Sales advice

sue.stew

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

In a couple of months time we are putting our boat up for sale. Even though it will be hard for us to part with our her we need more space aboard as we have an engine room with a boatmans cabin.

We prefer to use a brokerage for our sale but because we have a Gardner (1932) engine would a brokerage be the best place to advertise?

We would really like it if her next owner was a Gardner enthusiast.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

7 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Sarah at Norton Canes Boatbuilders, based at Glascote, has considerable experience of brokering historic boats and boats with traditional engines

https://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/home/index.php

She also got a lot of brownie points for her honesty during a recent transaction reported on this very forum... 🙂

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

With a 1932 Gardner, you may find it difficult to sell to anyone but a Gardner enthusiast.

I didn't know that I liked traditional engines until I bought our first boat in 1997 and found that it had one!

I looked on the internet and thought that Sue had already put her boat on sale at Aqueduct, until noticed that the clip was dated 2018, which was presumably where she bought it.

Sue, 55 feet is a popular length, and with the added attraction of a 2L2 he boat should sell quickly. Your problem is setting the right price, and that's where a broker can help. In my experience, ABNB (Andy Burnett Narrow Boats) are efficient and achieve good results - they sold our last boat (with a trad engine) to its first viewer, and at almost the asking price. It depends on whether you are near them, though they will sell boats off their home mooring, you don't need to take the boat to their yard.

I have a good idea....

Remove the 2L2(I will do it and recycle it FOC for you😎.), stick a Beta or isuzu in it, and it will sell no problem.

😜

Seriously, any broker worth their salt will sell a boat like this if well maintained and clean, boats are in short supply.

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I have a good idea....

Remove the 2L2(I will do it and recycle it FOC for you😎.), stick a Beta or isuzu in it, and it will sell no problem.

😜

Sacrilege!!!

For your penance,jump in the canal three times,and climb out twice  😃

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

I have a good idea....

😜

Ignore matty's self-serving and parsimonious offer. Take it out and I'll give you fifty quid for it....

:giggles:

• Greenie 1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. She's moored @ Overwater . When we bought her we liked her look and 55ft was just right. The engine was a bonus! 

The engine was rebuilt in the 80's I think . It was found derelict on a fairground in Gloucester. We have photos of her rebuild but not alot of information.  That's why we would love to see her go to a real enthusiast.

19 minutes ago, sue.stew said:

We have photos of her rebuild but not a lot of information.  

When we bought our Gardner (a slightly ore modern 2LW model) when we were having 'Trojan' built in 2006, I got in touch with an enthusiast organisation who, after I'd quoted the serial number, were able to provide a lot of detail about it: date of manufacture, installation in a narrow-gauge railway locomotive, even the nae of the (unpronouncable) South African mine where the loco had worked. Something like the Industrial Railway Society; whether they have records only of Gardners which had railway use, or whether their archives have a broader scope I don't know, but they're worth a try. How did you discover that the engine dated from 1932?

1 hour ago, sue.stew said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. She's moored @ Overwater . When we bought her we liked her look and 55ft was just right. The engine was a bonus! 

The engine was rebuilt in the 80's I think . It was found derelict on a fairground in Gloucester. We have photos of her rebuild but not alot of information.  That's why we would love to see her go to a real enthusiast.

I knew a Danial Oakley that moored in Banbury.

The information about the age of the engine came with the sale documents and it's painted on the inside of the side doors so anyone looking in can see it. 

I think in a past life she was based around Banbury too.