Me my boat and water pump

MV Happy Day

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, I live in a 15 metre inland and coastal cruiser on the canal du midi France. I'm relatively new to all this canal and river stuff with much to learn. One question! My fresh water system is pressurised and use a Jabsco 24V 11 litres/mind. The pump has started activating every time I use the tap, before the accumulation tank would store an amount of pressure but I wonder if it has split the rubber balloon inside or some other fault. Any idea?

Edited by MV Happy Day

23 minutes ago, MV Happy Day said:

Hello everyone, I live in a 15 metre inland and coastal cruiser on the canal du midi France. I'm relatively new to all this canal and river stuff with much to learn. One question! My fresh water system is pressurised and use a Jabsco 24V 11 litres/mind. The pump has started activating every time I use the tap, before the accumulation tank would store an amount of pressure but I wonder if it has split the rubber balloon inside or some other fault. Any idea?

Either that or its has depressurised. Check the accumulator air pressure with the taps open and pump off. It should be pressurised to the pump cut in pressure or roughly half the cut out pressure.

At the end that is out of sight in the picture will be a Schrader valve, like a car tyre, possibly under a round screw-on cover.  Remove the cover and check the pressure with the pump off. Inflate to the pump cut in pressure.  A 12 V car tyre compressor is easiest, a foot pump is OK or a suitable bike pump will do the job but is hard work.

N

11 hours ago, BEngo said:

At the end that is out of sight in the picture will be a Schrader valve, like a car tyre, possibly under a round screw-on cover.  Remove the cover and check the pressure with the pump off. Inflate to the pump cut in pressure.  A 12 V car tyre compressor is easiest, a foot pump is OK or a suitable bike pump will do the job but is hard work.

N

To add to this. When reinflating the bladder inside, do it with the pump switched off and a tap open to get the correct pressure reading. The rubber bladders inside accumulators and expansion vessels do lose air pressure slowly over time and for the same reasons as bicycle inner tubes do and need occasional checking and pumping up again. Probably every year or so, though I've not kept notes of when I've done mine.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Not related to your original question however as you are based in France you may find this site useful https://barges.org 

Canalworld is UK based and does not have much if any European information, barges.org covers both Europe and the UK and despite the name many of the members have boats similar to yours.

Edited by KenK

This morning I have managed to remove the accumulation tank from it's mounting. I discovered that the seal between the rubber bag and the metal of the tank and the end plate had rust particularly the round end plate. I have removed the rust and painted the round plate with an anti rust treatment. I have cleaned the inside of the tank and and both sides of the bag very carefully. I rubbed Talcum around inside of the tank to help the rubber bag slide more easily. Tomorrow I will seal each side of the joint faces with engine silicon and re assemble it again. I think I pump it up to 3 psi less than the cut in pressure.

47 minutes ago, MV Happy Day said:

This morning I have managed to remove the accumulation tank from it's mounting. I discovered that the seal between the rubber bag and the metal of the tank and the end plate had rust particularly the round end plate. I have removed the rust and painted the round plate with an anti rust treatment. I have cleaned the inside of the tank and and both sides of the bag very carefully. I rubbed Talcum around inside of the tank to help the rubber bag slide more easily. Tomorrow I will seal each side of the joint faces with engine silicon and re assemble it again. I think I pump it up to 3 psi less than the cut in pressure.

Do you know if your accumulator was for potable water, or for a heating system? Ones for potable water are coated inside, so they don't rust. Heating ones rely on anti corrosion inhibitors in the fluid to prevent them rusting. Potable water tanks are significantly more expensive, so people try and get away with heating system ones, but they rust through. If the corrosion on yours was just localised, then you may be OK.

I have assembled everything back together again and tightened down the 6 small retaining  bolts. I used two part epoxy resin to seal each side of the round plate and the diaphragm.

As you may see there was rust and some clogged holes that have now been restored to its original condition although I have not photographed that one. I used my car mini compressor and pumped it with air to 14 psi. It was replaced back into the engine room

It now works perfectly good and the pump activates every now and again.

I tried to upload a photo but failed or maybe not.

IMG_2022-01-21-12-46-06-911~3.jpg

Edited by MV Happy Day
Could not upload photo from my boat deep on the canal here
  • Greenie 2

15 hours ago, MV Happy Day said:

I have assembled everything back together again and tightened down the 6 small retaining  bolts. I used two part epoxy resin to seal each side of the round plate and the diaphragm.

As you may see there was rust and some clogged holes that have now been restored to its original condition although I have not photographed that one. I used my car mini compressor and pumped it with air to 14 psi. It was replaced back into the engine room

It now works perfectly good and the pump activates every now and again.

I tried to upload a photo but failed or maybe not.

Mine corroded there and actually leaked. I had a friend make a stainless Steel disk