Second hand batteries

Theo

Featured Posts

I am sure that this subject has been discussed before but I can't track it down using the search function.

Can anyone give me a lnk to a supplier?

LA is sensitive to misuse and degrade in proper use anyway.  If I get second hand, are they going to be any better value than new since they are bound to have lost some capacity.

What about 2nd hand lithium?  I know that there are lots of issues to be addressed if I go for lithium but is it likely at this state that 2nd had will be better than new.

I look forward to reading more...

TIA

Nick

If it's of any use I have 2 T105s, about 7 years old but still with quite good capacity. The other 2 are now in my caravan. Only trouble is that they are in Aberdeen and you aren't!

As to second hand Li batteries I think it is a bit of a gamble. If you get the Valence types with built in BMS then they "remember" any abuse and it can be viewed via a PC, but on the other hand that built in BMS acts as a barrier between you and the cells, without actually doing what is necessary (providing cell level disconnection in the event of over or under charge).

If you are going for bare cells then I think it is a big gamble as the scope for seriously damaging them is high. Depends on how cheap, I suppose. New cells are getting cheaper, as mentioned on another thread you can get 400Ah (12v) for under £1k. But then of course you need a BMS with emergency disconnect and a modified charging regime.

Edited by nicknorman

Thanks, Nick.

What about 2nd hand lead acid?  Does anyone have any recommendations as to suppliers?

N

Edited by Theo
Add a bit

3 minutes ago, Theo said:

Thanks, Nick.

What about 2nd hand lead acid?  Does anyone have any recommendations as to suppliers?

N

you'd think s/h LAs were a waste of effort but who here remembers Vince, who worked (I think) for Autoglass, who replaced the domestic LAs in their mobile screen fitter vehicles annually regardless of their condition, and let Vince dispose of them however he saw fit, i.e. he sold them on here for £25 each and had many happy buyers.

Yes.

I remember the discussion but not the details.  I was the happy recipient of date expired backup batteries but that source has dried up due to retirement.  😒

Used "good name " batteries can be good buying........when I had the yard,people would often have good boat batteries replaced because they were flat ,and consequently I was spoiled for free batteries......a 'good name' battery can be left flat for maybe six months and be OK for engine starting.......the junk ebay specials are dead the day after they go flat,and dead when the warranty runs out anyway......My pick for best would be  "Caterpillar" OEM batteries,then 'Yuasa' batteries.