Hunslet 4wDH Engine

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Forgive me is this is a bit off topic but I am relying on the fact that there is a decent cross-over between boaters and railway enthusiasts and maybe someone here can help a friend of a friend 

This gentleman (Graham) has recently bought some ex- DDNGR (Derbyshire Dales Narrow Gauge Railway) stuff from an estate clearance. 

He says: "

One prize 'catch' is a flameproof ex mines Hunslet 4wDH number 8917.

We tried and failed to start it last weekend and we're now searching for the correct manual. It's engine, we're fairly certain is a 28hp Perkins as used in many canal boats.

Do you know where we can obtain the correct manual please? Or do you know any of your many nautical contacts who may be able to help."

The email was forwarded to me because the forwarder knows that you lot know everything. If it is a 28HP Perkins perhaps someone can assist with a manual, or perhaps someone can assist with other information.

I suspect it might be a bit convoluted for me to get messages back to the gentleman as I don't have any direct contact with him but if anyone wants me to try and pop them in touch with him I am sure it can be facilitated 

Thanks in anticipation 

Not sure if Chris Bennett still posts here but he had a Perkins P3 on narrow boat Baldock. He might have a manual. 

Quite a few P3 engines around on boats so I would expect someone to be able to provide a manual. I've got a P4 on one of my boats but no manual for it. 

This one.

HUNSLET 8917

Built 1979 or 1980 depending on which source you look at.

A Perkins engine of that vintage will be fairly straightforward, and anyone familiar with diesel engines should be able to work out why it won't start, without needing a manual. It's probably something simple like the stop control needs moving to the run position or maybe the fuel system needs bleeding.

If your contact can send some photographs of the engine itself (not the whole  locomotive) someone will probably recognise the engine model.

• Greenie 1

My P4 has a Perkins thermostart system in the air intake. At this time of year if you don't energise this preheater  it will crank for ages and ages before starting. I mean ages, starter motor very hot and wires to starter even hotter. 

It's usually wired to the ignition switch but if not then at least on the P4 there are two brass pins just below the air intake which are the electric connection for the preheater. 20 seconds of 12v on these pins makes it start up immediately even in winter. 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

That's dated 1955 so unlikely to be applicable to a 1979/80 engine.

Maybe this which dates from 1991 (and its free):

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1101878/Perkins-3-152.html

There should be an identification plate somewhere on the engine which will give the model and serial number.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Not sure if Chris Bennett still posts here but he had a Perkins P3 on narrow boat Baldock. He might have a manual. 

Quite a few P3 engines around on boats so I would expect someone to be able to provide a manual. I've got a P4 on one of my boats but no manual for it. 

Chris sold Baldock in 2012/3

If its a P series ,then it will have a BPE 3/4/6 pump,and if unused for a long time,its likely the pumping plungers have stuck,so you have no fuel to the injectors...................AS its 1979/80 ,its more likely to have a 3/152/2,or a 4/203/......both similar motors................Its possible for the DPA mechanical injector pump to freeze at zero fuel ,if the stopping cable is left pulled out..........This is quite simply fixed ,if you know what you are doing.

Edited by john.k

Thank you again everyone for your input.  There would appear to be a lot of potentially very useful advice offered already.

I have passed the link for this thread to my friend (the middle-man) who asked me if I could ask here. 

Graham should get to read it when the message gets back and can either join the forum and answer your questions himself or may pass a message back through me.