Pump out tank removal or capped off and compost toilet installed

Monnie

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. I am a CCer on the Grand Union in Warwick at the moment but planning on turning around and heading back towards Napton. I have a pump tank that needs removing or capped off and a toilet that needs to be replaced with a compost loo. Anyone on here that could possibly give me some recommendation of who may be able to assist. Thanks in advance.

• Greenie 1

Welcome back, 

Others will comment, another toilet thread.

What more can there be to say........? 🍿

The search function is on top right. 

Best enter composting toilet to limit it down to only a few hundred comments :)

Edited by LadyG

I think what Alan is getting at is "composting toilet" is a misnomer. They don't do any composting. You have to do the composting yourself after removing the, um, waste products from the supposed composting toilet. 

So a lot of us are probably wondering just how much you know about them. Are you fully up to speed on what it takes to own one? Or have you just been told they are a Good Idea so you decided to get one? Or something in between? 

I am definately up to speed with how the composting works. I have met several CCers who are doing it properly. They have sealed poo boxes composting on their roofs and are then using it to grow tomatoes! I have a makeshift system at the moment using a large bucket with a proper loo sit on it and sawdust as well as a plastic jug and funnel to keep things separate!  Any recommendation on who may assist on pump out tank removal/capping off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know one who has 3 buckets on the go. and another with this https://www.hotbincomposting.com/

Looks good and nice to hear it's doable.

We had a compost bin full of "special" worms at the house that worked really well. I have to admit I didn't poop in it though. :)

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't have an opinion on this but I can see if might be a good way of avoiding the lack of London facilities if I lived there.

That leaves the liquids though. 

• Greenie 1

I

I am definately up to speed with how the composting works. I have met several CCers who are doing it properly. They have sealed poo boxes composting on their roofs and are then using it to grow tomatoes! I have a makeshift system at the moment using a large bucket with a proper loo sit on it and sawdust as well as a plastic jug and funnel to keep things separate!  Any recommendation on who may assist on pump out tank removal/capping off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

The tank I have is plastic and under the bed. 

1 hour ago, Monnie said:

Good to hear that another boater going the composting route, I have done it for years and am using the compost on my allotment. I am now using big black composting bins as I have just moved allotment they will sit in the hottest part of the allotment but not sure how well it will work. Good luck with your quest and happy composting 

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Good to hear that another boater going the composting route, I have done it for years and am using the compost on my allotment. I am now using big black composting bins as I have just moved allotment they will sit in the hottest part of the allotment but not sure how well it will work. Good luck with your quest and happy composting 

But you have land and composting heaps to 'do it properly' I wonder if the OP does ?

I'd suggest that very few CCers can properly work a composting system purely on their boat.

2 hours ago, Monnie said:

Omg, these guys are extreme. And have never worked in hygeine or have much idea about biology, its perfectly OK to eat hamsters, but I would draw the line, I'm on the normal curve. 

If they were gardeners they would buy compost

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

I wonder where they stored it while it was turning into compost, I read it takes quite a long time.

I had a customer, when  I was her gardener, she bought a composting bin from the council, still grass cuttings and twigs four years later. She never bought another bin, fortunately she never tried adding excrement of any description. She only bought one bin. 

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Monnie said:

I

The tank I have is plastic and under the bed. 

🤢