Leeds Liverpool Can get upgraded tow-path starting next month

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Leeds-Liverpool Canal towpath works to begin next month | Bradford Telegraph and Argus (thetelegraphandargus.co.uk)

West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) confirmed the overdue project to improve the stretch of towpath next to the Leeds-Liverpool Canal between Apperley Bridge and Shipley will begin in February.

The initiative, which is sponsored by the Canal and Rivers Trust, will see higher quality surfacing installed, as part of a push to encourage more people to use the routes to walk and cycle.

Mr Frazer walked along the route as recently as this weekend and revealed the worst conditions are between Dobson Locks at Apperley Bridge and Field Locks, in the Shipley direction.

People on a Facebook community group for the Greengates and Apperley Bridge area commented about their own struggles with this stretch of towpath.

One woman said she had to "really think" about her dog walks due to the conditions, while a man said it is "near impossible to walk on that way if it's rained a lot".

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Leeds-Liverpool Canal towpath works to begin next month | Bradford Telegraph and Argus (thetelegraphandargus.co.uk)

West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) confirmed the overdue project to improve the stretch of towpath next to the Leeds-Liverpool Canal between Apperley Bridge and Shipley will begin in February.

The initiative, which is sponsored by the Canal and Rivers Trust, will see higher quality surfacing installed, as part of a push to encourage more people to use the routes to walk and cycle.

Mr Frazer walked along the route as recently as this weekend and revealed the worst conditions are between Dobson Locks at Apperley Bridge and Field Locks, in the Shipley direction.

People on a Facebook community group for the Greengates and Apperley Bridge area commented about their own struggles with this stretch of towpath.

One woman said she had to "really think" about her dog walks due to the conditions, while a man said it is "near impossible to walk on that way if it's rained a lot".

Its actually like a lot towpaths I am hoping that we license payers aren't paying for it, council's seems the logical choice, after all we cruise on the canal not the path 🤣

The Towpath along that stretch to Leeds is better then most, the biggest problem is that it’s too good in some places and is often used by cyclists chain ganging at speed, I image a lot of the rutting is caused by the cyclists and now they want their damage repaired with tarmac so they can go faster. That area has lots of towpath walkers but boaters suffer with the leaking locks and hard to use swing bridges, but no money being spent on those at the minute.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 3

When they upgrade the towpath on the Rochdale Canal one of the apparent benefits for boaters was that they rebuilt a number of collapsed sections of the towpath side wash wall. Problem is that they didn't dredge the canal out first, so some of the rebuilt sections of wall are built on shallow foundations in silt, and are now vulnerable to that material being washed out from under them, which could result in them collapsing again in a few years time.

• Horror 1

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

Its actually like a lot towpaths I am hoping that we license payers aren't paying for it, council's seems the logical choice, after all we cruise on the canal not the path 🤣

The article doesn't make clear who is funding this but AdE hasn't quoted the whole thing and missed out this bit:

Funding for the project - which also includes a three kilometre stretch of towpath between Silsden and Kildwick - was announced by WYCA way back in 2020 and it was revealed in March 2021 that work would begin that Autumn.

46 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

The article doesn't make clear who is funding this but AdE hasn't quoted the whole thing and missed out this bit:

Thats why I quote the link so you can read the whole article, I quote the first couple of paragraphs so 'you' can decide if it is of interest and read the whole thing by clicking the links.

In the past I have been crticised for not quoting sources  and have only quoted the text, the request then is to post links so they can read it all and make sure I have not misrepresented it.

In the past I have been crticised for simply pasting the link and not giving an idea what the article is about.

Now I'm criticised for giving the link and a 'taste' of the article.

It is right what they say "you cannot please all of the folk all of the time, there will always be some grumpy sod who will criticise whatever you do"

Maybe read the article again - it makes it plain who is funding the upgrades

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats why I quote the link so you can read the whole article, I quote the first couple of paragraphs so 'you' can decide if it is of interest and read the whole thing by clicking the links.

In the past I have been crticised for not quoting sources  and have only quoted the text, the request then is to post links so they can read it all and make sure I have not misrepresented it.

In the past I have been crticised for simply pasting the link and not giving an idea what the article is about.

Now I'm criticised for giving the link and a 'taste' of the article.

It is right what they say "you cannot please all of the folk all of the time, there will always be some grumpy sod who will criticise whatever you do"

I didn't criticise you for adding quotes from an article, I criticised you for only adding one-sided quotes which supported your argument and ignoring the parts that didn't... 😉

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's not plain to me. Was it WYCA (who are doing the announcing) or CRT (who are doing the sponsoring) ?  What does sponsoring mean in this case? If I sponsor someone doing a local 10k for a fiver it doesn't mean I'm paying for the whole breast cancer cure research programme.

27 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

It's not plain to me. Was it WYCA (who are doing the announcing) or CRT (who are doing the sponsoring) ?  What does sponsoring mean in this case? If I sponsor someone doing a local 10k for a fiver it doesn't mean I'm paying for the whole breast cancer cure research programme.

It really is not difficult :

Funding for the project - which also includes a three kilometre stretch of towpath between Silsden and Kildwick - was announced by WYCA way back in 2020.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It really is not difficult :

Funding for the project - which also includes a three kilometre stretch of towpath between Silsden and Kildwick - was announced by WYCA way back in 2020.

Well that doesn't clear it up for me. Announcing something isn't the same as actually doing something.  Where does the CRT "sponsorship" fit into the funding by the WYCA?