Narrowboat life: Woman saves over £20,000 on bills after swapping her flat for a boat

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

If you read the full article you'll see that she has enough experience to know what she's taken on.

The headline gives the impression that it's all about saving money but it isn't.

Keith

In know and I was not really commenting on the specific case. However, too many people read these articles and succumb to the temptation, often in response to considerable housing and economic pressure. It is rarely the answer that is expected, as far as I can see.

On 12/01/2022 at 18:50, MtB said:

Sounds to me as though she just let her tenancy lapse and bought a cheap boat, rather than exchanged ownership of her flat for a narrow boat.  

had she really done the latter I'd say she is an idiot.

she didn't own her flat. 

the discussion about the cost of "getting back into property" is irrelevant.

On 12/01/2022 at 18:11, Stroudwater1 said:

Amazing, must be a new dawn for Dawncraft narrowboats Ltd? 

Or is it a Morgan Giles narrowboat? 

It's very recognisable as a Dawncraft Rover cruiser.

When she says she was paying £1200 in rent monthly before, that won't be in Nuneaton -  rent including bills for a studio flat in Nuneaton would be about £500/month. So she's not really comparing like-for-like.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

When she says she was paying £1200 in rent monthly before, that won't be in Nuneaton -  rent including bills for a studio flat in Nuneaton would be about £500/month. So she's not really comparing like-for-like.

And she would have had hot and cold running water 

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Why does she have to compare like for like?

She is comparing the costs of her previous lifestyle to the costs of her current one.

She said she plans to travel with her boat when she's finished the fit out , first stop Stratford on Avon, so if she means ccing the numbers will look even better.

Keith

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

I'm not complaining at you, just that swearing on this excellent spoof with Hitler, in my opinion ruins the joke.

You are, of course, perfectly entitled to hold that opinion. If you do I rather think you are missing the point of a Hitler rant and perhaps they are not for you.🙂

On 18/01/2022 at 10:26, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was aggreged a long time ago that bad language would not be on this site. OK you didn't type it but its still displayed.

Correct and, following a report from a member, the post has been removed.

It was actually quite funny, but the excessive use of obscene language was unacceptable.

Laurie Booth's post, which quoted the clip, has also gone. This is no reflection on Laurie, who was quoting it because he wasn't happy with it.

Edited by Athy

On 20/01/2022 at 09:12, Athy said:

Correct and, following a report from a member, the post has been removed.

It was actually quite funny, but the excessive use of obscene language was unacceptable.

Laurie Booth's post, which quoted the clip, has also gone. This is no reflection on Laurie, who was quoting it because he wasn't happy with it.

:)

Pathetic. Whilst Hitler was a bad man in many ways, he did some nice paintings and was a dog lover.

I don't recall any criticism regarding his language but you can hear bad language every night on tv or in the high street.