A circus performer didn't have to jump through hoops to buy a narrowboat from Braunston Marina.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Finley heads off to circus with greatest of ease after buying first narrowboat of the year from Braunston Marina.

Finley Guy, 23, had the idea after her uncle and aunt moved on to a narrowboat on the Ashby Canal.

When she realised that canals for the most part were within easy cycling range of wherever her summer employer, Giffords Circus, was performing, there was no stopping her.

Tim Coghlan, of Braunston Marina, said: "Leisure narrowboats have become increasingly popular as a cheap alternative housing, but until now not as an alternative to the traditional showman’s caravan that goes with the circus fraternity. That was until young Finley had the idea.

Finley heads off to circus with greatest of ease after buying first narrowboat of the year from Braunston Marina | Daventry Express

Barunston Marina Narrowboat Sales Manager Victoria Garfield presents circus performer Finley Guy with a bottle of Prosecco following her purchase of narrowboat CHIP – the marina’s first completed sale of 2022.

11 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Does she realise she's bought a butty! 😅

If it is a butty, 'Chip' is a neat name for it. But I suspect it's actually a powered boat with a butty-style stern - I have seen one or two of those.

Edit: yes, a 3-cylinder Lister.

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

If it is a butty, 'Chip' is a neat name for it. But I suspect it's actually a powered boat with a butty-style stern - I have seen one or two of those.

I'm sure you're right. I just had funny visions of it being bow hauled around the network by  clowns! 🤡 

Of course there are a few clowns on the network already...a considerable number of fishermen for a start. They just don't wear big shoes, red noses and red curly wigs.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Of course there are a few clowns on the network already...a considerable number of fishermen for a start. They just don't wear big shoes, red noses and red curly wigs.

Red noses not unknown.....surely the circus strongman would do the job better?

Don’t get her thinking of following the Circus around on her boat and thinking it’s a short cycle. Looking at their performance schedule the canals would be the K&A and London, so maybe being near a train station and cycling to and from it to work would be better.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Don’t get her thinking of following the Circus around on her boat and thinking it’s a short cycle. Looking at their performance schedule the canals would be the K&A and London, so maybe being near a train station and cycling to and from it to work would be better.

Isn't that where you go to CC ?

Gifford's Circus comes to Minchinhampton Common, she will have to wait for a few years to get to Brimscombe , its around an hour away by bike from Saul junction, 14 mins from Brimscombe  but a lot of hill to climb from both places! 

Its a powered boat "Under the stern deck is a lister petter LPW 3sa engine and PRM gearbox"

Overplated in 2017 

https://braunstonmarina.co.uk/boat-details/nb-chip/

Edited by Stroudwater1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Red noses not unknown.

True actually!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

surely the circus strongman would do the job better?

Or that horse that canters around the ring with the acrobats balancing on top! In fact the acrobat can stay up there on the horse for hauling the boat as they can lift the rope above all the continuous moorers!

• Greenie 1

Makes a 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Gifford's Circus comes to Minchinhampton Common, she will have to wait for a few years to get to Brimscombe , its around an hour away by bike from Saul junction, 14 mins from Brimscombe  but a lot of hill to climb from both places! 

Makes a good story though, probably would be quicker in a horse drawn Showman’s caravan, with continuous moorers and stoppage’s to deal with.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

I remember this boat, it was previously "perma-"moored at Shipton (near Thrupp) on the Oxford. I think it moved for water.

It was moored at the Dunstable and District Boat Club for a long time, there is another moored in St Pancras Basin.