Boat set adrift & paddles opened @ kings lock Leicester section.

frangar

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

Much as I love boating through Leicester this is why I wouldn’t moor between Kilby bridge & the city centre pontoons….

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/boat-dangerous-position-after-vandals-6500911

We've only ever ended up on the bottom at a precarious angle due to vandalism once and that was above Wardle Lock in Middlewich. I wouldn't avoid Middlewich even so.

MP.

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We've only ever ended up on the bottom at a precarious angle due to vandalism once and that was above Wardle Lock in Middlewich. I wouldn't avoid Middlewich even so.

MP.

They have tried to burn down the tea room cottage at kings lock a few years ago……

As I said I love boating through Leicester but just choose where you moor….

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well yes….🤣

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Isn't the untying of ropes that the article mentions a bit irrelevant since any boat moored in the same pound is likely to have ended up in a similar situation?

Boats dont normally moor in that pound, Blaby about 5 locks up is where the next boat usually is.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Boats dont normally moor in that pound, Blaby about 5 locks up is where the next boat usually is.

On our last journey through Leicester we noticed quite a few boats moored where you wouldn’t expect them…they are either being brave pioneers or just naive newbies…

As soon as i see the word "vandalism" i take the following story with a huge pinch of salt. After all, it has become CRTs favourite catch-all excuse for any problem they don't want blaming for.

Bear in mind the only witness is a CRT volunteer quoting second hand information.

We moored above Blue Banks Lock 37 last summer - after having left our overnight mooring on the Gardens pontoon (not currently locked but felt safe enough - we had no problem leaving it there in the morning to go across to visit the cathedral. We have also moored here on the way down in readiness for the river section ahead on the following morning.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

Is it a short pound? Anyway as I said, the untying of ropes/setting adrift mentioned seems largely irrelevant as the boat that was moored there would likely have ended up in the same situation with the paddles opened.

But I avoid mooring in short pounds anyway for obvious reasons. Some people don't seem to mind and take the risk. Or perhaps they don't understand the risks?

Edited by blackrose