London White Paint Offer

BEngo

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

emulsion paint - just what we need to spring a value enhancement - just make sure the weather is dry and the sale of the boat is completed before it rains.

You may jest but -

I'vw had no interest in my well specified boat - I thin k it's because it doesn't have a white interior.

Lovely carpets and acres of best quality machined oak panelling...

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

For anyone thinking of a spring value enhancement , Screwfix have Leyland trade white paint on offer at £28 for 2x 10 litres.

N

Have a look at some of the reviews on Screwfix's website:

"Transparent paint, took 6 coats to even get a mediocre finish and now the paint is chalking. Not sure why Leyland have put their name to this rubbish The rest is going down the tip. "

"My first gripe was that the paint wipes off the wall. Not something you notice if you have painted the ceiling, how often do you wipe a ceiling, compared to a wall.

Having sealed the tub, I went back to it a little time later and it was mouldy. I disposed of it."
"This so called paint has caused me nothing but grief! Goes off far too quick,and the finish ls embarrassing!! Scabby isn't the word!!!!Now rubbing it all off for the 3rd time,spent days perfectly preping,only for it to be ruined by this paint! Not happy.Im ditching both tubs I have,never again!!! "
"This really is the worst paint I have ever used. Trust me the bad reviews are far more accurate than the good ones. It was like spreading watered down chalk on the walls. The walls were prepped well yet this stuff would not stick. Each coat taking off a bit of the previous coat as I went. I assumed after a couple of coats it would get better, but after 4 coats I gave in. I have NEVER had to put on 4 coats of emulsion in my life. "

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If you can afford a London residential mooring, you can probably afford something a little more up market than Leyland for your boat.

https://www.farrow-ball.com/white-paint

The farrow and ball stuff I have used was all watery junk.

They are masters at colour shades and marketing, but rubbish at paint.

3 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

They are masters at colour shades and marketing, but rubbish at paint.

That is because their paint factory is very unsanitary. They can't make pure white paint, so have to think up a pretentious name for what is actually white paint with a hint of pigeon droppings.

• Haha 2

In the 1970's I used to know a chemist who worked for one of the major paint companies. He said that DIY-store own brand paints, especially white emulsion,  and the consumer range of brand-name paints, were built to a price. Thus the paint you buy this year will not necessarily have the same formulation as the stuff of the same name that you bought last year, as cheaper ingredients may have been used to maintain the selling price if raw ingredient prices have risen.  Since then I have always used the trade range of paints.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

I have found Wilko Intense White satin to be best on my white painted ply. 

And Zinsser coloured on the lower boards, good colour, proper thickish paint. 

I probably should have used a primer, some had been varnished, some had not, I well remember those dark dingy days, I can't imagine why anyone would choose rough ply to line a boat when there are laminates available which wipe clean, look smart and cost less than the four or five tins of paint needed to cover up. 

Edited by LadyG

I have found that the most consistently good paint is Dulux Trade Paint, especially their High Gloss Paint, which is spirit based, not water based, and gives a much better finish. It isn't cheap, but there must be a reason why most professional decoraters prefer it.  Also if you have a Trade Paint Centre near you, they can mix it in any colour, including long disciontinued colours.

Edited to add:- Dulux Professional Liquid High Gloss is even better, but often hard to find, even Dulux do not have any in stock at the moment!!

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1