what instruments

haza

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, haza said:

well it seems there are a few that play some thing or other and most add ,but not very good 

That would be me, on guitar about a decade ago, alto saxophone for a few years up to 3 or 4 years ago, ( our new dog heard me blow a few notes and, if she could have smashed her way through the back doors on the boat, she would have - needless to say, I decided it wasn't fair on her, so it's been consigned to it's case ever since). I subsequently got a Yamaha Digital Piano, ( P121B 73 keys), which I can play a few tunes on, but not well enough to go public :( 

One of the problems is that, in order to become good at a tune, including remembering the notes, you have to practice to the point where you are fed up with it. Kind of defeats the object, but I persevere.

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

One of the problems is that, in order to become good at a tune, including remembering the notes, you have to practice to the point where you are fed up with it. Kind of defeats the object, but I persevere.

Exactly that! I used to play for hours every day but it would take an hour to get "warmed up". When kids came along I didn't have time for that sort of selfish behaviour and decades later I can play all day and still be rubbish! So I record, snip out the best bits, copy shuffle them around, nudge them into time and add a load of reverb. The wonders of digital recording and editing. :lol:

yes boys my hubbys old teacher used to say .practice a given tune a 1,000 times and  your learning it .play it 2.000 times then  you own it lol .but its true what they say practice makes perfic .and that is very true .hes been learning the acoustic version of .sultans of swing now for over 12 months .and theses are is words not mine .its breaking is balls .again its all about enjoying it ..  

Many years ago I made a bowed psaltry, I managed to play London's Burning after a fashion. After that it became an ornament. About 10 years ago I made a dulcimer, I've never managed to play anything on that. (another ornament!)

As a musician, I'm strictly audience, I just like making things.

• Greenie 1

I ended up playing a duet with another boat coming through Harecastle Tunnel a few years ago -- me on melodeon, the other guy on trumpet. Not easy due to the delay (they were quite a way behind us) and massive reverberation time (several seconds!) so we had to stick to slow tunes, but great fun. Got a bollocking from the jobsworth tunnel keeper when we got out on the grounds that the music might have prevented a distress horn being heard, to which I pointed out that either instrument might be found distressing by some people... 😉

• Greenie 1

yes hubby knows  of arthurs   stuff,s seen him perform  very good is song called fences great tune plus many more . but thats going back a while one of is band members left arthurs band and formed the slippery hill boys a blue grass band .hubby as jammed with those a few times again a while back now tho .all very good stuff 

Have been known to play a guitar, but never take it on a boat - I do play a melodeon, and usually play it in tunnels. Proper stuff for folks of a certain age... like 'The Trumpton Fireman's Song', 'Time Flies by when you're the driver of a train' and for anyone who remembers Chigley, The Bargee's song.

... not to mention 'Delilah' and 'Telstar' !

19 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Love them :)

Glad to hear that, me too -- have seen them many times, since long before they because famous(-ish).

I do remember a folk club gig they did (pre-Millenium?) where a bunch of uke players from one of the societies turned up, and were very dischuffed when not a single George Formby number was performed.

George (Hinchcliffe) tried explaining that this wasn't what the Ukes did, but they still weren't happy -- I think "Fly me off the Handel" pushed them over the edge... 😉

(me too -- I almost fell off my chair laughing when "Hotel California" came in. And I'd heard it before so I knew what was coming...)

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Banjolele 

George -- Formby, not Hinchcliffe -- had a whole heap of ukuleles and banjoleles, all tuned to different keys for different songs because he only played in one key (one set of fingerings/chords)...

Edited by IanD

56 minutes ago, IanD said:

George -- Formby, not Hinchcliffe -- had a whole heap of ukuleles and banjoleles, all tuned to different keys for different songs because he only played in one key (one set of fingerings/chords)...

Very true. I once met a chap in Belfast who told me that he had held the responsibility of tutoring him for each new song.

love the uke bands  bloody marvelous .the harbour master at diglis runs a uke club from the swans with two  neck in worcs .use to be on a tuesday evening i believe ,we went along a few times great nite .if they still do it there pop along .mr formby invented the formby lick .if you can master that then your a good un .hubby for one reason or another can not get it he gave up on it long ago  lol , also sam brown ,joes daughter goes around the country teaching uke its a great passion of hers