Metro dreamland

Mike Jordan

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Loddon said:

Battery storage is what you need, so I am led to believe

Yes this. 

I believe a Tesla "Powerwall" can be had for about £7k. Terribly tempting! Plus the solar panels obvs. 

How do I fix the solar panels onto my thatched roof though? 🤔

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes this. 

I believe a Tesla "Powerwall" can be had for about £7k. Terribly tempting! Plus the solar panels obvs. 

How do I fix the solar panels onto my thatched roof though? 🤔

From a friend on Facebook I don't think he posts here

"

October power update.
The lack of sun last month meant we had to use some power from the grid last month, amounting to 23Kwh costing £4.50. Which is 20% of what we used in October last year.
On days when we don't generate enough to run the house , the battery doesn't do much, but it looks like we will get it fully charged today, which will power us for tonight and tomorrow. So even now it's not a waste of money, just not as effective as March - September .
So taking the 3 full months since we had the battery installed our power usage has been 15% of what it was during the same period last year"
Comment

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

From a friend on Facebook I don't think he posts here

"

October power update.
The lack of sun last month meant we had to use some power from the grid last month, amounting to 23Kwh costing £4.50. Which is 20% of what we used in October last year.
On days when we don't generate enough to run the house , the battery doesn't do much, but it looks like we will get it fully charged today, which will power us for tonight and tomorrow. So even now it's not a waste of money, just not as effective as March - September .
So taking the 3 full months since we had the battery installed our power usage has been 15% of what it was during the same period last year"
Comment

Another advantage of battery power is you can charge it from the grid and then use it when there is not enough sun. On the 3rd January Octopus were paying consumers on the agile tarriff who used electricity between the hours of 0000 and 0500. 😉

20220113_120327.jpg

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

Another advantage of battery power is you can charge it from the grid and then use it when there is not enough sun. On the 3rd January Octopus were paying consumers on the agile tarriff who used electricity between the hours of 0000 and 0500. 😉

20220113_120327.jpg

But how long will it take for the electricity bill savings to cover the cost of the battery and control equipment?

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But how long will it take for the electricity bill savings to cover the cost of the battery and control equipment?

Probably about the same amount of time as it will take for the hurricanes and sea level rises on their way from global warming to swamp Weymouth and plenty more coastal towns. 

On 06/01/2022 at 10:27, Mike Jordan said:

Yet another half baked story featuring living on a canal boat for little or no cost. Journalists must be the cause of most of this countries problems, they are paid to make it up!

Thought that was politicians? 

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Paycheck"? Which country does this journalist come from?

The United States of Socialmedia. It’s become so ingrained in peoples lives you can actually hear it in children’s accents, phraseology and speech patterns. I fear the end is nigh for regional dialects :( 

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The United States of Socialmedia. It’s become so ingrained in peoples lives you can actually hear it in children’s accents, phraseology and speech patterns. I fear the end is nigh for regional dialects :( 

And thank goodness for that given Angela Rayner's recent question in the House of Commons to the PM:

"Was you there or wasn't you there at the party, Prime minister?"

And her supporters excuse this abominable mangulation of the English Language as "Stockport dialect"! 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

And thank goodness for that given Angela Rayner's recent question in the House of Commons to the PM:

And her supporters excuse this abominable mangulation of the English Language as "Stockport dialect"! 

But if you can’t tell where folk are from by their accent, how will you know if they’re wrong ‘uns or not?

• Haha 1

Some years back a crime story appeared in a local paper in the Bristol area, it was a very unpleasant story which had the effect of informing everyone of a new idea for assault.  A few days later the same story (word for word ) appeared in a news paper belonging to the same group  and circulating in the Newcastle area.

At the time it raised the question of how much truth existed in the original story! By taking an interest in the boating story we may be encouraging the clowns to write ( or repeat )more rubbish.

Edited by Mike Jordan
Missing text

56 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The United States of Socialmedia. 

🤣

I'm not aware of the term being used instead of the more common term "salary"; but if it is, surely it should be "pay cheque".

1 hour ago, MtB said:

And did they all know what she meant?

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

🤣

I'm not aware of the term being used instead of the more common term "salary"; but if it is, surely it should be "pay cheque".

Only posh people in management had salaries when I was on my tools, the rest of us just got wages

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And did they all know what she meant?

Only posh people in management had salaries when I was on my tools, the rest of us just got wages

Salaries are paid monthly, wages are paid weekly (so, as a schoolmaster, I was on a salary). The expression "the average weekly wage" is quite often used.

There may be exceptions, but that's generally the case.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Salaries are paid monthly, wages are paid weekly (so, as a schoolmaster, I was on a salary). The expression "the average weekly wage" is quite often used.

When I was on a wage, it was very weak. 

Also as my dad used to point out, those on a salary work one day every four years without pay. The leap day, February 29th.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

I worked shifts and if you were unlucky you caught the 9 hour night when the clocks changed

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

When did you last hear of anyone being paid by cheque?

We got one yesterday from UKPower paying for the post in our garden.

edit
Did I misunderstand, did you mean get their wages by cheque

Edited by ditchcrawler