another home electrics question

Featured Posts

I tried to google it, wandered through electrician forums, and then figured I would come back here where I always get clear answers.

I have a sitting room/kitchen combined that has 11 LED downlighters.  One of them went dim last year, the electrician who put them in [in 2014] took it away to see if there was a warranty claim - he has been hard to get hold of since...  All ten are now dim and I want to replace them.  With... what?  This is the blurb:

230V, 12.4W LED, Mains Dimmable, White
810 Lumens, 2700K, 46 Degree
Diameter:80mm, Recess:100mm

image.png.e42a939dd076b046aa4f9747721ada6b.png

image.png.92c25248b684752353c372dfc45a55de.png

At the time, the documents called them Orlu Quad70 recessed tilt dimmable... but I can find no lighting company called Orlu.  I quite liked the look of these, but looks like I need to be... well, something other than what I am.  Ecostar® | Ecostar® Products | Ecostar® Lighting (serenlighting.com)

Key requirements are that the light is bright, that I do not have to any more hole cutting [the hole is 70mm], and that they are dimmable.  I do not really need them tilt-able.  Finally, is the problem likely to be in that little plastic thing in my hand, or the light unit itself?  Do both need to be replaced?

thanks in advance....  

Personally I would junk the lot including the transformer and fit Something like this

You will have to pull new wiring through the ceiling as I did when I fitted them in my kitchen.

I dont like 12v downlights as the transformer is always a problem.

They do adjustable ones as well if you need them

Edited by Loddon
To get link right
  • Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Personally I would junk the lot including the transformer and fit Something like this

You will have to pull new wiring through the ceiling as I did when I fitted them in my kitchen.

They do adjustable ones as well if you need them

Can you help me understand the difference?  I have figured out the difference between these and GU10....

35 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I have got fed up with replacing the 15 transformers in our 12v downlighters in the kitchen so this year purchased new 230v ones that fit in the same 'hole' and simply wired in using the wire that had previously led to each transformer.

Simples.

I think they were these ones (went for the fire rated due to all the insulation in the kitchen ceiling) :

Fire Rated Cast GU10 Downlight Chrome (toolstation.com)

32910.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

Can you help me understand the difference?  I have figured out the difference between these and GU10....

Ok

The ones you have use a transformer, the plastic box, to convert mains 230v to 12v 

GU10 are 230v but with a capsule lamp.

The ones I linked are 230v with inbuilt conversion to run tge LED lamp, so can be wired the same way as GU10.

Just remember to turn the power off at the fuseboard before working on the circuit ;)

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Ok

The ones you have use a transformer, the plastic box, to convert mains 230v to 12v 

GU10 are 230v but with a capsule lamp.

The ones I linked are 230v with inbuilt conversion to run tge LED lamp, so can be wired the same way as GU10.

Just remember to turn the power off at the fuseboard before working on the circuit ;)

thanks again... so can I simply take the wire that is going in to the transformer and use that to connect up the ones you have linked?  It would be a heck of a job to run new wire to all the lights in the ceiling.  It is the ceiling of the ground floor, so there is no insulation to deal with.

1 minute ago, Wittenham said:

thanks again... so can I simply take the wire that is going in to the transformer and use that to connect up the ones you have linked?  It would be a heck of a job to run new wire to all the lights in the ceiling.  It is the ceiling of the ground floor, so there is no insulation to deal with.

Yes the wire going to the transformer will be 230v, remove the old fitting and the transformer, you should then be good to go.

They are sold singly as well so you can buy 11.

• Greenie 1

Yep replace with GU10 fittings running off mains direct. You can then fit whatever colour and output power lamps (lumens or watts) you want. What I've found is that price  has dropped and the output power of leds has increased and the 'colours' available are better now, so it's easy to change as the technology moves. Only downside is linking all the fittings. 

Make sure you get dimmable lamps If you want to use a dimmer. 

Edited by jonathanA
Minor typo
  • Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

May be - but the power consumption is low anyway so the PF not a major consideration?

Consider an exhibition or shop where most of the power used is lighting and LED It may not be much but could well be a high percentage 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Consider an exhibition or shop where most of the power used is lighting and LED It may not be much but could well be a high percentage 

Then it becomes economic to fit power correction capacitors.

The better manufacturers (e.g phillips) build pf correction into their stuff and claim a pf .99. Guess some of the cheaper stuff might not be as good but surprised if  it's as low .3 

I've seen some dubious techno babble talking about 'blind current' claiming competitiors products are as low as .3. 

There will be someone on here who will know for sure. 

16 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

The better manufacturers (e.g phillips) build pf correction into their stuff and claim a pf .99. Guess some of the cheaper stuff might not be as good but surprised if  it's as low .3 

I've seen some dubious techno babble talking about 'blind current' claiming competitiors products are as low as .3. 

There will be someone on here who will know for sure. 

Phillips are better as you say

image.png.a6ac042d433f527fcd9bccad45f3365b.png