"View New Content" button

MtB

Featured Posts

I have one but I've no idea how I got it. 

Frahkn wants a VNC button with the Politics board excluded but no-one seems able to tell him how. Can anyone help please?

How difficult can it be? "Very" seems to be the correct answer.

He's asking in this thread, here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/95849-second-opinion/page/3/#comment-2743991

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I couldn't get one for luv nor money when we had the upgrade.

In the end Dr Bob wrote out an "idiots guide to getting a button", once it was explained it was easy to follow each step.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do it now, there were about 5 million steps - took hours.

I think you're right, but wasn't it His Normanship rather than Dr Bob?

ISTR then spending a tonne more time getting rid of the Politics section from it! 

We need a pinned post explaining how these feeds, buttons, etc work as there seems to be no documentation.

Dunno if this’ll help;

On my mobile phone content types can be found by clicking filters. 

so, click filters then content type and then the box for ‘topics’ and save. 

My iPad shows stuff slightly different. 
but again it’s content types that give the option 

What it looks like on a computer I have no idea having not used one since 2016. 

Edited by Goliath

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I couldn't get one for luv nor money when we had the upgrade.

In the end Dr Bob wrote out an "idiots guide to getting a button", once it was explained it was easy to follow each step.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do it now, there were about 5 million steps - took hours.

This is strange.

I can't recall changing anything or setting up a new button, but I don't get The politics section when I click on VNC.

I have to click on VNC and then 'Activity'.

This was set up like that by Forum admin. AFAIK. No user involvement was needed.

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think you're right, but wasn't it His Normanship rather than Dr Bob?

ISTR then spending a tonne more time getting rid of the Politics section from it! 

We need a pinned post explaining how these feeds, buttons, etc work as there seems to be no documentation.

Maybe Nick did one as well, but it was Defo Dr Bob's instructions I followed. It was one of those things "I remember it well" moments when it all worked. Why on earth we had to have the improvement in the 1st place is another question.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This is strange.

I can't recall changing anything or setting up a new button, but I don't get The politics section when I click on VNC.

I have to click on VNC and then 'Activity'.

This was set up like that by Forum admin. AFAIK. No user involvement was needed.

I'm talking about setting up your own 'stream' where you can select which topics you want to list in your 'new posts', when setting up it comes up with every heading in the menu and you click which ones you want including in your own 'new posts'

If you don't want 'stoppage information'. or 'vintage engines', or 'politics'  etc etc you dont click them. Once it is set up you get :

Screenshot (905).png

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm talking about setting up your own 'stream' where you can select which topics you want to list in your 'new posts', when setting up it comes up with every heading in the menu and you click which ones you want including in your own 'new posts'

If you don't want 'stoppage information'. or 'vintage engines', or 'politics'  etc etc you dont click them. Once it is set up you get :

Screenshot (905).png

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The OP was about setting such a button up to avoid seeing Politics in VNC.

I was just saying I don't believe there is the need to do that. Setting up a button to do it is unnecessary (or rather it should be)

Clicking on View new content should automatically exclude it. Setting up a button by the user was the 'old' way to do it prior to Forum admin removing it from VNC.

If I click on View new content (top right) I get this. Nothing from the politics section shown.

VNC.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I simply go to my computer's front page, where it says "Google", and fill in the box underneath the Google name with "Canal World View". A list of options appears, the topmost of which says "Canal World View New Content". I click on that and it takes me straight to our View New Content page, which is politics-free.

On one occasion, a few days ago, I got an aberration: at the top of the VNC page it said "Howardang set up this stream", and political topics DID appear. I have (of course) no idea how this happened. So I left the page, came back to it and it had returned to normal.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I have one but I've no idea how I got it. 

Frahkn wants a VNC button with the Politics board excluded but no-one seems able to tell him how. Can anyone help please?

I answered this point on Frahkn's thread at the post below. You do need to be using the Default theme for it to work. Although once you have created your bookmark you can change back to the Legacy theme if you wish.

On 23/01/2022 at 15:58, AndrewIC said:

Do the links on the All Activity menu do what is required?

7138F777-AE5C-478F-A5D8-8AE9BF17C887.jpeg

The default is already to remove the political sub-forum. Unless a user has previously set an alternative default.

Once you have navigated to (or created) the 'actively stream' of your preference, you can then use the "Steam Options" button to set that one as you defualt.

Daniel