"Jolly canal couple to realise dream of restoring 'floating village hall'"

StephenA

Featured Posts

I believe that Scholar Gypsy knows when Frog was built?

More pictures of Mouse through times not from me though 

Mouse Whitchurch marina  2012 courtesy of Peter Scott 

spacer.png

2011 Historic Braunston meet, picture via Peter Scott, courtesy of Ian Mulford spacer.png

2003 Soho railway bridge BCN From Peter Scott 

AM-JKLUuxwN_7UB5E4OUOkUuAOT101uBBVysGE7CJ9Yhw4sL37IW_9ITmMFHUTZDjZjOeoCHFuca1QgtdIl5eskm7rtD-dRIluXJtjFwYfG8ivon3cMKpcLLKWGAplzo-Fyb37OrbqCoQ4yucJzPbzF8HGOazA=w1285-h965-no

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Rather than the Blisworth re-line (which was done with the tunnel dried out and road vehicle access from the Blisworth end)  Mouse and Frog were built for the major repairs to  Braunston tunnel, a bit earlier.   UCC had the contract for moving the brick and mortar boats in the tunnel, so had Mouse and Frog built short enough to turn in the tunnel

I dont know who built them- possibly Chris Barney or Baliol Fowden.  For some time Frog was on the bank between Willoughby and the motorway crossing at Barby.

There were six riveted Harris pleasure boats, built in 1960 and 1961. I have seen four: Primus, Secundus, Victoria and Kalamaki.  All are recognisable by the bow, the flat rectangular bar used for rubbing strips and the curved transom stern.

N

You're quite right, it was Braunston Tunnel - brain fade! Mouse and Mole were the first two, Frog was built later, and was a bit bigger (certainly taller possibly longer) out of a stern end which had been removed from something else, and fitted with a Perkins 3.152. It was removed from Barby Wood and scrapped a good few years ago, and I think Mole has also gone the same way now. All three nose dived horribly under power if not attached to anything - you could submerge the front deck quite easily....

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

Any guess as to a date? CRT defines 'historic' as 50 years old I believe - not sure whether Mouse is quite that but definitely historically interesting. It was Stroudwater1's pictures which set me thinking about the need for a push tug for Vanadium. It would be particularly good if Vanadium is short enough that it will fit within a 70' lock with its push tug (and Mouse is about as short as it gets). All purely hypothetical of course, but sometimes serendipity works out...

Alec

They were designed to fit in a lock with a push tug, and worked with Bantams. The problem now is "Vanadium" has a cabin of sorts which would make forward vision from a Bantam or Bird class very tricky without CCTV.

• Greenie 1

Last time we walked along the towpath at Braunston, which was probably four years ago now, I noticed a tiny boat, looking quite sorry for itself, moored amongst the U.C.C. fleet. Would that have been one of this type?

12 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

2011 Historic Braunston meet, picture via Peter Scott, courtesy of Ian Mulford spacer.png

Who is Peter Scott? I certainly haven't given him permission to use my picture anywhere!

20 minutes ago, IanM said:

Who is Peter Scott? I certainly haven't given him permission to use my picture anywhere!

My hugest apologies if permission wasn't saught - its posted in the very large section on this forum Ian tonic required, many of the images are posted by Peterscott as I expect you see. He posted this image and attributed as I have done here. Very happy to remove the image, but as its in the tonic section I had presumed it was OK to cross post it. 

Personally I really enjoy that section of the forum, and many apologies if I have erred 

Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, agg221 said:

Any guess as to a date? CRT defines 'historic' as 50 years old I believe - not sure whether Mouse is quite that but definitely historically interesting. 
Alec

Braunston tunnel was closed from Sep 1978 until 1981.  The numbers on Mouse were issued in early in the BW 1980-81 series.

N

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

My hugest apologies if permission wasn't saught - its posted in the very large section on this forum Ian tonic required, many of the images are posted by Peterscott as I expect you see. He posted this image and attributed as I have done here. Very happy to remove the image, but as its in the tonic section I had presumed it was OK to cross post it. 

Personally I really enjoy that section of the forum, and many apologies if I have erred 

Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now

I wasn't aware that he'd used that picture on that thread.  Whilst it's freely available for anyone to look at on Flickr, he should have linked to the Flickr image and not downloaded it himself.

Edited to add:

The naughty boy has even cropped my watermark off!

Edited by IanM

3 hours ago, IanM said:

I wasn't aware that he'd used that picture on that thread.  Whilst it's freely available for anyone to look at on Flickr, he should have linked to the Flickr image and not downloaded it himself.

Edited to add:

The naughty boy has even cropped my watermark off!

I thought they were all his own photos he was posting, didn't realise he was posting other peoples.