what instruments

haza

Featured Posts

a while back before covid we would  go too middlewhich boat and music fest ,most evenings  mr and a few other boaters would  get together. sit on the towpath playing there given instruments well into the evening and a great time would be had by every one  will those times ever come back ..it got me thinking how many boaters out there play a musical  instrument and if so what ? mr plays guitar banjo .and dobro . regards 

Just now, haza said:

a while back before covid we would  go too middlewhich boat and music fest ,most evenings  mr and a few other boaters would  get together. sit on the towpath playing there given instruments well into the evening and a great time would be had by every one  will those times ever come back ..it got me thinking how many boaters out there play a musical  instrument and if so what ? mr plays guitar banjo .and dobro . regards 

Certainly they will I'm sure. 

I have two guitars (both full size classical) an octave mandola and a ukulele - can't claim any great competence on them. Might trade one guitar in for a three-quarter or even half size one. 

Just been offered a keyboard with weighted keys, but it won't be going on the boat! 

If I could find a lonely mooring the trumpet could come out of retirement 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I used to play trumpet as well, I hadn't played it for some time so gave it to a very talented teenager.

Still got the Bugle though so anyone for reveille on the towpath.

10 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I used to play trumpet as well, I hadn't played it for some time so gave it to a very talented teenager.

Still got the Bugle though so anyone for reveille on the towpath.

As a lifelong Trombonist,I find if I hav'nt blown it for a few weeks,face muscles relax and for a short time the sound resembles wet flatulance!

The brass instruments need constant practice to maintain a tolerable standard.

A friend plays Trombone and Double Bass,and only plays the Bass once a year with the local Gilbert and Sullivan society.

He tells me the Bass is no problem playing it once a year,but wouldn't dare play the Trombone in public after a year off! 😰

11 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Might I suggest Sparrow cove, I think there is a space where the SS Great Britain was.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

As a lifelong Trombonist,I find if I hav'nt blown it for a few weeks,face muscles relax and for a short time the sound resembles wet flatulance!

The brass instruments need constant practice to maintain a tolerable standard.

A friend plays Trombone and Double Bass,and only plays the Bass once a year with the local Gilbert and Sullivan society.

He tells me the Bass is no problem playing it once a year,but wouldn't dare play the Trombone in public after a year off! 😰

That is why my son used to always take his trombone on the boat so he could keep his face in shape. He liked paying it in tunnels.

21 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Used to regularly pass a very loud sounding but melodic bagpipe player on the W&B near Tardebigge some years ago , he wasnt allowed to play in the house, which I could understand. It always used to make me chuckle. 

In the village where i grew up, a Scottish family had moved into one of the houses and the man of the house fancied himself a bagpipe player. Every Sunday he’d stand in one of the fields up the hill and treat us all to a rendition of some tune or other (all indistinguishable) until the local farmer showed him the error of his ways :) 

I can play about 7 chords, don’t ask me to name them, on a uke. I can usually pick out a tune on one string of a guitar. In my youth i had a Bert Wheedon’s Play In A Day book, but after several weeks found it wasn’t quite that easy on a HMD acoustic with only four strings left and no clue on how to tune. 

My Mum always said the only thing i could play well was silly buggers :D 

• Haha 1

I play the electric guitar though not as well as when I was younger. With the "restrictions" I use a computer and a DAW to jam with people around the world. Not really jam as in all play at the same time, we just start or download started tracks add our thang then upload for anyone else to contribute so it's like writing something new every time but bouncing ideas with other people. You might start with a guitar track and then 10 bass players all do their thing and each of those might get other things added so it grows like a tree. It's nice when you're done and for example the drummer is in Germany, bass player in Italy, guitarist in the USA, sax player in Mexico and the singer in England. There are a lot of groovy cats in France, Germany and Italy I've noticed. All styles from classical to metal to soul to blues to folk to funk to jazz - anything and everything. I'm in my 60's - never too old to rock and roll. :)

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 1

well it seems there are a few that play some thing or other and most add ,but not very good .my other half as always said its not about playing well its about enjoying it .its not perfection its performance ,he also suffers from arhuritus and carpel tunnel  in is hands and as done for a while now .but i dont think there is a day that dont go by  he dont play even if its just for half hour .in the day and when younger it was 24/7 .going back to the middlewhich fest and the tow path jams .some guy was passing and asked if he could listen of course pull a chair up .after about 20 mins the guy said .he dabbles on the uke . hubby said hang on i got one here .were upon he started playing .i kid you not .it was a susan boyle moment ..to this day hubby says he as  never heard one play as good as he did, by that fella .in conversation he said he was a boater .from yorkshire way i think , be nice to bump into him again and the others some day .regards