Yesterday saw the launch of the Canal and River Trust’s new Improper Mooring process!

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

Yesterday saw the launch of the Canal and River Trust’s new Improper Mooring process. It will be applied where a boat is moored in a way that affects safety or impedes other boaters or waterway users.

Incidents of improper mooring will be recorded by the Trust’s Licence Support Team. Initially, a letter will be sent to the boat owner highlighting the problem. The boater will also receive a booklet including extracts from the Trust’s boat licence terms & conditions, bye-laws, the Navigation Rules, and Boaters’ Handbook to help them understand how they can moor more appropriately.

If a boater does not address their inappropriate mooring, the process will allow the Trust to take action that could ultimately result in the revocation of the boater’s licence.

The charity regularly receives feedback from boaters about craft that are poorly moored, blocking facilities, or making it unsafe for boats to navigate. The Trust is addressing the problem by promoting more considerate mooring and shared use of the waterways, letting those who are moored inappropriately know there is a problem, and ultimately acting against persistent rule-breakers.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Theres a vehicle parking website called Parked like a C@£t, which the public can contribute to, surely this kind of thing could be used as a simple reporting tool for CRT(moored like a T€@t) .

20220114_195016.jpg

There is  Farcebook group already : Moored Like A Tw*t 

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Theres a vehicle parking website called Parked like a C@£t, which the public can contribute to, surely this kind of thing could be used as a simple reporting tool for CRT(moored like a T€@t) .

20220114_195016.jpg

Great website.

you can buy stickers, cable ties and such like to leave behind telling them they park like a C###.

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

image.png.8a399c000fe8c260763c8447adf78fd7.png

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.8a399c000fe8c260763c8447adf78fd7.png

image.png.44756ae9c1ad0a763a850717770cfc3a.png

9 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

There is  Farcebook group already : Moored Like A Tw*t 

I was briefly a "member" of that group but got quickly disillusioned because I thought it was only a matter of time before I featured in it. Quite a few photos showed mooring techniques that I would consider normal or even good boating, such as fitting into a tight gap with fenders very close or even touching, or leaving the back sticking out a couple of feet when in shallow water.

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So nearly every CRT workboat will have been reported by Monday ...

In the good old days of the Waterways Managers, who knew their patch quite well and probably felt some personal ownership towards it, I used to photo all the (inappropriately) moored CRT workboat and send it to them.

And I always got the response something to the effect of 'thanks for that.  We shouldn't be doing it'.

Still happened though.....

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

or leaving the back sticking out a couple of feet when in shallow water.

I resemble that remark.

Can we start dissing boats that bang around at the end of loose ropes and then pull inadequate pins out, or is that still automatically always the fault of passing "speeders"?

MP

• Haha 1