Fire extinguishers

MtB

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

Without the test some boats  would have no fire extinguishers for example.

And how many lives have been saved by having 3 X 1Kg DP extinguishers against how many have been put at risk trying to fight fires with inadequate equipment and training.

40 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

If you are just wanting to pass the BSS I imagine you could borrow the appropriate amount of them for the duration of the inspectors visit MtB 😁 

Meanwhile look out at Lidl.  

Ok in that case I should rephrase my question, what specification and how many should I borrow to be certain of avoiding a BSS fail?!

But more seriously, I've worked out now how to interpret the requirements, so thanks everyone! 

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And how many lives have been saved by having 3 X 1Kg DP extinguishers against how many have been put at risk trying to fight fires with inadequate equipment and training.

I  doubt that data is available. But certainly some extinguishers are better than none. 

In some respects I am thinking  multiple small extinguishers could be a better option . Letting rip with a large powder extinguisher for example could be detrimental in itself to the user . I also think the spray mist type is worth considering and I may well get one of those .

Lets not forget fire blankets which could aid escape , and also having one on board is a BSS requirement.

As said it is better to get out than trying to fight a fire . 

26 minutes ago, MartynG said:

But certainly some extinguishers are better than none. 

Is it?

Surely having extinguishers to hand encourages people to stay inside the burning boat and try to put a fire out, whereas none would encourage people to just get out, in the opposite direction to where the fire is...

(Just playing Devil's Advocate really.)

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We all know they are not designed for firefighting porpoises, we will never know the answers to either Q, I would still be happier with a 2kg extinguisher than a 1 kg,, but (confession), I don't actually empty out of date extinguishers, I just buy another every two or three years. 

I ll try for another 1kg ABC, taking me up to five in-date extinguishers. 

I'm thinking about an auto engine extinguisher, but would I know why engine stopped? Any pros and cons, it seems an unlikely event, of course. 

33 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is it?

Surely having extinguishers to hand encourages people to stay inside the burning boat and try to put a fire out, whereas none would encourage people to just get out, in the opposite direction to where the fire is...

One has to keep things in perspective, the most likely fire risk on my boat which had BSC certification was a shallow grate on stove so coals fell out, then bounced across inadequate hearth to land on the wooden flooring or a fireside rug. 

I keep an extinguisher quite near the fire, I don't expect to abandon the boat if a burning log falls out, though the hearth no longer allows logs or coals to tumble on to the floor

I am an adult, and I understand the basics of firefighting, it's quite simple. 

Its no secret,

do not put water on burning chip pan etc etc, ie what is the source of fire, what resources are available. NB oven chips should be used on a boat, never conventional deep frying

Do not put anyone's life at risk. 

If you do not understand fires, and firefighting, take a course, I have done this, ask the RYA, or phone up the local fire brigade, ask for their advice. 

I suspect folks like MtB have more experience of hot potatoes than the average boater ♨️

Edited by LadyG

'We all know they are not designed for firefighting porpoises...'

I believe animal welfare rules have now restricted the hours firefighting porpoises can work. Very eco-friendly with their jets of water, however 🐬

Edited by Puffling
my own hilarious typo...
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Well here is one case Warning after man injured tackling narrowboat fire in Nottingham - BBC News

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

One has to keep things in perspective, the most likely fire risk on my boat which had BSC certification was a shallow grate on stove so coals fell out, then bounced across inadequate hearth to land on the wooden flooring or a fireside rug. 

I think a bowl of water would have been better than 1Kg of dry powder on hot cinders on a wood floor and rug

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Is it?

I think it was my BSS inspector who said that if there is a fire, just get out. He added that, if there is an extinguisher just inside the exit you have come out of, get it, ( if safe to do so), and let it off into the space. He said it would fill the boat with dry powder, expel all the air, and the fire would most likely be extinguished. "Have you ever seen a dry powder extinguisher go off?" He asked, suggesting that it was quite powerful and explosive to a degree.

I don't know if he is correct, but I would probably give it a go if safe to do so. Better a boat full of dry powder than completely burnt out, (I think?).

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

I think it was my BSS inspector who said that if there is a fire, just get out. He added that, if there is an extinguisher just inside the exit you have come out of, get it, ( if safe to do so), and let it off into the space. He said it would fill the boat with dry powder, expel all the air, and the fire would most likely be extinguished. "Have you ever seen a dry powder extinguisher go off?" He asked, suggesting that it was quite powerful and explosive to a degree.

I don't know if he is correct, but I would probably give it a go if safe to do so. Better a boat full of dry powder than completely burnt out, (I think?).

The video earlier in the thread shows a powder extinguisher being 'let-off' inside a boat galley, and the engine room.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I'd say yes, but only just!

Both options will render the boat totally and utterly un-useable.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, MtB said:

Let's stay on topic please. As requested, I'm looking for extinguishers to pass a BSS inspection, not to put out a fire.

What fire extinguishers will get my boat through the BSS please?

I'm not gonna visit hundreds of branches if Lidl hoping to find stock of the ten quid units. Ebay doesn't have any complying with my search term 21A/144B. 

Mebbe Midland Chandlers then...

Midland Chandlers do part exchange so if you have old ones take them in and get a discount, I can't remember how much it was though.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd say yes, but only just!

Both options will render the boat totally and utterly un-useable.

I subconsciously know that dry powder makes a real mess... I  did a Merchant Navy firefighting course in about 1978, where we were shown loads of stuff to fight fires mid ocean on a ship, with the gear that would be available. My favourite was the spray gun on the end of a proper firefighters hose. In a steel room, we were able to put out a huge fire in a tray of burning oil.

I wonder if a dry powdered boat can be hoovered, brushed, wiped etc.? Or whether it becomes a project that needs ripping out and refitting?

I also wonder whether its worth getting a few foam and spray extinguishers? 

On 18/01/2022 at 20:10, Ex Brummie said:

Just hope your examiner reads German. I can't see the right numbers on it. 

Ebay is a good source of these items with the right numbers on.

It can also be a bad source. I made the mistake of buying the wrong ones from eBay and the BSS examiner would not pass it. Luckily after a quick dash to the marina chandlery, I bought the right type and that was sufficient. I still have this "wrong fire extinguisher" despite not having a boat anymore. Perhaps a good thing though. :)

22 hours ago, MtB said:

Let's stay on topic please. As requested, I'm looking for extinguishers to pass a BSS inspection, not to put out a fire.

What fire extinguishers will get my boat through the BSS please?

I'm not gonna visit hundreds of branches if Lidl hoping to find stock of the ten quid units. Ebay doesn't have any complying with my search term 21A/144B. 

Mebbe Midland Chandlers then...

So why not get extinguishers that can do Both of these things?, two birds with one stone etc, so surely a good investment?.

In the summer we watched a boater put out a significant engine compartment fire with "standard" boat extinguishers, he got through a few of them, and I think another boater supplied one or two, but despite what is said in this thread, he successfully put the fire out and saved the boat.

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

So why not get extinguishers that can do Both of these things?, two birds with one stone etc, so surely a good investment?.

In actual fact I will, but I'm not going to focus as suggested on extinguishers to put out fires and leave it to blind faith that they will comply with the BSS rules.

I needed to understand the BSS rules, which now I do. So thanks to all who responded. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I wonder if a dry powdered boat can be hoovered, brushed, wiped etc.? Or whether it becomes a project that needs ripping out and refitting?

I also wonder whether its worth getting a few foam and spray extinguishers? 

Dry powder can easly be hoover up, but you will need to clear the filter a few times. It's also be brushed up which I would do first to remove the bulk of the powder and just to use the hoover on the hard to reach bits and than just wipe to remove the remaining dust. I had to do this a few years ago when I had a fire in the kitchen at home, when a fault in overhead hob extractor ignited the filter sheet.

• Greenie 1