Mold mold and more mold 😱

wibbly wobbler

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

But it sounds like it's not just you with damp problems.

Sure, but it can be bad design or bad habits or bad habits due to trying to stay warm in bad design.

My previous boat was a self build in a shell by a fastidious skilled carpenter who was dying of cancer as he built it but carried on to give him something to hang onto. My present boat was slapped together with glue with useless insulation and inadequate ventilation in the fastest time possible. BUT it has an enormous well laid out interior (for a narrowboat). It was really hard to find a boat where my son and I could haunt separate ends and meet in the middle for the galley, bathroom and saloon so it was kind of this one or tripping over each other and it's well equipped. Typical of broken "things I buy" really - it mostly needs time (which is free) but not too much money.

So, the thing for me is I know that it's not the way we live in it that's the problem. IMO one needs good insulation in order to have good ventilation and still be warm, it's like the difference between living in a single skin brick building and one with cavity walls. So, for us we have no choice but to rip it apart starting at one end and properly insulate it. Only £1,000 materials but a nightmare job to do while living aboard. 

To anyone else with this problem I can only suggest heat/ventilate, see what happens - we can dry out ok but only by being rather colder than I would prefer - I don't mind cold too much, but I have my limits.

3 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Yes, it's a crap boat! Plus we do still breath and cook and wash etc. No problems with my previous boat.

Thanks 🤦‍♀️ I do breathe yes but cooking is a rarity and I've not used the shower once as it needs resealing  (and yes I do wash 😜 ).

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

But it sounds like it's not just you with damp problems.

Judging by the colour of the wood in the bathroom, I suspect there may have been an undetected leak for a while from ages ago, I wonder if that had something to do with it.