Help with BSS requirement, please: "Is the fuel tank drain fitted with a plug/cap which can only be removed with tools?"

Featured Posts

Hi!

I need to fit a plug/cap to one of the drains on the diesel tank in our widebeam.  There are two drains on our tank: one has a tap; the other has some kind of grub screw in the end of it.  What would you call that 'grub screw' and/or where could I get something like it, please?  I've searched a couple online chandleries but didn't find what I was looking for.

Many thanks,

IMG-1783.jpg.e743558fc6bb11c2e17cea7f510325ea.jpgIMG-1784.jpg.a97c83bafffcd0d9333abd266c3fb9b2.jpg

12 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Why not just take the handle off and put it in the toolbox ?

Thanks, Paul.  I was asked by the BSS examiner specifically to fit a plug, like what's in the other drain.  He said it's fine to keep the tap: I just need to blank the end.

37 minutes ago, danbettles said:

Ah, okay.  So it's nothing particularly special.  Does it matter which type of metal the plug is?  "Malleable iron" is fine?

Not really. You will probably find plain (black) iron, galvanised iron or brass any of which would be OK. Also maybe plastic, which would not.

Wrap some ptfe tape around the plug thread before screwing it into the tap.

Check the markings on the side of the valve - looks like 1/4 to me in which case it will be 1/4" BSP, and remember to use two spanners to remove the hose barb otherwise sods law says that it will unscrew from the "live" (tank) side rather than the hose barb coming out.

springy 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, danbettles said:

Thanks, Paul.  I was asked by the BSS examiner specifically to fit a plug, like what's in the other drain.  He said it's fine to keep the tap: I just need to blank the end.

But the BSS says plug, cap or valve. The BSS checklist (and your examiner) are wrong to require a plug. I agree it is not a big deal and might be good practice but a plug is not a requirement of the BSS.

40 minutes ago, PaulD said:

But the BSS says plug, cap or valve. The BSS checklist (and your examiner) are wrong to require a plug. I agree it is not a big deal and might be good practice but a plug is not a requirement of the BSS.

Very very few of the BSS examiners actually know, or properly apply, the BSS rules, it is 'made up on the fly'. It pays to have a knowledge of the rules yourself, you can then point out the relevant section.

Yes - in this application removing the 'handle' from the valve makes it fully compliant.

Why buy something you don't need ?