Beta 50 Servicing

Featured Posts

Morning 🙂

Doing the first service (mine, not the boats) and just a few quick questions.

I changed the fuel filter, filled it 90% full and put it back on, done the primer on the top a couple dozen times and sounds like fuel is dripping back into the main tank? I was expecting it to go stiff when done but guessing that's not the case?

Also where is the oil drain on this engine, it's a bv2203 s, guessing it's near the filter somewhere but access is extremely limited and got more chance of breaking my neck then finding it atm, thanks 👍

IMG_20220107_092928.jpg

IMG_20220107_093109.jpg

Most Beta have an oil evacuator pump up top, which may have a low down isolation tap, and a bung in the end which you may need an allen key to open.

20220107_095632.jpg

If it hasnt got one of these, drain it through the dipstick hole using a Pela pump.

On the side of the fuel filter housing is.a bleed screw.

Edited by matty40s

Mine is on the opposite side of the engine to the pumps, I tend to use a Pela extractor to remove the oil through the dipstick as it's not as messy.

I never bother to refill the fuel filter, just crank it on the starter until it runs as it's self bleeding, it will start and then stop so you have to crank it twice.

2 minutes ago, CanalRetentive said:

That's what I thought but I don't seem to have one? There's one at the far end but that's on the gearbox? Attached a photo 👍

These pumps are usually connected by a hose to the bottom of the sump, so even if it's mounted next to the gearbox it might still be connected to the engine sump (probably is).

Also, re: the fuel filter - apologies if this is a stupid question but did you undo the bolt in the middle of your first photo when you pressed the manual priming button? I suspect (would check the manual though) that this is probably the bleed screw that you're supposed to vent the air out of when you press the priming button. When you stop getting air and get mostly fuel out of this hole then you're good to go.

2 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

These pumps are usually connected by a hose to the bottom of the sump, so even if it's mounted next to the gearbox it might still be connected to the engine sump (probably is).

Ahhhh, I will follow the pipes and investigate further, thanks.

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Mine is on the opposite side of the engine to the pumps, I tend to use a Pela extractor to remove the oil through the dipstick as it's not as messy.

I never bother to refill the fuel filter, just crank it on the starter until it runs as it's self bleeding, it will start and then stop so you have to crank it twice.

Thanks 👍

Not unless you want to empty gearbox as well 😯

One should be engine, one gearbox only open the engine one follow the pipes to find which is which.

Remember it's much easier to empty the oil when it's warm so better to run the engine for a bit to warm it up

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Not unless you want to empty gearbox as well 😯

One should be engine, one gearbox only open the engine one follow the pipes to find which is which.

Remember it's much easier to empty the oil when it's warm so better to run the engine for a bit to warm it up

😂 well I'm glad I asked instead of just going for it, I'll practice my yoga and see where they go, thanks again 👍

Agreed as to the bleed screw and pumping the rubber button on top until there is more diesel than bubbles.

Also agree about the fuel system being selfpriming. We found this out when we ran out of fuel (don't ask!) on our first trip out on 'Red Wharf' a long time ago.

This applies to a Beta 43, I'd guess a Beta 50 isn't that much different.

As to the stop cocks I'm guessing one of the pipes upstream of the junction is connected to the engine sump and the other to the gearbox. If so you're lucky!

There is a drain at the bottom of 'RW's PRM gearbox but I don't use it - worried that although I could remove the plug I doubt I'd get it back in again  - so I use a Pela type pump through the filler hole but I'm never sure I get all the old oil out.

Hope this helps (and well done for attaching some good, clear pics with your questions)

• Greenie 1

The first picture that you show of the fuel filter has the bleed screw on the side, you need a 10mm spanner to remove that, and pump away with the black knob on the top on the filter until it squirts out neat diesel (use some kitchen towel to catch the diesel).  Then put the bleed screw back in and it should fire up fine.

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The first picture that you show of the fuel filter has the bleed screw on the side, you need a 10mm spanner to remove that, and pump away with the black knob on the top on the filter until it squirts out neat diesel (use some kitchen towel to catch the diesel).  Then put the bleed screw back in and it should fire up fine.

Yep all done now, working fine, thanks for the advice, hopefully the thread will help someone else out in future too 👍