Lithium Button Batteries

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

The tv remote control, (or one of them, don’t get me started) was ‘saying’ it’s batteries were flat, so I took them out, checked them on my multimeter, and both showed 3.04 volts, and they are rated at 3 volts.

Having other batteries of the same size (3025) laying around the place, I checked them, and found two that showed 3.24 volts on the meter. Problem solved, the remote works again, but this prompts a couple of questions: why doesn’t a 3.04 volts battery do the job, and are all lithium batteries actually higher power than it says on the back of them?

10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

why doesn’t a 3.04 volts battery do the job, and are all lithium batteries actually higher power than it says on the back of them?

You are measuring the open circuit, no load voltage. I expect if you measured the voltage with the old cells inserted into the remote and a button pressed down, it would fall away to just a volt or two. 

With the new cells in place they would hold up around the nominal 3 volts. 

Although I do have several multimeters, including some that have battery-checking options that check performance under load, I still mostly use my late father's pre-war battery tester.  The brightness of the bulb gives a good enough indication of discharge state. 

Battery tester.JPG

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1

On 12/01/2022 at 11:54, MtB said:

You are measuring the open circuit, no load voltage. I expect if you measured the voltage with the old cells inserted into the remote and a button pressed down, it would fall away to just a volt or two. 

With the new cells in place they would hold up around the nominal 3 volts. 

Thank you, of course, now I understand!

19 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Although I do have several multimeters, including some that have battery-checking options that check performance under load, I still mostly use my late father's pre-war battery tester.  The brightness of the bulb gives a good enough indication of discharge state. 

Battery tester.JPG

What a fantastic piece of equipment.

31 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Thank you, of course, now I understand!

What a fantastic piece of equipment.

Isn't it just! 

From the days when I was a brat and I remember one could figure out how things worked by looking at them or taking them to pieces. 

19 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Battery tester.JPG

Now, that's technology I appreciate, cheap, simple and long lasting. Can you still get the bulbs?

Note the Made in England stamp. Don't see that very often 😞

Edited by Slim
additional info

In fact many "high resistance" faults are made complicated for people who insist on using a voltmeter rather than a test light with (say) a 21 watt bulb. Unless you are aware of the limitations of voltmeter in finding high resistance faults you would be find diagnosis far easier with a test lamp.

That goes for very discharged batteries but that is not such a problem on boat  systems.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Electronics suppliers such as  Farnell/CPC  and RS still stock this sort of torch bulb. Maplin used to stock them. A 2.5V bulb is fine for ordinary 1.5V cells and 3V coin cells. I use a 3.5V bulb for 4.5V flat batteries  and a 12V bulb for the 12V ones  used in some remote controls.