CO Alarm bargain?

Rebotco

Featured Posts

Not quite sure how the digital display helps. "Oh, it's just 200ppm in here, I can switch it off and get another half hours' kip"

But a good find at a good price. If the blinking LED 'on' indicator is less of a hazard warning beacon to shipping than my FireAngel alarm (which, even with two layers of masking tape over the offending beacon, manages to disturb my slumbers if I open my eyes while facing it) I'd be delighted with one.

20 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

At under £10, this Lidl offer looks to be a very good price for a CO alarm with digital display.

HERE

Remember that BS EN 50291-2 are approved for boats, but BS EN 50291-1 ARE NOT approved for boats.

Much more here about what you need :

Carbon Monoxide (CO) | Boat Safety Scheme | Go Boating - Stay Safe

If you already have a Kitemarked alarm, tested to BS EN 50291, or 50291-1, the advice is to keep it, test it routinely and when it needs replacing, choose a unit tested to BS EN 50291-2.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Not quite sure how the digital display helps. "Oh, it's just 200ppm in here, I can switch it off and get another half hours' kip"

But a good find at a good price. If the blinking LED 'on' indicator is less of a hazard warning beacon to shipping than my FireAngel alarm (which, even with two layers of masking tape over the offending beacon, manages to disturb my slumbers if I open my eyes while facing it) I'd be delighted with one.

I would suppose the chief value of a display is that you can see whether the level is increasing or decreasing.

The danger is not in just the level, but a combination of time and level.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Remember that BS EN 50291-2 are approved for boats, but BS EN 50291-1 ARE NOT approved for boats.

If you already have a Kitemarked alarm, tested to BS EN 50291, or 50291-1, the advice is to keep it, test it routinely and when it needs replacing, choose a unit tested to BS EN 50291-2.

Which one do think the LIDL alarm is?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

The pictures do not show the BS EN number (its normally on the back) so I have no idea (do you ?)

Hence me not saying "do not buy it, it is not the right one" and just pointing out that you should confirm before buying.

I thought the purpose of your post was perfectly obvious. 

13 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I thought the purpose of your post was perfectly obvious. 

So did I. What made you think I didn't?

I was merely asking what he thought.

Alan* often finds information that others cant/don't find, so there was always a chance that he might have known, so worth asking.

* de Enfield

does it matter if its the right one or not for 10 quid .get the right one plus that one .more piece of mind i would have thought ,i have two on my boat .and i dont know if they are the right ones .past the safety .so they must be .

7 minutes ago, haza said:

does it matter if its the right one or not for 10 quid .get the right one plus that one .more piece of mind i would have thought ,i have two on my boat .and i dont know if they are the right ones .past the safety .so they must be .

Yes it does matter. As well as the standard, BS50291-1, or -2, there should also be a date of manufacture on the alarm. A -1 standard alarm is only OK, if it was already on the boat. If you buy a -1 alarm, but the date is after your last BSS exam, then an eagle eyed inspector could fail it. My boat has a recent -2 standard alarm and an older -1 alarm. That's OK, because the old -01 alarm is marked as being made 2014, 06, 10.

Jen

Edited to add, My -01 alarm also says replace after 7 years, which I'll now need to do. I'll be buying a -02 standard alarm.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 minutes ago, haza said:

just check mine kite marked . en50291-km988848. 2010 i suspect the 2010 is they year .if so i am way out of date am i not 

2010 isn't the year of manufacture, it was the year the standard was last changed to which it was built.

The alarm I have, which now needs replacing because it was made in 2014 with a seven year life says

EN50291-1:2010

KM98848.

• Greenie 1

yes thanks for that jen . the make i have is a kidde .i have just read the instuctions .it seems mine need replacing ,the other day it was bleeping for maybe 10 secs .it was telling me it needs replacing ,i would not known that if i had not just read the instructions .so thanks to you guys on canalword 

oof to get one just now

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

My Fireangel alarms are marked both EN50291-1:2010 and EN50291-2:2010.

I assume that means that they meet both specifications.

For the sake of an extra £10 every seven years I prefer to buy from a known brand and source for this sort of safety related kit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00441S9GS?

By the way, I also prefer these alarms with a digital readout as that gives an indication that there might be a problem at CO concentrations at around a fifth of the level where it will alarm.  

• Greenie 1

Just to add; according to my last BSS inspector in 2019, you can ignore this X across the boat, it’s the ‘2’ at the end of the long number that’s important.

He did go to great lengths as to why he wasn’t bothered about that X across the boat.

I can’t remember what he said my eyes glazed over as soon as he started up about it. 
But I think it was something along the lines of a narrow boat being more like the caravan and having a steady environment rather than a boat at sea. And some other reason about lack of information for testing on proper boats so therefore that’s why there be a big X over the boat.

In all I just remember the important fact that it’s the 2 that matters. 
So although I had an X over the boat, my alarm is good because it has the 2 on the end of it’s number. 

C867DE34-B5D9-46E1-B061-EB01936DDF91.jpeg

On 13/01/2022 at 20:11, Alan de Enfield said:

Another 'thank you' to everyone for the info. Got my CO alarm at home to avoid it annoying the marina neighbours by beeping 'low battery' all Winter. Marked up as 50291: 2001 but its a FireAngel CO-9B which is listed in the BSS leaflet as tested to -2. Nevertheless, I'll have a look at the middle-o-Lidl one.

On 14/01/2022 at 17:19, haza said:

just got my new EI 207/208 series £15 needs replacing 2032 brought from wilkingsons 

From the manual:

"The models listed below are designed for domestic premises, caravans, motor caravans & boats in accordance with EN 50291-1:2010+A1:2012 & EN 50291-2:2010"

On 13/01/2022 at 20:11, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the box, the ones for sale in my local Lidl are dash-1s with pictograms on the box suggesting it is unsuitable for anything that moves ie yacht, caravan or mobilome. Hey-ho! Better luck next time (they've got a stove fan, though!!!)

49 minutes ago, Opener said:

According to the box, the ones for sale in my local Lidl are dash-1s with pictograms on the box suggesting it is unsuitable for anything that moves ie yacht, caravan or mobilome. Hey-ho! Better luck next time (they've got a stove fan, though!!!)

A lot of boaters happen to also have homes!

• Greenie 1

On 13/01/2022 at 20:11, Puffling said:

They are actually really handy. It will record right down to 10ppm. This is not a dangerous level but if it shows up then it could be the start of a serious problem such as a furring up flue pipe. 

I'd always have a display  and would not consider one with just an alarm because the latter willl only tell you after the problem has occurred rather than giving you advance warning. 

They do work (fireangel) and are effective. I had 48ppm on one of my boats recently when the flue was slightly blocked from burning wood slowly.   Cleaned flue and it was sorted. No emergency. 

If that had just been one with an alarm it would have got to the point of being potentially dangerous. 

Edited by magnetman