Planning to Visit The Chesterfield Canal? Make Haste!

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I know the Chesterfield Canal is on the radar of a lot of folks who intend to get around to it at some point. Once there the top end of the canal, above Shireoaks is arguably the best bit and it has been said (in the Pearson guide) that that stretch is the finest in the country!

Well I am just giving folks the heads up that if they want to visit the top end of the canal this year then they need to get a wriggle on and get up there early in the year because CRT have to do some major work on Harthill Reservoir that feeds that section of the canal.

Here is what they plan to do:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/yorkshire-and-north-east/harthill-reservoir-upgrade?fbclid=IwAR21IEJ7x7ob5f5lXyR_qcaW6vvvxs0G598hLDEkAF4efdqdTRIAB_mS0VQ

I understand the reservoir has a similar construction to that at Toddbrook and the level in the reservoir was artifically lowered some time back to ensure it remained safe until these repairs can be carried out. This means that for a couple of seasons the top end of the canal has been hit by restrictions or closure due to lack of water and that is with the reservoir at a reduced level. While they carry out the works the reservoir will be drained even further and there will be no feed available for the top of the canal.

If the planning application is accepted then these works will start this spring and when that happens we expect the effect on the canal to be very fast.. I also understand that the works are due to finish in spring 2023 but they are relying on nature to refil the reservoir for them. Unless we happen to get an extremely wet summer in 2023 it is unlikely the reservoir will be sufficiently full to feed the canal until autumn rains arrive so, unless you get up there PDQ it is likely that you will not get the opportunity until late in 2023.

There is an opportunity to make comments until the end of January as they are inviting people to do so as part of their consultation. Interestingly if you do send comments there is nowhere for you to give an email address so they are not expecting you to want them to reply!

The work has to be done but personally I would have liked them to schedule some works which would usually require a stoppage on that section to run during the time the canal is closed anyway. I also have some concerns about water quality because there is a sewage discharge into the canal up that top end and without any feed to dilute it things are not going to be great.

If they had dug down the back of the sofa and found a bit more money they could have dredged the reservoir to create additional storage ready for the influx of boats when the canal opens up to through traffic but money is tight and they still have Pebley Reservoir to deal with another day.

Just to add that this will only affect the canal above Shireoaks. Although the Brancliffe Feeder comes into the canal just below Turnerwood the winding hole is at Turnerwood and so if you went up as far as there you would need to reverse back down again.

When we were there a few years ago Mrs Grassman didn't fancy doing all the locks at the far end so we winded in the entrance to Shireoaks Marina (in our 62ft Nb) and moored outside it. We then walked the very pleasant flight of locks to the tunnel and took the short train journey back. I've since then always regretted giving in to her and not having boated right to the end. 

So although for the next year or so the water levels will probably prevent anyone reaching the end by boat it's nevertheless still well worth doing it this way.

• Greenie 1

On 16/01/2022 at 18:57, cheshire~rose said:

I know the Chesterfield Canal is on the radar of a lot of folks who intend to get around to it at some point. Once there the top end of the canal, above Shireoaks is arguably the best bit and it has been said (in the Pearson guide) that that stretch is the finest in the country!

Well I am just giving folks the heads up that if they want to visit the top end of the canal this year then they need to get a wriggle on and get up there early in the year because CRT have to do some major work on Harthill Reservoir that feeds that section of the canal.

That's annoying.

I was thinking of going thataway on the way back from Birmingham, so July/August.  I'm not sure if I'll have time enough to go there on the way down to Brum for early June.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

When we were there a few years ago Mrs Grassman didn't fancy doing all the locks at the far end so we winded in the entrance to Shireoaks Marina (in our 62ft Nb) and moored outside it. We then walked the very pleasant flight of locks to the tunnel and took the short train journey back. I've since then always regretted giving in to her and not having boated right to the end. 

So although for the next year or so the water levels will probably prevent anyone reaching the end by boat it's nevertheless still well worth doing it this way.

There are so many people who do that!

Look at the map and see a trail of locks all the way up to, what is essentially, a fairly short summit pound and decide not to bother.  What they don't realise when they look at a line of locks on a map is that they are all really low rise locks AND there are a number of doubles and trebles so that makes less work (only 3 gates on a double and 5 on a treble) 

At least you did walk up there, a lot don't even do that.  We always suggest people walk it one way and then get the train back as they run hourly so it is a very convenient was to see it if folks can't )or won't) do it by boat. 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's annoying.

I was thinking of going thataway on the way back from Birmingham, so July/August.  I'm not sure if I'll have time enough to go there on the way down to Brum for early June.

Well you will be pleased to hear there is an update on my original post

We attended the webinar last night and it seems that as they still have to get planning permission and will need to do some preparation work before draining the reservoir down the most likely timing for that draining now will be mid September 2022 ) With the works expected to take around a year it would mean that hopefully the water levels in the reservoir will refill during winter 2023 meaning by spring 2024 the top end of canal will be open again. 

So in correction to my first post - If you have been intending to do The Chesterfield Canal then THIS YEAR IS THE YEAR TO DO IT! 

The Python Team have been asked to do some work on the lower end of The Brancliffe Feeder which feeds the canal just below Shireoaks to help assist the feed and they are planning to pump water from The River Ryton just above Boundary Lock too so that will keep the canal at Shireoaks at proper levels when the top end is closed. 

My wife and I did it in 2019, in May, it was a late spring so the blossoms etc. were just in bloom and the weather worked in our favour. It is without doubt one of the most beautiful canals and because it does not see huge numbers of boats easy to find delightful moorings.  From memory the first six locks are wide and the rest narrow, I asked a

local why and was told, they were widened to allow stone from a quarry to be moved more quickly as it was used to rebuild the Houses of Parliament, no idea if that's true but it does make sense. The very end near the blocked up tunnel is a little disappointing, maybe one day it will be opened and the whole canal will be open again.  

9 minutes ago, KenK said:

My wife and I did it in 2019, in May, it was a late spring so the blossoms etc. were just in bloom and the weather worked in our favour. It is without doubt one of the most beautiful canals and because it does not see huge numbers of boats easy to find delightful moorings.  From memory the first six locks are wide and the rest narrow, I asked a

local why and was told, they were widened to allow stone from a quarry to be moved more quickly as it was used to rebuild the Houses of Parliament, no idea if that's true but it does make sense. The very end near the blocked up tunnel is a little disappointing, maybe one day it will be opened and the whole canal will be open again.  

I am pleased you enjoyed it as much as we do. As you say there is very little boat traffic and the further up you go the less traffic you encounter. 

There are 5 wide locks leading up as far as Retford. They were created as wide locks because the wealthy movers and shakers in Retford had a plan to use barges to bring goods into their town from The Trent that way. There is no evidence recorded of barges ever having made that trip! Subsequently as the original wooden bridges were replaced with stone they were created to be wide enough for a narrowboat to pass through. A wider beam cannot get as far as Walkeringham because of this.

The stone for the Houses of Parliament was taken by boat down The Chesterfield Canal from the quarry near Alberts Dock on the summit pound. The boats that carried it would have been Chesterfield Boats like Dawn Rose (often referred to as a Cuckoo Boat) The stone was transhipped onto bigger barges, I think at Newark or possibly Gainsborough before heading off down the coast and up The Thames. 

I agree, the very top is a bit of an anti-climax but we have spent some amazing evenings on the old wharf on the offside at the very end. No use if you need to go and walk a dog etc as you can't get to the towpath easily from there but it is very tranquil. More so we think than the visitor mooring by the cascade. There is a good pub by the railway station (at least it was last time I was there!) and what many do is head back downstream to the little rural mooring about half way along the summit - or tie on the end of the top lock landing ready to make your descent the next day. 

The tunnel will be opened up one day. I am told it will be by 2027. Bring it on! 

We have done quite a lot of (sensitive) clearing of overgrown vegetation along the offside since that picture was taken but yes, it is a beautiful photo. I may try and dig a few of mine out to share later if time allows.

Just imagine that scene in autumn sunlight when the leaves have turned ❤️ It never ceases to make me stop in my tracks and soak in the vista

I'm actively working on getting the rest of it restored so I may have to bide my time and wait until I can not only get to Kiveton, but all the way to Chesterfield! 

I'm aiming to retire in 2031, should be done by then (otherwise I guess I won't be allowed to retire!) 

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm actively working on getting the rest of it restored so I may have to bide my time and wait until I can not only get to Kiveton, but all the way to Chesterfield! 

I'm aiming to retire in 2031, should be done by then (otherwise I guess I won't be allowed to retire!) 

Why are you wasting time reading the forum?

You have a canal to restore ;)

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

You could always go again when the last 9 miles are done ...

Mind you I think using a trailable boat is cheating.  Easier, admittedly!

I've been up to the top twice (once singlehanded) and met Cheshire Rose, that tireless advocate of this beautiful canal, on one occasion.    The last time I got to the top I walked back to Thorpe Salvin to visit the Parish Oven, a terrific little pub, only to find that it had closed.   Is there any word of its present situation?   

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've been up to the top twice (once singlehanded) and met Cheshire Rose, that tireless advocate of this beautiful canal, on one occasion.    The last time I got to the top I walked back to Thorpe Salvin to visit the Parish Oven, a terrific little pub, only to find that it had closed.   Is there any word of its present situation?   

I have heard many good things about that place but never been there. 

It appears to be open at present. Perhaps we need to get over there to check it out and help it stay open? 

https://www.theparishoven.co.uk/

It was lovely to meet you at the boat club. That is currently closed (but not for long) The central heating boiler has failed and a new heat source system is due to be installed when the company contracted to fit it manage to have sufficient staff unaffected by Covid and have managed to source all the parts that are currently held up somewhere in the supply train. 

4 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

We went for Liam's birthday a couple of years back after hearing glowing reports of the pub.

Have to say we left bitterly disappointed. Liam's steak was inedible, even the dog wouldn't eat it, my food was mediocre at best and the drinks were just about acceptable. 

We had said at the time that we would go back and give it another try, every pub can have a bad day. But with so many other good pubs to visit in the area we have not gone back yet and don't think we will be rushing back any time soon.