Refleks Stove 66M - not burning correctly??

Mattijs

Featured Posts

Hello all, 

I just installed a 66M Refleks Stove, manage to light it properly and to keep it burning, but I doubt that it's burning correctly. 

It doesn't give a lot of heath. It's not too cold outside, and it's quiet small inside (sailingboat of 8 meters, the "room" that is heated is about 3 x 2,5 x 2 meters), but after several hours of burning, the temperature only raises a few degrees, it stays quiet chilly inside. 

In instruction videos etc. , I noticed that the flame should be located at the upper circle of air-holes, 10cm above the bottom of the burner pot. 
With my stove this is not the case: it burns completly at the bottom. Sometimes the flames grow higher, but they never form at the upper air holes. 

Any ideas of why this happens? And could this be related to the limited heathing?

I just cleaned the burner pot completely, cleaned the holes with an air compressor, so they are not blocked. 

In other videos I saw that some stoves have a spring in the middle, that starts to glow orange when lighted. Could this help to bring the flames upwards? 

Here some pictures. If you look closely, you'll see the flame stays at the bottom of the pot. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Burner pot.jpg

Burning.jpg

Rings.jpg

Judging from the picture, I think you do not have sufficient fuel coming into the pot. Check forward from the tank supply to make sure that you have an unimpeded flow into the float control valve, that the filter in the valve is clear, that the metering column is clear, and finally the supply pipe into the pot. If that is all clear, then check that the fuel into the pot will give a level of about 10mm -15mm over the base. Use the search facility to look for detailed instructions. @cuthound has posted pictorial hints.

I'm not sure on your stove whether you should have a catalyser (the wire) ; a look at the parts list from Reflex will show you whether you should have one. I've serviced many pot burners over the years that rely on ring sets like your picture shows.

Here are the links to the posts of mine that @Ex Brummie mentioned.

In the first instance vigorously pull and push the fuel inlet scraper in and out, to ensure the fuel inlet isn't blocked and make sure all of the holes in the burner pot are clear. Then check the fuel filters for cleanliness.

Edited by cuthound

Thanks Ex Brummie and Cuthound for the replies!! 

Insufficient fuel coming in: Supply from the tank is clear, I cleaned the filter and the regulator body, and blew out the supply pipe last week. But ... I do have been adjusting settings on the regulator, so maybe I'll have to bring it up again. 

To make it more clear, I uploaded two video's here, one on low fuel settings (burning blue with a bit of yellow), and one with higher fuel settings (burning orange). 

So ... letting more fuel to enter the pot doesn't bring the flame up to where it should be (the upper circle of air holes), but just creates completely yellow flames. 

After reading around here, I think I don't let the stove to heat up enough from the start. Untill now I used 2 cl of Naptha. Tomorrow I'll get the methylated spirits, and try with 5cl of that. 

With my bubble stove, Iput a twist of tissue in the centre of the pot turn the control up to full andwhen the tissue is wet, light it. I leave the door ajar and after 2-3 mins, turn the control down to half and after another 2-3 mins when there is a full yellow lazy flame, I close the door and then all the combustion air is drawn through the pot and the flame turns blue. Anothe point to look for if your flame is consistently low and lazy, is the seal of the pot against the mounting plate. If this is poor, then the flue will pull air through that and not through the pot holes.