Rubbish disposal in Chester?

Tony1

Featured Posts

Just a quick question for anyone who has been through Chester in the last few years. 

I have a few bags of general rubbish to get rid of and I'd like to cruise north into Chester, and stay at the basin for a few days. 

I have an electronic waterways map, and it indicates there is a rubbish disposal point on the offside, next to the bridge and just before the three staircase locks. 

I looked on Google street view and there does seem to be a bin there, but no CRT signs anywhere. 

Has anyone used this bin recently? Is it a CRT facility or open to the general public, or neither? 

The next rubbish disposal (if not Chester) seems to be Ellesmere Port, and I'm not sure I fancy going all the way there now- I'd rather tarry in Chester for a week or so, but these bin bags in the cratch are not a pretty sight, and I'd rather be rid of them asap if possible.  

Will a place like Tattenhall marina accept general waste in bin bags for a fee?

Cheers.

Great thanks, I'll hang on to my rubbish for a few more days in that case- my plan is to go through the 8 locks on Saturday. 

Can I change the question please?  😄

What is Chester basin mooring like, next to the student accommodation? 

Are the youngsters very noisy in the evenings, for example? 

Most people would tend to go through there in summer, when there would be few students about, but at the moment they'll all be in residence. 

Sorry, I don't know.  There's an excellent pub there though ...

We went down the locks on the Dee Branch and moored right at the bottom to the consternation of CRT who have since replaced the lock gates!

Haven't you learned the trick of using rubbish bags small enough to fit in normal litter bins yet Tony?  Black bin bags are a pest to fit through the "letterbox" tops ...

A few years back (BC, before covid) we moored well before the staircase up near The Lock Keeper pub as we were losing the light and it was easy access to the Tesco plus there was a patch of grass for the pooch. It was surprisingly quiet even with the pub in full flow and the flats right next to us.

7 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Great thanks, I'll hang on to my rubbish for a few more days in that case- my plan is to go through the 8 locks on Saturday. 

Most people would tend to go through there in summer, when there would be few students about, but at the moment they'll all be in residence. 

The moorings in the basin tend to be on the opposite side from the buildings so they are a distance away. I didn't realise that the buildings were student accommodation and when we moored there not long after we met you ( October ? ) We weren't aware of any student noise

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Haven't you learned the trick of using rubbish bags small enough to fit in normal litter bins yet Tony?  Black bin bags are a pest to fit through the "letterbox" tops ...

To be honest I haven't had to take unusual measures, at least not so far. 

The CRT bins are usually frequent enough that I can manage, although I did start to struggle last summer on the Llan, as there wasn't much after Ellesmere, and it was area I wanted to travel slowly. 

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

A few years back (BC, before covid) we moored well before the staircase up near The Lock Keeper pub as we were losing the light and it was easy access to the Tesco plus there was a patch of grass for the pooch. It was surprisingly quiet even with the pub in full flow and the flats right next to us.

We have moored there too and agree that it is quite a quiet spot. Good Chinese on the corner above Iceland 

7 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Last week the main noise nuisance in the basin was boaters running generators 11-11 directly under the students' windows. I expect that mooring will be closed eventually as a consequence: the majority suffer because of the thoughtless arseholes. It was sufficiently busy in the basin that you couldn't be confident of rocking up and getting a space.

Consider the moorings by the gardens under the city walls between Cow Lane Bridge and the corner of the walls. If there's no one moored there, as is often the case, it's easy to miss them. There's no sign and the rings are difficult to see. Very pleasant.

MP.

7 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Last week the main noise nuisance in the basin was boaters running generators 11-11 directly under the students' windows. I expect that mooring will be closed eventually as a consequence: the majority suffer because of the thoughtless arseholes. It was sufficiently busy in the basin that you couldn't be confident of rocking up and getting a space.

Consider the moorings by the gardens under the city walls between Cow Lane Bridge and the corner of the walls. If there's no one moored there, as is often the case, it's easy to miss them. There's no sign and the rings are difficult to see. Very pleasant.

MP.

Thanks, thats very useful - I had blithely assumed that since hardly any boats are moving, Chester basin might be very quiet- in fact someone at Tattenhall told me so a few days ago- but clearly they were passing on a bit of hearsay. 

I want to get down through all the locks on Saturday, especially the staircase locks, as its my only day with a crew for ages, and I'd rather have someone on the boat whilst I do the staircase paddles. 

If the basin is full I'll push on another mile or two- its no bother using the ebike to get back into town for a visit. 

Edited by Tony1

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

The moorings in the basin tend to be on the opposite side from the buildings so they are a distance away. I didn't realise that the buildings were student accommodation and when we moored there not long after we met you ( October ? ) We weren't aware of any student noise

If memory serves the uni students start in late Oct, so its quite possible they weren't 'at home' when you visited.

Normally I avoid town centre moorings like the plague, but in this case, as they are on the far side from the towpath users, it looks like they might be quite nice for a day or two- but clearly every other boater thinks the same as me! 

THe area on the other side from the flats gets quite a bit of footfall but if memory serves me right there is a fairly wide bit of grass between the boats and the path.  More grass on the other side of the path between it and the Dee branch this makes it a popular area for dog walkers. 

Ellesmere port is the rubbish disposal for Chester, apparently it why I ended up there :)

Enjoy Chester, it is sorta my home town, despite the EPort upbringing as most of the family were from there and I do love the place.

Spend some time looking up as there's some really interesting building details people often overlook and wander off the main shopping areas because there's plenty of stuff easily missed 

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Ellesmere port is the rubbish disposal for Chester, apparently it why I ended up there :)

Enjoy Chester, it is sorta my home town, despite the EPort upbringing as most of the family were from there and I do love the place.

Spend some time looking up as there's some really interesting building details people often overlook and wander off the main shopping areas because there's plenty of stuff easily missed 

I'm from merseyside so over the decades I've visited Chester many times, but it's never lost its appeal I must say, and it seems there's always loads of stuff you haven't yet seen. 

I remember visiting with my ex about 8 years ago- we were in Spud-U-Like on St Johns Street, and as I headed to the gents I noticed a passageway on one side, with some excavated roman ruins on show, over a low wall. 

I remember thinking how strange it was that a commonplace fast food joint should have this carefully excavated ancient Roman stonework next to the gents toilets.  

• Greenie 1