Isolation Transformer/Galvanic Isolator

swift1894

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, swift1894 said:

My boat is never plugged into a Mains landline or moored near boats that are. Do I need  a GI or I T?

No, and without a connection to the shore side mains there is no way you can wire on to the boat that will do anything at all. They have no use until the boat is connected to the mains earthing system. That does not mean that a mains fault on an adjacent boat can never cause current to flow through your hull but a GI or IT can not stop that happening when the circumstances allow it, but it is rarer.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, and without a connection to the shore side mains there is no way you can wire on to the boat that will do anything at all. They have no use until the boat is connected to the mains earthing system. That does not mean that a mains fault on an adjacent boat can never cause current to flow through your hull but a GI or IT can not stop that happening when the circumstances allow it, but it is rarer.

👍 Excellent advice, as usual. Thanks Tony.