said:

That type of filter always bothered mi in case you get any crap left on the wrong side of it and flush it into the injectors. say a bristle off the toothbrush. 

Shouldn't cause any problems as these are normally used as a primary filter. So there should be another filter on the engine that would trap any odd bits.