Gold or standard licence?

Morningmist

Featured Posts

Admittedly ferry gliding a 70ft narrow boat for the first time will concentrate my mind somewhat, but at a displacement of 25 tons I don't even want to imagine the damage I could cause if it all went wrong.  So I think I will take it quite easy, and I don't need unnecessary self-imposed excitement at my stage of life, been there dun that!!!, My engine is the standard Beta 43  driving an 18" Crowther propeller, so I hope it will  be up to what I ask of it. Thank you all again, this is giving me plenty to think about and the link with the tidal gauges is excellent and live webcams as well, 90 cubic m of water per second is a lot of water, certainly far more than can come out of some CRT water taps!.

• Greenie 1

We are currently slowly making our way up to Reading. We've so far had 5 days of no travel because that's what happens on the Thames this time of year. Listen to the advice of the lock keepers, even ask their opinion if you are unsure, we will get to the K&A, our friends know to expect us when we get there and they have an even longer wait than expected as we've already missed the starting date for 5 weeks work on one of the locks we need to go through. So we have a list of things to do and by the end of next week I've an oil and filter change to add to the list. That's the joy of being retired and travelling around in your floating home, you don't have to worry about where you'll be the next day or week. You are where you are so make the most of it, our dogs don't mind whose field it is they run around in.

Yes, that's just about our lifestyle as well, progress driven only for the need of fuel, water, provisions and the sense of curiosity. Thank you for your honest insight to winter voyaging, with added delays due to river levels and winter stoppages, and for the valuable advice given by local lockkeepers.