Thetford 263S Cassette Toilet

steve.sharratt

Featured Posts

Hi,

I purchased a Thetford a while back and am about to cut a hole in the wall.  The instructions are hopeless and do not even address the cutting into a wall. (With the exception of a reference to another section which just quotes a diagram number - no sign of the diagram though!) Does anyone have a template or measurements? The cassette is not much narrower than the back frame so there is not much margin for error and any mistake will likely be visible.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, steve.sharratt said:

Hi,

I purchased a Thetford a while back and am about to cut a hole in the wall.  The instructions are hopeless and do not even address the cutting into a wall. (With the exception of a reference to another section which just quotes a diagram number - no sign of the diagram though!) Does anyone have a template or measurements? The cassette is not much narrower than the back frame so there is not much margin for error and any mistake will likely be visible.

Cheers

If you measure the full height and width of the cassette the hole simply needs to be just large enough for the cassette to pull through.

You need to take account of the height it sits off the floor. From memory (for a C260) it's about 3cm but you can easily measure this.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you measure the full height and width of the cassette the hole simply needs to be just large enough for the cassette to pull through.

You need to take account of the height it sits off the floor. From memory (for a C260) it's about 3cm but you can easily measure this.

Hi Happy,

I think that is what I will need to do. I was just measuring up previously and noticed that the cassette size comes very close to the width of the toilet frame at one point. That’s when I threw a hissy fit and decided to ask the experts! I am being overly cautious as the wall is old reclaimed timber and if I get it wrong it can’t be fixed. 

I did notice that the widest part of the cassette will not need to pass through the wall as it is at the back of the toilet - I might go back and remeasure at the point that it passes through the wall. 

13 minutes ago, steve.sharratt said:

I did notice that the widest part of the cassette will not need to pass through the wall as it is at the back of the toilet - I might go back and remeasure at the point that it passes through the wall. 

I'm not sure what the cassette is gong to open out into??

But I am presuming it's into a wardrobe with the rear protruding into there? In which case yeas you could fit it like that.

The C260 didn't have that protruding bit so you could just face the loo up to the wall and accurately mark the outside of the outer casing and keep your hole within that. Harder to do with the 263s

C263.JPG

PS Bonkers that they don't include template.

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'm not sure what the cassette is gong to open out into??

But I am presuming it's into a wardrobe with the rear protruding into there? In which case yeas you could fit it like that.

The C260 didn't have that protruding bit so you could just face the loo up to the wall and accurately mark the outside of the outer casing and keep your hole within that. Harder to do with the 263s

C263.JPG

PS Bonkers that they don't include template.

Just looked at the fitting instructions left with ours and it states a template is supplied.

I installed a C263 cs a couple of months ago. You should have a template in with the instruction manual.  

However it isn't really needed, you can measure up for it fairly easily. As @The Happy Nomad says, just watch for the height the cassette actually sits off the floor when it's in the toilet. Hole size isn't massively critical.....As long as the hole is bigger than the cassette (obviously), but smaller than the rear width of the toilet 'cistern'.

There are some useful tips and diagrams from @The Happy Nomad and myself in this thread from a few months back, which you might find useful. 

Thanks Pearly.  That looks nice and I like the way you have run the water.

45 minutes ago, pearley said:

Just looked at the fitting instructions left with ours and it states a template is supplied.

Definitely not with mine.  They reference a diagram but I can’t find it anywhere - not even on the internet.

8 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I installed a C263 cs a couple of months ago. You should have a template in with the instruction manual.  

However it isn't really needed, you can measure up for it fairly easily. As @The Happy Nomad says, just watch for the height the cassette actually sits off the floor when it's in the toilet. Hole size isn't massively critical.....As long as the hole is bigger than the cassette (obviously), but smaller than the rear width of the toilet 'cistern'.

There are some useful tips and diagrams from @The Happy Nomad and myself in this thread from a few months back, which you might find useful. 

Cheers - I did do a search before I posted but didn’t find this one.  I’ll have a read now.  I have taken some measurements and they seem to match what others have advised so I might whip the jigsaw out tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, steve.sharratt said:

Definitely not with mine.  They reference a diagram but I can’t find it anywhere - not even on the internet.

I too looked to see if Mr/Mrs. Google could locate such a thing but drew a blank like you.

1 hour ago, steve.sharratt said:

Thanks Pearly.  That looks nice and I like the way you have run the water.. 

Not my doing. Fitted by Aintree Boats.

I would add that our instructions mention a restrictor in the water inlet. They didn't fit one, if it was part of the kit, with the result that water would end up on the top of the toilet under the seat on the right hand side. Turning the isolator valve to about half way sorted it

1 hour ago, pearley said:

I would add that our instructions mention a restrictor in the water inlet. They didn't fit one, if it was part of the kit, with the result that water would end up on the top of the toilet under the seat on the right hand side. Turning the isolator valve to about half way sorted it

Good tip.  I had been planning to ask about water pressure as I plan to plumb it directly in to the water circuit (run by a jabsco).  I will make sure the shut off valve is suitable.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

If Google can’t answer it, there is something wrong!

48 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

That's a very good tip. I teed off the 15mm pipe with a 15mm - 10mm reducer tee, and used 10mm pipe to connect to the toilet as it's quite a bit more flexible than the 15mm pipe. It works fine but the pump cycles when you flush as the 10mm pipe restricts the flow, and I wish I had used 15mm.