Grit blast and epoxy in the South?

Ewan123

Featured Posts

Hi folks, I'm sure this has been covered but I'm failing with the search function.

Can someone recommend a good place for a 62ft steel narrowboat to get the hull grit-blasted and 2 pack epoxy applied? We're trying to get it done this year.

* Not P&S Marine (they're well recommended but fully booked for ages ahead.)

* Hoping for somewhere closer to London than Debdale Wharf (also seem highly recommended but we've not got that many cruising days available this year so travelling is limited).

Cheers!

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Winkwell used to do blasting and epoxying but I'm not sure if they still do it. Middx & Herts by the 3 horseshoes pub at Winkwell near Hemel on the GU.

Lots of changes at Winkwell  since it was sold not all for the better :(

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Going up the GU:

Iver?

Uxbridge?

Pitstone?

Willowbridge?

Baxter's?

Trouble is, not a lot of places do blasting, because of the mess and because you need a lot of space as well as pricey kit.

N

Yeah I'm gathering that. Thanks, looks like Highline at Iver do, doesn't look like the others will.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I've seen it done at Highline yachting at Iver on the Slough arm but this was a long time ago. They may not do it anymore. 

The website reckons they do still! I've asked for a quote, cheers.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's another that I've had a few recommendations for but would be hard pressed to get there this year. We're having a survey done next week though so maybe it'll tell me there's no rush!

11 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

ALL 4 Marine on the Thames at Laleham says they do blacking and shot blasting FWIW.

It's worth a shot!

11 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

Lee Valley marina Stansted Abbotts? probaly a waiting list but they have under cover facilities.

They'll do epoxy but not grit-blasting unfortunately, thanks though. Their crane has also been out of action for a bit and caused quite a backlog apparently.

Well I've had a couple of quotes now but blimey do they seem expensive (or maybe I'm unrealistic). Is it just proximity to London/Thames do you think? Both quotes have been at least £7.5k for blasting and epoxy on sides and baseplate (though one is reluctant to do the baseplate). Last year I got a quote from Debdale when I thought we might get near there but that was more like £4k for the same or £6k would have got the hull zinc-coated as well! Perhaps prices are rising in general?

B.O.A.T...

Edited by Ewan123

Get away from London and the prices become more reasonable. Applies to many things-beer as well as boats.

Might even be worth getting a boat mover to take it to Debdale or Norton Canes to save your cruising time.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Get away from London and the prices become more reasonable. Applies to many things-beer as well as boats.

Might even be worth getting a boat mover to take it to Debdale or Norton Canes to save your cruising time.

N

That's the plan! We're escaping this year though we have loved the Lee & Stort, it's just a case of how quickly we can do it really.

Tricky to work from the boat while having someone move it for us though ;) 

As it happens I've used Canalplan again and I must have done something wrong before because now it's suggesting about 10 days from the end of the Lee to Debdale instead of 14 - which makes all the difference. Might be Debdale after all!

Edited by Ewan123

I missed your CC status.  That said, you will need to be off the boat whilst it is blasted.  It is a filthy job and, unless you seal everything,- vents, windows, doors, drains, really really well there will be muck  everywhere. 

According to Clegg, Mk1 Mod 0, it is 68 hours from Hertford to Kibworth, so if you really go for it, you should be able to do it in a week, provided you time Watford and Foxton to avoid long delays. 

There are several long pounds where you could get/keep going early or late, without having to worry about locking in the dark,  or get a chance to take turns for a sit down.

N

• Greenie 1

If you could I would book in at Debdale. They  do an excellent job and my 62ft was about 5k including zinc spraying and some minor repairs. Takes a week when you will need to be off the boat but they keep the muck off the boat and as its done  inside not weather dependant. I have not seen anywhere else where there is a proper setup and having it done outside means you are always subject the weather.  Given the cost I would be cautious of some providers and Debdale give a guarantee. If you are fit a week should get you to Debdale from London. Ther is no public transport from Debdale so bikes or taxi is required.

If I were t get mine done, after much research n the last few years, Debdale really is the best bet. Temperature controlled, hoisted (not dragged on rollers), boat protected properly. They invested  £m's in the facility. If you haven't got the time, consider a professional boat moved (a few on FB) then maybe you could just enjoy the trip back? Also approx 40% cheaper than down south as well.

They have a fixed hoist which lifts the boat up and sideways onto a rather fancy remote controlled trailer which takes it into the shed. Inside they have a number of mobile lifts like half a car lift  which can lift the boat up above the trailer and you can walk under the boat, the trailer can be removed and the lifts re positioned easily to allow all areas to be worked on and the height easily changed . Makes most yards look very out dated. Roller shutter doors can then be closed.

• Greenie 2

There is a similar set at Circus Field in the covered slipway. 

Pictures on the ACS website.  The lift columns work with beams that go across under the boat so as to spread the load onto the baseplate  and not rely on the chine corner to spread the load.  The lifts pictured above are really designed to lift a vehicle by its tyres.

N

11 hours ago, BEngo said:

There is a similar set at Circus Field in the covered slipway. 

Pictures on the ACS website.  The lift columns work with beams that go across under the boat so as to spread the load onto the baseplate  and not rely on the chine corner to spread the load.  The lifts pictured above are really designed to lift a vehicle by its tyres.

N

The hoists at Circus Fields

1039 Aylesbury Dry Docking 4th April 2015_2.JPG

1040 Aylesbury Dry Docking 4th April 2015_2.JPG

• 9 months later...
On 11/01/2022 at 17:18, magnetman said:

I've seen it done at Highline yachting at Iver on the Slough arm but this was a long time ago. They may not do it anymore. 

Still done. Well, by all accounts. Even do the base plate, using hydraulics so they can move the chocks etc

On 13/01/2022 at 14:09, Ewan123 said:

Well I've had a couple of quotes now but blimey do they seem expensive (or maybe I'm unrealistic). Is it just proximity to London/Thames do you think? Both quotes have been at least £7.5k for blasting and epoxy on sides and baseplate (though one is reluctant to do the baseplate). Last year I got a quote from Debdale when I thought we might get near there but that was more like £4k for the same or £6k would have got the hull zinc-coated as well! Perhaps prices are rising in general?

B.O.A.T...

Sounds like a lot even for down here. Maybe try Paddy at Enfield Lock. He did grit blasting. Don't tell him I told you