Straddle Warehouse

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

I know there are some here with plenty of local knowledge of Sheffield so perhaps you might answer this rather detailed question:

I know that at one time the end of the navigation at Victoria Quays was after the Straddle Warehouse and some current maps (in CaRT's) still show this. However, my recollection was that it was no longer possible to take a boat into the very end basin after going under the warehouse.

What is the actual situation, please?

13 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I know there are some here with plenty of local knowledge of Sheffield so perhaps you might answer this rather detailed question:

I know that at one time the end of the navigation at Victoria Quays was after the Straddle Warehouse and some current maps (in CaRT's) still show this. However, my recollection was that it was no longer possible to take a boat into the very end basin after going under the warehouse.

What is the actual situation, please?

The Straddle Warehouse straddles the basin, you can still go under to the end which is still the end turning basin as you say. The Terminal/Grain warehouse is at the end on three sides, there is a unloading dock which goes into the Terminal/Grain Warehouse only. The unloading dock under/into the Terminal/Grain Warehouse is private and is part of the building lease, at the minute there is a 60’x12’ widebeam moored in it.

I will try to find a photo from “on this day” to show. Found.

AAF8CA1A-3865-4B8D-9DD8-D19C655ACEF8.jpeg.f70d9051b9aed6ecbc77605d22c7475d.jpeg
Above the end of the Sheffield & Tinsley Canal and the end turning basin, the Straddle Warehouse to the left which you have to go under and the Terminal/Grain Warehouse to the right, the next photo is roughly taken opposite

8B4C63FE-8847-411D-857C-FA4ECD4B0B86.jpeg.cfb6cd7c4fdd20c4848748de4fea3f09.jpeg

The Grain/Terminal Warehouse, now offices to ground floor and flats above. You used to be able to cross on the walkway on left but now you can’t, the arch on the left is the entrance to the unloading dock which has the 60’x12 widebeam in, if you look carefully you will see a boom across to stop rubbish from entering. 
 A few visiting boats touch their bows on the walkway to say they have been to the very end before turning, as it is part of the IWA Silver Propeller Challenge. 
  Hope that makes sense and will find a better angled photo to show all better tomorrow 

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Got no balls have we Alan??

I think you will find Alan posted his spam comment following a post after yours which was spam but now the mods have removed it you can no longer see the offending post. Perhaps it would have made sense for the mods to remove Alan's post as well so as not to confuse.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

What more can he say?

The post he reported as spam isn't your post.  Because it's been hidden by the mods after he reported it we can't see it now.

Try and keep up.

Yes I missed it, maybe I’ve got thing to do, then cutting and pasting cartoons.

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes I missed it, maybe I’ve got thing to do, then cutting and pasting cartoons.

Why the snotty remarks? Alan simply reported a spam post

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

13 hours ago, PD1964 said:

The Straddle Warehouse straddles the basin, you can still go under to the end which is still the end turning basin as you say. The Terminal/Grain warehouse is at the end on three sides, there is a unloading dock which goes into the Terminal/Grain Warehouse only. The unloading dock under/into the Terminal/Grain Warehouse is private and is part of the building lease, at the minute there is a 60’x12’ widebeam moored in it.

I will try to find a photo from “on this day” to show. Found.

AAF8CA1A-3865-4B8D-9DD8-D19C655ACEF8.jpeg.f70d9051b9aed6ecbc77605d22c7475d.jpeg
Above the end of the Sheffield & Tinsley Canal and the end turning basin, the Straddle Warehouse to the left which you have to go under and the Terminal/Grain Warehouse to the right, the next photo is roughly taken opposite

8B4C63FE-8847-411D-857C-FA4ECD4B0B86.jpeg.cfb6cd7c4fdd20c4848748de4fea3f09.jpeg

The Grain/Terminal Warehouse, now offices to ground floor and flats above. You used to be able to cross on the walkway on left but now you can’t, the arch on the left is the entrance to the unloading dock which has the 60’x12 widebeam in, if you look carefully you will see a boom across to stop rubbish from entering. 
 A few visiting boats touch their bows on the walkway to say they have been to the very end before turning, as it is part of the IWA Silver Propeller Challenge. 
  Hope that makes sense and will find a better angled photo to show all better tomorrow 

Thank you very much for the detailed reply (not sure about the intervening Spam rant!)

It does seem from what you say that officially the end is beyond the Straddle warehouse (which you would need to go under in order to say that you had done the whole length) but that in practical terms the moored boat and the boom make that impracticable. The boom may have been created to deter rubbish but I cannot see a boater getting brownie points for untying it. Is that actually feasible or is it locked in place?

Sorry for raising a somewhat arcane point.

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think you will find Alan posted his spam comment following a post after yours which was spam but now the mods have removed it you can no longer see the offending post. Perhaps it would have made sense for the mods to remove Alan's post as well so as not to confuse.

In my world Spam refers to crap, a term referred to American’s as they talk a good story but don’t produce the goods, a prime example the Military exercise a few weeks ago where UK forces out scored their US counterparts in a matter of days, with the US calling for a break as it was too much for them.

With not seeing the deleted post, I thought this is what he is referring to with my reply to the OP and I apologise to Alan for my misunderstanding with not seeing the deleted post.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

In my world Spam refers to crap, a term referred to American’s as they talk a good story but don’t produce the goods, a prime example the Military exercise a few weeks ago where UK forces out scored their US counterparts in a matter of days, with the US calling for a break as it was too much for them.

With not seeing the deleted post, I thought this is what he is referring to with my reply to the OP and I apologise to Alan for my misunderstanding with not seeing the deleted post.

image.png.8e4ebc8fc68fc3dca29d53b4b0e8a4b9.png

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

It does seem from what you say that officially the end is beyond the Straddle warehouse (which you would need to go under in order to say that you had done the whole length) but that in practical terms the moored boat and the boom make that impracticable. The boom may have been created to deter rubbish but I cannot see a boater getting brownie points for untying it. Is that actually feasible or is it locked in place?

Sorry for raising a somewhat arcane point.

A few more photos of the Straddle and Grain Warehouse. The dock under the Warehouse is private and is part of the office complex. It is not part of the water lease of the Marina and is part of the lease of the building so private water space.

The Straddle Warehouse with access though any arch apart from No1.

5548470A-1E51-49EF-B0C3-FC2F780CCFF6.jpeg.6f86654ad5386819d20af93928f4b982.jpeg

Below: The end turning Basin looking at the Grain Warehouse, OVO offices and private loading dock with 60ft x 12ft widebeam with electric propulsion. 

4B098EF5-BB5E-4975-A838-305EE490B126.jpeg.169398e6cc35b6b5336b516dc526e4ca.jpeg
Below: picture of the loading dock and boat through office window from street side.

4C8D69FE-BEDE-43C8-932B-1575C276E81B.jpeg.c37c662fd1d8b6d9f6dd89450a0fdbc4.jpeg

Final pic looking from under Straddle Warehouse to Grain Warehouse.

6120454D-514C-4CCF-A86E-6502AEFF77A2.jpeg.a6c3e7ea1403bc7ab50c276d2138ca69.jpeg

Hope it makes sense, so you can go under the Staddle warehouse to the Canal end, just not the very, very end.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

A few more photos of the Straddle and Grain Warehouse. The dock under the Warehouse is private and is part of the office complex. It is not part of the water lease of the Marina and is part of the lease of the building so private water space.

The Straddle Warehouse with access though any arch apart from No1.

5548470A-1E51-49EF-B0C3-FC2F780CCFF6.jpeg.6f86654ad5386819d20af93928f4b982.jpeg

Below: The end turning Basin looking at the Grain Warehouse, OVO offices and private loading dock with 60ft x 12ft widebeam with electric propulsion. 

4B098EF5-BB5E-4975-A838-305EE490B126.jpeg.169398e6cc35b6b5336b516dc526e4ca.jpeg
Below: picture of the loading dock and boat through office window from street side.

4C8D69FE-BEDE-43C8-932B-1575C276E81B.jpeg.c37c662fd1d8b6d9f6dd89450a0fdbc4.jpeg

Final pic looking from under Straddle Warehouse to Grain Warehouse.

6120454D-514C-4CCF-A86E-6502AEFF77A2.jpeg.a6c3e7ea1403bc7ab50c276d2138ca69.jpeg

Hope it makes sense, so you can go under the Staddle warehouse to the Canal end, just not the very, very end.

Lovely shots , thanks. I don't expect I will ever get to see it in the flesh

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Perhaps it would have made sense for the mods to remove Alan's post as well so as not to confuse.

Perhaps. But then members such as Alan (who very helpfully reported such  !spam" posts in three different threads first thing this morning) might have wondered why their perfectly innocuous posts had been removed.

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps. But then members such as Alan (who very helpfully reported such  !spam" posts in three different threads first thing this morning) might have wondered why their perfectly innocuous posts had been removed.

Maybe add a comment to the post, I see in at least one of the other posts Alan added a reported comment as well which made it look like he had reported a perfectly fine post.  The situation is not helped because we don't see post numbers anymore so it isn't obvious a post has been deleted.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Maybe add a comment to the post, I see in at least one of the other posts Alan added a reported comment as well which made it look like he had reported a perfectly fine post.  The situation is not helped because we don't see post numbers anymore so it isn't obvious a post has been deleted.

I agree that post numbers would be a boon, but apparently they can no longer be displayed since we has some sort of overhaul of the forum's working parts a year or two ago....although even before that, I remember occasional confusion when a post would display a different number when viewed by different people!

12 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Maybe add a comment to the post, I see in at least one of the other posts Alan added a reported comment as well which made it look like he had reported a perfectly fine post. 

I do prefer Alan's cartoon to him quoting the spam, because otherwise the spam link remains visible in the quote.

I have to admit this is why I stopped making posts saying I'd reported spam, it causes this confusion once the mods hide the offending post.

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I do prefer Alan's cartoon to him quoting the spam, because otherwise the spam link remains visible in the quote.

I have to admit this is why I stopped making posts saying I'd reported spam, it causes this confusion once the mods hide the offending post.

Its a no-win.

If you quote the post, then even when the mods remove the offending post, the original post - with links - is still live within 'my' post.

The reason I quote 'reported' is so that everyone can see it has been reported and the modes don't get 300 (?) messages reporting the spam post.

• Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its a no-win.

If you quote the post, then even when the mods remove the offending post, the original post - with links - is still live within 'my' post.

The reason I quote 'reported' is so that everyone can see it has been reported and the modes don't get 300 (?) messages reporting the spam post.

That's why I think the simplest solution is the mods remove the post saying reported or spam as well as I am sure you would have understood what happened to your post.