Dredging finds at Cannock

noddyboater

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Ive stayed in a cottage above Aberdovey and in a caravan with gas lamps in the 1980s, they are lovely, the light is good and the noise is rather soothing. 

I can vouch for that. We had two in YARMOUTH before she got rebuilt. Lovely light and a gentle hiss when lit. The battery strip lights by comparison were awful.

The other light of my life is beyond the curtain . . .

792126885_1007bYarmouth0005gaslights.jpg.c10ee885a04308a29478bb6819a6ee89.jpg

• Greenie 1

We had two narrowboats that I fitted with gas lighting, got the old gas lamps from a caravan breakers, nice light, cheap, non electric, adds a bit of warmth. I thought about putting a couple in to the present boat but but decided on LED's, soulless, boring, efficient, cheapish. That's progress for you.

6 hours ago, Bee said:

We had two narrowboats that I fitted with gas lighting, got the old gas lamps from a caravan breakers, nice light, cheap, non electric, adds a bit of warmth. I thought about putting a couple in to the present boat but but decided on LED's, soulless, boring, efficient, cheapish. That's progress for you.

It's a while ago, but Mum bought a house in Ramsgate with no electricity. Gas mantle lights are fine, except for needing to be lit  Very effective. Batwing burners aren't - smelly, dirty, dim, inefficient. My bedroom was intended to be for the servant girl, so the lighting was a candle in a saucepan of water.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, GilesMorris said:

It's a while ago, but Mum bought a house in Ramsgate with no electricity. Gas mantle lights are fine, except for needing to be lit  Very effective. Batwing burners aren't - smelly, dirty, dim, inefficient. My bedroom was intended to be for the servant girl, so the lighting was a candle in a saucepan of water.

Back in the early 80s I looked at a house for sale in West Norwood, South London that had electric lighting, but no power sockets. Gas lit until a few years earlier, the gas board had had to install an electricity supply and electric lighting when the area was converted to natural gas. So it was a minimal system - one bare bulb in the middle of the ceiling in each room, wiring run on the surface everywhere, and no sockets. And the old gas light fittings were still in place, but disconnected. In some ways I regret not buying that house!

7 hours ago, Bee said:

What would the average BSS inspector make of gas lighting? Nothing in the rules that prohibit it as far as I can see, but I imagine you might get at least some raised eyebrows!

34 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Back in the early 80s I looked at a house for sale in West Norwood, South London that had electric lighting, but no power sockets. Gas lit until a few years earlier, the gas board had had to install an electricity supply and electric lighting when the area was converted to natural gas. So it was a minimal system - one bare bulb in the middle of the ceiling in each room, wiring run on the surface everywhere, and no sockets. And the old gas light fittings were still in place, but disconnected. In some ways I regret not buying that house!

What would the average BSS inspector make of gas lighting? Nothing in the rules that prohibit it as far as I can see, but I imagine you might get at least some raised eyebrows!

I think @MtB has gas lamps on one of his boats

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I think @MtB has gas lamps on one of his boats

Hang on, I'll go and check....

Ok nope, no gas lamps, oh no. Definitely not. Nah, Nada.

They are lovely things to live with though, just as Derek R says. If I had any, that is.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The houses just down from us have no mains gas either - its more common than people realise in villages. the village I used to live in had no gas at all.

Many of the Strett lights on the roads round Malvern are gas lamps. The numbers working seem to vary in quotes from 80-100 though there were upwards of 1000 originally. 

https://www.visitthemalverns.org/attraction/gas-lamps-in-malvern/

The Middle Temple has gas street lights too.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Hang on, I'll go and check....

Ok nope, no gas lamps, oh no. Definitely not. Nah, Nada.

They are lovely things to live with though, just as Derek R says. If I had any, that is.

I could have sworn you had them, oh well I wus wrong  ;)

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Eco friendly my a***. All for Global Wokeness.

Jim McD. commended my fittings at the time (C.1983), though later I was told such would need to be fitted by a CORGI qualified fitter. Nuff said of them the better. I fitted an extra shut off tap to each fitting, so that they could be isolated and removed for any maintenance. All piping surface for inspection (and polishing!).

Edited by Derek R.