CRT license question

Weaversanswer

Featured Posts

Hi, I bought my boat last August & moved aboard in Sept. I'm mooring in a marina until the end of March but my license is only to the end of Feb. Will I have to get 1 month license to cover while I'm still in the marina & then a 12 month license for continuous cruising? Or can it just be changed to cc'ing when I leave the marina?

Thank you 😊

2 minutes ago, Weaversanswer said:

Hi, I bought my boat last August & moved aboard in Sept. I'm mooring in a marina until the end of March but my license is only to the end of Feb. Will I have to get 1 month license to cover while I'm still in the marina & then a 12 month license for continuous cruising? Or can it just be changed to cc'ing when I leave the marina?

Thank you 😊

Just renew your licence end of february stating no mooring. The fact you are in a marina for the next month is of zero consequence. 

• Happy 2

In practice that's correct - you won't get any hassles if you do it that way.

What CRT actually say you should do in your case is take out a 12 month licence with your home mooring declared then when you leave to go CC'ing update your mooring status to "no home mooring" either online or by phone.

It doesn't cost anything and you won't need to swap the licence for a different one.

It won't make much difference either way but this way is more accurate.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I take it you originally purchased a 6 month licence?

Yes, I wasn't sure what I would be doing as this is my first boat. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

If you stated your boat was kept in a marina when you took out your insurance and that is changing you should notify your insurers.

Thanks, I'll do that. 👍

6 hours ago, Weaversanswer said:

Hi, I bought my boat last August & moved aboard in Sept. I'm mooring in a marina until the end of March but my license is only to the end of Feb.

How did you manage that then? You should have bought a license at the time you bought the boat which would have taken you up to the end of July, by my arithmetic.

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

How did you manage that then? You should have bought a license at the time you bought the boat which would have taken you up to the end of July, by my arithmetic.

She might not of been told that CaRT licenses aren’t transferable and the seller maybe threw in 5 month free licence with the boat to feather the sale😂

Edited by PD1964

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Did you not know you can buy  a license for various periods starting from as little as a week?

14 hours ago, MtB said:

I put a deposit on the boat on Aug. Sale completed in Sept when I got 6 months crt licence. 😊

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, jamie preston said:

it used to be that if the marina was privately owned and you didn't move your boat then you didn't a licence.

prob not true now though, just renew when due and register as c/cruiser.

The determinant here is the nature of the access agreement between the marina operator and CRT (assuming it is a canal), that allows the marina to be connected to the main waterway.  

• If the agreement is an old one then a licence may not be required.
  • The more recent agreements require all boats in the marina to be licenced.  
  • Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The determinant here is the nature of the access agreement between the marina operator and CRT (assuming it is a canal), that allows the marina to be connected to the main waterway.  

• If the agreement is an old one then a licence may not be required.
  • The more recent agreements require all boats in the marina to be licenced.  

Yes that's a good explanation.

5 hours ago, jamie preston said:

it used to be that if the marina was privately owned and you didn't move your boat then you didn't a licence.

prob not true now though, just renew when due and register as c/cruiser.

I'm less kind that the above posters 

You are talking bullocks!

Yes, there are a very few marinas with grandfathered rights that mean you don't need a licence.  I know of four of them across the whole network.

If you think most of them don't you are badly mistaken.  Every marina - privately owned or not - that has a NAA deal legally requires every boat to have a valid licence at all times.

Are there any non-privately owned marinas?

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

I think that marinas linked to CRT waters where a boat can be kept without a CRT licence are places where CRT does not own the land.  For example, Shobnall on the Trent & Mersey is on the site of the Bond End Canal which was not nationalised and now belongs to the marina owners.  I agree that there are not many.

Although posters on here often talk about marinas paying an access agreement, typically 9%, no-one ever seems to mention those where the whole site is leased from CRT.  At these marinas and boat clubs, a larger percentage of mooring fees ends up in CRT coffers.  Unfortunately I suspect it is reported as property income rather than 'money from boaters' in CRT presentations.

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are there any non-privately owned marinas?

Wisbech Yacht Station is owned by Fenland District Council.

Bristol Floating Harbour (posh C19th term for a marina, I would argue!) is owned by the City Council.

Beverley Beck is owned by East Riding DC.

South Dock on the Thames is run by Southwark Council.

I should get out more.... 

• Greenie 1