Metro dreamland

Mike Jordan

Featured Posts

I was in my hairdresser's today when she had a very gentle conversation with an older lady who'd paid by cheque a few weeks ago .She'd put 2021 on the cheque & the bank wouldn't accept it.The lady was miffed as she'd worked in a bank for yonks & said they used to give a number of weeks leeway with dates at new year.She was most put out !

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

When did you last hear of anyone being paid by cheque?

It's a quite common alternative to cash. In the last few months I've paid the chimney sweep, the Rayburn service engineer, the house painter and the bloke who fitted an anti-bird cowl on our chimney by cheque, also CART's boat licence and mooring fees. Cheques have arrived with my share dividends, a payment for a set of album liner notes and (yippee!) Ernie winnings.

So, the brief answer to your question is "very recently".

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That was the context of "paycheque" in the article you linked to.

Surly in that context it was not the actual payment but for want of a better word the invoice where you checked you had been paid the right amount and not cheque 

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's a quite common alternative to cash. In the last few months I've paid the chimney sweep, the Rayburn service engineer, the house painter and the bloke who fitted an anti-bird cowl on our chimney by cheque, also CART's boat licence and mooring fees. Cheques have arrived with my share dividends, a payment for a set of album liner notes and (yippee!) Ernie winnings.

So, the brief answer to your question is "very recently".

Amazing Ludditery.

I haven't had occasion to write or receive a cheque for at least a decade, and my business turnover is well into six figures. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

My daughter and her husband are in the process of buying their first house. They were obliged to pay some fees  the solicitor by cheque: bank transfer is not permitted apparently. It's the first one she has had to write for years. 

I always used to pay my utilities bills by cheque, and still do for British Gas. E.On recently revised their billing arrangements (monthly rather than quarterly), and as they no longer provide a paying-in slip, and I don't want to set up a standing order, I now pay by cash at the post office, which is actually quite convenirnt.  I do have the option of sticking a cheque in the post. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My daughter and her husband are in the process of buying their first house. They were obliged to pay some fees  the solicitor by cheque: bank transfer is not permitted apparently. It's the first one she has had to write for years.

That must be a new thing if universal. I buy or sell houses quite often and my solicitor has been entirely happy for me to send money to them and for them to send sale proceeds to me by internet banking. I haven't bought a house since Nov 2019 though, so possibly some rules have been tightened.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Amazing Ludditery.

Tee-hee. 

You know where you are with cheques (or to be more accurate, I know where I am with cheques). If other people have different preferences, it's good that they have freedom of choice in their payment methods.

Oh, I forgot to mention the council tax and the electricity bill. In the latter case, paying by cheque saved me from a lot of potential bother: by some sort of computer brainstorm, instead of sending me a bill for about £200, British Gas sent me one for £5,735. If they had tried to take that directly from my account, there would have been difficulty.

• 4 months later...

I see this bunch of clowns is still at it! Todays seems to be telling young women of the cheap living on a narrow boat.

Never mind news let’s give them free bull——! Or even recycled bull ——! Cut in squares and hang it up to make it useful I say.