Selling my boat

Haili

Featured Posts

Hi there, new to the site. I bought stupidly bought a boat without a survey. She’s a project 48ft long 8ft wide Dutch barge. I’ve completely stripped her and put new flooring in and a brand new stove. My circumstances have changed and I need to move off the boat and back to my family. I bought her by trading my old cruiser and payed and extra 5K which adds up to 18k all together. I understand people would be reluctant to buy the boat without the survey. What price realistically should I put it up for? Any suggestions. Thanks, Hayley 

7 minutes ago, Haili said:

Hi there, new to the site. I bought stupidly bought a boat without a survey. She’s a project 48ft long 8ft wide Dutch barge. I’ve completely stripped her and put new flooring in and a brand new stove. My circumstances have changed and I need to move off the boat and back to my family. I bought her by trading my old cruiser and payed and extra 5K which adds up to 18k all together. I understand people would be reluctant to buy the boat without the survey. What price realistically should I put it up for? Any suggestions. Thanks, Hayley 

A genuine Dutch barge? When was she built?

If yes, value will depend a lot on how pretty. Can you post a photo and some basic info about when built and where, what engine, any survey info etc? 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

A genuine Dutch barge? When was she built?

If yes, value will depend a lot on how pretty. Can you post a photo and some basic info about when built and where, what engine, any survey info etc? 

Yes she was built in Holland 1951. The previous owner claims she was overplated. It’s an inline 4 engine not sure what brand. I’ve just installed a new alternator and she runs very lovely. I don’t have any survey information at all on paper. Ive started the insulation which I’ll have completed. I fit a small solar panel which is my only power on currently. I’ll add some photos on here too! Thanks! 

748D47E4-9206-4361-9627-9FBBD36B2BB6.jpeg

889B20B1-7F90-48D1-87C3-7E9B6CD208D3.jpeg

Typically surveys are conducted at the point of sale, at the buyers request and expense (ideally by an independent surveyor) , so the fact you do not have a current survey shouldn’t be an issue for the sale.

One of the best tests you can do is to hit it with the back of a ball peen hammer while on drydock/hardstanding as well as a condition check on the engine, that is all I would really be after, although I would likely pay surveyor to do that for me. Maybe some ultrasound readings to determine plate thickness in a few select areas.

As said, if it needs hull work, it is easy to access at this point in time. Your choices are either to use broker, or direct list with sites such as Apollo Duck. Depending where in the world you are (Bath?) , freinds of mine at Northwick Drydock manage boat sales as well as maintenance. http://www.northwichdrydock.com/about/

Good luck.

Daniel