Fire extinguishers

MtB

Featured Posts

What is the current requirement please to pass a BSS, and more specifically as fire extinguisher prices seem to vary a lot, where does the Team suggest buying some? (Assuming mine are out of date or don't comply in some way or other, having had them more than a decade now and a BSS is looming!) 

Many thanks...

Well timed question Mike!

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/household-heroes/anaf-fire-extinguisher/p49415

To specifically answer your question though

Length of vessel  Minimum number   Minimum combined fire rating 
Under 7m (23ft)   2  10A/68B
7–11m (23–36ft)  2  13A/89B
Over 11m (36ft)   3  21A/144B

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, MtB said:

What is the current requirement please to pass a BSS, and more specifically as fire extinguisher prices seem to vary a lot, where does the Team suggest buying some? (Assuming mine are out of date or don't comply in some way or other, having had them more than a decade now and a BSS is looming!) 

Many thanks...

If they don't have an expiree date then the age is unimportant, just condition and pressure.  Also not all 1Kg fire extinguishers are the same rating, so check the numbers.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well timed question Mike!

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/household-heroes/anaf-fire-extinguisher/p49415

To specifically answer your question though

Length of vessel  Minimum number   Minimum combined fire rating 
Under 7m (23ft)   2  10A/68B
7–11m (23–36ft)  2  13A/89B
Over 11m (36ft)   3  21A/144B

This comes up every year. For over 11m boat you would need 5 of the Lidl ones. Unless the picture is wrong there is no A rating on the can so would be a BSS fail.

1 minute ago, PaulD said:

This comes up every year. For over 11m boat you would need 5 of the Lidl ones. Unless the picture is wrong there is no A rating on the can so would be a BSS fail.

Read the words ...

Fire rating: 5A/34B/C

It's not shown in those photos, but it is printed on the side of the extinguisher.

Yes if you only have 1kg extinguishers you need 5 of them on most narrowboats.

Having at least one near any likely source of ignition is a good idea though, and having them distributed throughout the boat makes sense even if you have a couple of larger ones.

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Read the words ...

Fire rating: 5A/34B/C

It's not shown in those photos, but it is printed on the side of the extinguisher.

Yes if you only have 1kg extinguishers you need 5 of them on most narrowboats.

Having at least one near any likely source of ignition is a good idea though, and having them distributed throughout the boat makes sense even if you have a couple of larger ones.

It doesn't make any sense at all having 1kg fire extinguishers, they last a matter of a few seconds and effectively are useless. You need a minimum of 2kg extinguishers to give you the slightest chance.

Fire extinguishers should not be used to fight a fire unless it is EXTREMELY small, they should be used ONLY to batter down the flames and give you a chance to get to the exit - trying that with a 1kg extinguisher and you'll get maybe 3 or 4 steps.

I wonder how many people here have been trained to use fire extinguishers, and seen how ineffective they really are.

I did my Fire training with the RAF, the message was "don't stop and fight the fire, GET OUT and let the people with the proper equipment fight the fire".

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how many people here have been trained to use fire extinguishers, and seen how ineffective they really are.

I did my Fire training with the RAF, the message was "don't stop and fight the fire, GET OUT and let the people with the proper equipment fight the fire".

Exactly.

So I'm not looking for fire extinguishers that are expected to be used in anger, I'm seeking fire extinguishers that will get my boat through the BSS due in April. 

• Haha 1

Just now, MtB said:

Exactly.

So I'm not looking for fire extinguishers that are expected to be used in anger, I'm seeking fire extinguishers that will get my boat through the BSS due in April. 

It is still woorth getting the correct number of 2kg or 3kg extinguishers, then if the worse does happen you at least have a better chance of getting out.

You stand as much chance with a 1kg extinguisher as you would pi$$ing on the fire.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is still woorth getting the correct number of 2kg or 3kg extinguishers, then if the worse does happen you at least have a better chance of getting out.

You stand as much chance with a 1kg extinguisher as you would pi$$ing on the fire.

Let's stay on topic please. As requested, I'm looking for extinguishers to pass a BSS inspection, not to put out a fire.

What fire extinguishers will get my boat through the BSS please?

I'm not gonna visit hundreds of branches if Lidl hoping to find stock of the ten quid units. Ebay doesn't have any complying with my search term 21A/144B. 

Mebbe Midland Chandlers then...

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It doesn't make any sense at all having 1kg fire extinguishers, they last a matter of a few seconds and effectively are useless. You need a minimum of 2kg extinguishers to give you the slightest chance.

If  that's the case why are the 1kg extinguishers for sale at all?

6 seconds for the 1kg, 9 seconds for the 2kg, 14 seconds for the 4kg

Inside a boat enough to  snuff you out . Not really the best option but certainly the lowest cost.

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If  that's the case why are the 1kg extinguishers for sale at all?

Because the ignorant buy on price, not performance.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's the minimum total spread over at least three extinguishers on a 36ft+ boat.  Add the A's and the B's up to exceed those figures.

My extinguishers are 13A so 3 of those are 39A which meets and exceed the MINIMUM of  21A

I dont remember the B rating but again it way exceeds the requirement

(Its an old picture with the 'do not use after 2010' extingusihers that the BSS examiner passed in 2015)

Extinguisher 1.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

(Its an old picture with the 'do not use after 2010' extingusihers that the BSS examiner passed in 2015

That would be the inspector who did not inspect anything?

Looking at the video I posted could it be a big extinguisher of the powder or CO2 type could snuff out the user .

The water spray mist seems the best type? But expensive compared to dry powder. One of the advantages being the clean up could be easier

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/1-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/?q=mist

image.png.7a4c77a70600f00beaddb9a09c303915.png

Edited by MartynG

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That would be the inspector who did not inspect anything?

No, that was the 2015 examination when I was at Newark marina.

The examine that did-not inspect anything (different guy) was 2019 when I was in Kings marina.

I have never yet had an examiner that has identfied all of the failure points.

I have one examiner that failed my NB in 2013 by claiming it didn't have an RCD fitted (despite it not being a 'requirement' (only an advisory) and would only issue a certificate after I'd gone down to Toolstation, bought one and showed it to him. 

I'm afraid to say I have absolutely zero respect for the BSS system and certification. It is meaningless. Every time I have complained to the BSS and all you get is "we will interview the examiner and assess if he needs additional training"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

42 minutes ago, MtB said:

Exactly.

Exactly. That is all mine are for. I suppose you could smash a window with one but I have portholes

47 minutes ago, MtB said:

Exactly.

Limekiln Chandlers use to offer a good deal 1kg Fire extinguisher - Limekiln Chandlers do you need a fire blanket as well Fire Extinguisher set - Limekiln Chandlers

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm afraid to say I have absolutely zero respect for the BSS system and certification. It is meaningless. 

The BSS is too complex and I agree of little value. But marginally better than no test at all.

Without the test some boats  would have no fire extinguishers for example.